Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 15

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Last week felt like a redemption week when it came to working out and my marathon training overall.  The timing of a “redemption week” couldn’t have been more perfect as I reached the peak of marathon training on Saturday with my running of the infamous 20 miler.  And to further add to the exciting week, I reached my minimum fundraising goal on Friday!!!  There’s certainly a lot to celebrate from last week.

Monday, September 10th

Despite the rainy and dreary weather, I was determined to get out for a run after work after being sick and not being able to workout much the week prior.  It felt great to sweat for 4.25 miles.

It felt so good to be able to workout for the first time in 5 days.

Tuesday, September 11th

After work I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical and then did 40 minutes of full body weight training.  Just like on Monday, it felt great to sweat and get a workout in after a difficult week the week prior.

Wednesday, September 12th

I headed back to the gym after work on Wednesday for a 5 mile run on the treadmill.  Due to the 100% humidity it was a very sweaty run.  After my run I completed a half mile cool down walk.

25 days out from the marathon it felt great to complete a strong run.

Thursday, September 13th

Since I was tight on time prior to picking little man up from daycare I didn’t have time to get to the gym for a workout.  So instead I did a walking commute to pick him up, and added some extra mileage to the route on the way home.  I wound up walking a total of 3.16 miles.

Friday, September 14th

Although I took a complete rest day in anticipation of my 20 miler on Saturday, Friday was still an exciting day since I reached my minimum fundraising goal mid-day.

Fundraising this year was much more challenging than it was last year, so I was incredibly excited to receive this e-mail on Friday.

Saturday, September 15th

Saturday marked the peak of marathon training with the infamous 20 miler.  It was a cool 69 degrees and cloudy when I started my run, and by the end was 79 degrees with some sunshine peeking through the clouds.  I opted to run on my go-to hilly long run route.  Although Chicago is super flat I’m hopeful that by running on all of the hills that I have that it’ll help to make me that much more prepared for race day.

Despite the hills and 100% humidity I pushed through and averaged a 12:20 pace.  This was nearly a full minute slower than my 20 miler last year.  While seeing this difference was initially discouraging, I have since reminded myself that I completed these training runs in different locations and under much different conditions.  The most important thing is that I pushed through the challenges of running on hills in very humid weather.  Despite having to slowly reduce my run interval and increase my walk interval the further that I ran, particularly in the last couple of miles, I still crossed the 20 miler finish line and am that much closer to race day.

Yay for having completed my 20 mile training run!

Sunday, September 16th

Although I didn’t complete a formal workout yesterday, I spent a good portion of the afternoon and early evening volunteering at a local consignment sale.  During the sale I wound up walking over 6 miles!

Total Weekly Mileage – 35.81 miles (21.50 miles more than week 14)

Total Chicago Mileage – 400.58 miles

QOTD: How training milestone(s) did you reach last week?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 15

1. Huge congrats for meeting your fundraising goal and hitting that 20 mile distance! That’s a great confidence boost. I could use one of those weeks myself after this summer of humidity

2. kookyrunner says:

You’re right – so much to celebrate last week! Congrats on your fundraising and knocking out your 20 miler! I can relate to what you mean about sometimes feeling sad about seeing slower running times. Like you, I’ve reminded myself that the time doesn’t matter, it’s all about pushing through and finishing.

3. Organic Runner Mom says:

Way to go reaching your fundraising minimum! that is awesome. Also way to get that 20 done! It always feels good when you get that under your belt!

4. Wendy says:

Yay is right!!! Nice job on that 20 miler AND reaching your fundraising goal. I think raising money is almost more difficult than training for the race. If nothing else, it’s an added stressor!

5. swosei12blog says:

Congrats on the 20 miles.

Sounds like a great week! Congratulations on both the fundraising and the 20 miler. It sounds like you’re ready for race day 🙂

7. Liz Dexter says:

Yay well done, and a really good idea to put as many hills in as you could. I have always tried to get more hills in than there actually will be in the race, to make the race seem easier. You’ve got this! Also what brand is your running vest? it looks just like mine!

8. Cari says:

Nicely done on the 20 and the fundraising goal. Such a relief.
    No training milestones for me, but happy with my week. I’m two weeks out from the Bronx 10 Miler and think/hope I’m ready despite training not being perfect

9. Great job completing your 20 miler. You are ready for your Marathon! I finally did a 21 miler yesterday and it was very hot and humid as well. You would think the temps would be a bit cooler now that it is September.

I do compare my long runs from previous cycles, and I don’t know why. The conditions are never the same, and each run is an accomplishment. 20 miles is 20 miles, and you did great to get them done. Now it’s time to taper!

11. Congrats!! You’re ready! 20 miles is 20 miles,no matter the pace it takes to get it done. My 20-miler is on deck for this coming Saturday….I’ll be so glad to have that run done!

12. Katie says:

I love to read your training logs, as I am training for my first marathon, and you provide me with a good experienced perspective on things. Would you mind sharing what your run walk intervals for your long runs are? I am doing 4 run to 1 walk, but am not sure it’s optimal. My marathon isn’t until December, so I have some time to adjust. Congratulations on your 20 miler! Can’t wait to read your recap after you finish Chicago!

• Depending on the length of my long run I use either 4:15/0:45 intervals, or 4/1 intervals. The longer the run the more likely I am to use 4/1 intervals.

• Katie says:

Thank you! I am going to stick with the 4:1. It actually really helps me a lot to know that you have used that interval successfully in a marathon!

Good luck in Chicago! Can’t wait to read your recap…

13. Congrats on reaching your fundraising goal!!! Also, awesome with your 20 miles…I’m still far away from thinking about a full marathon.

14. runswithpugs says:

Congratulations on all those milestones! Definitely a lot to celebrate! As usual, keep it up! Marathon day will be here before you know it and it’s going to be amazing!

Last week, I hit 75% of my 1000 miles in 2018 goal, which is pretty fun.

15. What a big week for you! Congrats on reaching your fundraising goal and completing your 20 miler!

16. AJ says:

Congratulations on your training and your fundraising! Sounds like you are ready:)

17. Yay for both reaching your fundraising goal & for finishing your 20 miler! I am currently training for a half marathon, and this weekend I had to do 11 miles. Usually I am pumped for a run, but was struggling from mile 1. It was hot and humid and I was dragging my feet. But I did get it done! It definitely wasn’t 20 miles, but I know what you mean when you see your pace and are disappointed afterwards.The good news is the humidity and hills are making us stronger!

18. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You had a fantastic week! Congrats on the big 2-0 miler and reaching your fundraising goal! I would get disappointed when my long runs were slower than expected, but believe me, it’s all quality miles! The race is really getting close! 🙂

19. Super job on your 20 miler and congrats on reaching your fundraising goal! Must feel good.

20. HoHo Runs says:

Congratulations on the long run and on reaching your fundraising goal! It’s very true, we really can’t compare one training cycle or run to another one…something will always be different. I didn’t reach any milestones this week. I’m just trying to survive the summer heat and get back into the swing of things. Thanks for linking!

21. goingvertical901 says:

Love this blog great work