Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 16

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Although I’m now in taper mode for Chicago that does not mean that I all of a sudden have extra free time.  In fact, tapering couldn’t have started at a better time given that the school year is now well underway, which means that I always have work that needs to be done for school.  In addition, life at home is busier than ever.  If anything, being in taper mode is just making it easier to balance everything, although sometimes prioritizing my family means that working out has to take a backseat.

Monday, September 17th

Despite my desire to work out there simply was not any time.  After school I had a chiropractor appointment, as well as errands that needed to be run.  After getting little man to bed I also had some work that needed to get done for school.  Some days despite the best intentions working out simply cannot be at the top of the priority list.

Tuesday, September 18th

Tuesday was the complete opposite of Monday when it came to working out.  I was able to take full advantage of the early fall weather and get in a 4.75 mile solo run before walking to and from daycare to pick up little man.  I cannot remember the last time that I logged over 7 miles on a weekday.

The stars seemed to align on Tuesday to allow me to log the number of miles that I did.

Wednesday, September 19th

After school I immediately headed to the gym with the hopes of getting in a solid workout. As I got off of the elliptical my husband informed me that he was stuck in really bad traffic due to multiple car accidents and likely wouldn’t make it to daycare in time to pick up little man.  After only 15 minutes of weight training I had to cut my workout short in order to get to daycare myself.  Mommy duties are always a much higher priority than working out is.

Thursday, September 20th

Between another solo run followed by a walking commute to daycare I was very excited to be able to log another 7 miles, especially after having my workout cut short the day before.

My legs were very tired after running and walking another 7 miles. Maybe little man can start pushing me in the stroller?!?

Friday, September 21st

My planned rest day the day before my long run allowed me to be able to run a handful of errands after work.  Active rest day for the win.

Saturday, September 22nd

Last week’s long run was one of those runs that you hope to have every week.  I felt incredibly strong throughout my entire run, and I really hope that how I felt during the run is an indication of how Chicago will go in just under two weeks.  Fingers crossed!

I felt so accomplished after last week’s 12 miler.

Sunday, September 23rd

Despite wanting to get to the gym for a good workout, especially since I barely had any time for weight training last week, running errands and spending time as a family won out.  Like I mentioned earlier, often times working out is not the top priority when you have a young child.

Total Weekly Mileage – 30.49 miles (5.32 miles less than week 15)

Total Chicago Mileage – 431.07 miles

QOTD: How do you balance your fitness and family priorities?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 16

That’s great that you got in two 7 mile days during the week! It sounds like the taper is hitting at a good time given all the other stuff you have on your plate 🙂

2. kookyrunner says:

Woohoo! Enjoy the awesome taper time – you earned it!! 🙂

3. Darlene says:

I think the most I can fit into a weekday is 4 miles. Good for you.
    Fitting it all in is so tough. It’s one the big reasons I hesitate to train for a full. I don’t want running to take over my life and yet it is important and I enjoy it.

Congrats. Welcome to tapertime.

4. Organic Runner Mom says:

Hooray for taper time! Great job fitting everything in. It can be a juggling act at times!

5. Liz Dexter says:

Brilliant work! I really don’t know how people with small person responsibilities manage to marathon train – huge kudos to you!

Wow, two 7-mile runs is awesome! I rarely do more than 3 during the week with everything going on. Sounds like a great time for taper too. Good luck these next two weeks!

7. wow race day is quickly approaching! Take care and enjoy your taper

8. I entered Tapertown yesterday immediately following my 20-miler 😉 I could not be happier 😉 Hard to believe our marathons are almost here!

9. Trying to fit everything definitely gets tough sometimes. Looks like you had a great week! Enjoy your taper!

10. Great job on anther week of training. You will be all set for this marathon coming up!

11. Hooray for taper time!! Remember that it’s all part of the training and tapering and the shorter distances are just as important as the long runs you have done. It’s time to let the training sink in and be ready to race! Good luck!!

12. Coco says:

I’m in Chicago this week and Facebook keeps showing me ads for the marathon and related events! Too bad my conference wasn’t timed better. I think you do a great job of juggling everything think.

13. Cari says:

NIcely done! A number of the pacers for yesterday’s shakeout for Bronx 10 ran Berlin or are running Chicago.
    I couldn’t train and take care of another human being. I’m way too selfish

14. runswithpugs says:

Girl, you are singing my song. It is SO HARD sometimes. We just have to do the best we can, and hope for the best. I tend to just get up at absurdly early hours to get in my miles. It’s not ideal but that’s the spare time I have.

15. Wendy says:

Yep, life gets in the way of fitness… singing the song of the working moms everywhere…

You did the best you could and that will be good enough!

You had a great week! Logging over 7 miles on two weekdays is definitely a win! Great job!!

17. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

Great job this week on getting in the miles! I can’t wait to hear about the big day!!

18. HoHo Runs says:

There was a time in my life when I needed to get up at 4 am to get my runs done before my kids woke up. I didn’t always make that early call. But, it’s all about doing what you can – when you can…and you’ve done a great job juggling it all this training cycle. You are going to have an amazing marathon! Enjoy your taper time. Thanks for linking!

19. Farrah says:

Hooray for taper time! I hope you’re enjoying it and major props to you for being able to balance so many things!!

20. You have done an amazing job with your training, and you are going to rock Chicago next weekend! Enjoy the taper. I’ve been torn in a million directions pretty much my entire adult life. We do what we can do!