One week from today, I will be on my way to Chicago where I will run my second marathon. With only 9 days to go until the big race, I am feeling a multitude of different feelings, including happiness, excitement, and nervousness.
Part of why I’m incredibly excited is because Chicago Marathon weekend will not just be about running the race but will also be a weekend filled with family time. In addition to my husband and son joining me in Chicago for the weekend, my parents and sister are also joining us as well. We’re all excited about spending the long weekend together.
Some of what I’m most looking forward to next weekend includes:
1. Spending Friday afternoon at the expo. Most people either love or hate expos, and I’m one of those who loves them. I always enjoy soaking in the excitement of race weekend that can be felt throughout the entire expo, browsing the merchandise that the vendors bring in, and most importantly, officially kicking off race weekend.
2. Representing Team RMHC. When I considered signing up for my second marathon, specifically Chicago, I didn’t think about signing up any other way than by once again joining Team Ronald McDonald House Charities. I’m incredibly honored to represent this amazing organization for the second year in a row. If this year’s Chicago experience is anything like last year’s was, then running with the team will make my second marathon an incredibly meaningful one. And although I have reached my initial fundraising goal, you can still make a donation to RMHC on my fundraising page.
3. Celebrating my sister’s birthday. Next Saturday is my sister’s birthday and the entire family is looking forward to celebrating her special day together.
4. Seeing “Hamilton”. Several months ago my dad asked if any of us wanted to see “Hamilton” while we are in Chicago for the weekend. Ummmm, yes please! We have tickets to the matinee on Saturday, and I am looking forward to seeing the musical while also resting up for the big race.
5. Running my second marathon, which is the main reason that my entire family is headed to Chicago. I’m excited yet also nervous about how the race will go. And like I usually do, I have three goals for the race:
Goal A: Finish the race in under 5:08:04 (11:45 pace) – Given how my training has gone I think that running an 11:45 pace would mean that I feel great on race day, that my body is able to take full advantage of Chicago’s flat course, and that overall, the stars align for me to be able to run a strong race.
Goal B: Finish the race in under 5:14:38 (12:00 pace) – During most of my recent long runs I’ve been averaging a 12 minute pace, so reaching this goal would be very consistent with my performance during recent long runs.
Goal C: Finish the race in under 5:23:35 (12:31 pace) – This was my finish time last year and my main goal at this year’s race is to PR.
The final countdown to Chicago is on, and I only have a couple of more runs to complete before race day. Just 9 days to go until I run my second marathon! As I always do, I’ll be taking tons of pictures thoughout the entire weekend, so be sure to follow along on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. I’ll be using the same hashtag that I did last year and that I have throughout my entire training journey this year, #KathrynRunsChicago.
QOTD: If you’ll be running Chicago, what are you most looking forward to about race weekend?