Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 17

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

With my husband out of town for work during the first half of the week, solo parenting made it a challenge to get everything in last week.  I did my best, and that’s all that I can ask of myself.  In an effort to still get my workouts in before I had to pick little man up from daycare I pushed myself out the door from school very quickly at the end of the school day, which means that my grading is piled up higher than I would like, but for my own sanity I knew that if I didn’t still get my workouts in that I’d be a grumpy Mommy.

Monday, September 24th

A very rainy day pushed me to the gym after work for my first run of the week.  After running 5 miles on the treadmill I walked an additional mile.

I was a very happy Mommy to be able to get my run in before I had to pick little man up from daycare.

Tuesday, September 25th

After work I headed back to the gym for cross and weight training.  I spent 35 minutes on the elliptical and followed that up with 30 minutes of upper and lower body weight training.

Wednesday, September 26th

Between my weekly chiropractor appointment and errands that needed to be run afterwards I didn’t have time to also get a workout in.  Mommy responsibilities were a higher priority that day.

Thursday, September 27th

More heavy rain meant that my second run of the week was also completed on the treadmill.  Certainly not ideal so close to the big race, but I wasn’t going to risk getting sick and/or slipping and getting injured by running outside in the heavy rain.

I was so happy to be able to complete another strong run so close to race day.

Friday, September 28th

I was more than happy to take a rest day the day prior to my long run.  It had been a long week and I needed the mental and physical break from trying to squeeze everything in after work.

Saturday, September 29th

After a week of soggy, rainy weather Saturday’s weather was absolutely beautiful.  It was a beautiful early fall morning and was perfect running weather for my last long run before Chicago.  I had 8 miles on tap, but felt so good that I pushed myself to 9 miles.  I really hope that this run was a sign of how I’ll feel on race day.

I felt on top of the world after my last long run of Chicago training was a strong one.

Sunday, September 30th

Although I didn’t get a formal workout in I did spend a couple of hours outside walking around at a Touch a Truck event.  I thoroughly enjoyed our family time together doing a fun activity for little man.

Who doesn’t enjoy being able to “drive” a fire truck?

Total Weekly Mileage – 23.72 miles (6.77 miles less than week 16)

Total Chicago Mileage – 454.79 miles

QOTD: Is it finally starting to feel like fall in your area?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 17

1. Coco says:

Sounds like you are ready for Chicago! I hope the weather is good next weekend too. Little man looks so cute in that trick!

2. kookyrunner says:

Looks like you had a great week of workouts before race week! Good luck this weekend and enjoy every minute of it.

3. What a fantastic week and training cycle you have had! You are going to rock Chicago!

4. chaitali says:

We had such beautiful weather this weekend! I’m glad that you had a good run Saturday and here’s to Chicago being a wonderful race for you 🙂

5. Darlene says:

Doesn’t it feel good to say Last Long Run!!

Hope you have a great race in Chicago and that you ENJOY it. can’t wait to hear about it. maybe it will motivate me to do ONE.

6. Cari says:

Touch a Truck, ❤
    Congrats on an awesome week, and I love your Wednesday shoes. Such fun vibrant color. Good luck next week!

7. Organic Runner Mom says:

Our leaves are changing and the temps are definitely fall temps which is great for running. You are getting so close to race day! So exciting. Sounds like you were smart to stick inside during the pouring rain. No need to risk getting sick so close to your race!

8. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I’m glad you had a strong week leading up to the marathon! I can’t wait to see how you do – I know you’ll do great!

We had a really nice weekend with actual sunshine, and this week looks to be pretty sunny, so I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts!

9. Your rainy week sounds about what we have in the forecast for this week in Iowa. I almost resorted to the ‘mill this morning, but it was just foggy with some heavy mist…so, outside! Good luck in Chicago!

10. I cannot believe it’s already time for Chicago! Have an amazing time you have worked hard -enjoy

11. AJ says:

You did great getting your workouts in! We are in full on Fall with continuous rain:(

12. Virjinia says:

Sounds like you made the best of a rainy week! It’s been the same here so I had to do a treadmill run and I was not a fan. Hopefully race day will have good weather and be a breeze! Good luck!

13. It’s here, it’s here, it’s finally here! So awesome! You are going to do so well! I hope that everything is wonderful in Chicago!

No fall here, yet! Maybe by February!

14. runninglikeadork says:

Have a great race!! I can’t wait to hear how it goes for you!

15. Wendy says:

You are so ready!!! I’ll be there between mile 13 and mile 13.5. I’ll look for you!!! Good luck!

16. Smitha says:

It’s go time!!! All the very best to you. ps: I have those very same shoes!

My Sunday run also felt great and I could’ve kept running. Let’s hope both of us have that feeling for our races this coming Sunday! I hope you have a ton of fun in Chicago.

Great job with your training this week and best of luck to you in Chicago! I know the race is going to go well for you! 🙂

19. HoHo Runs says:

Your little guy is so cute in that fire truck! I hope you have a wonderful race. Enjoy every step. Thanks for linking!