September 2018 Goals

After a very successful and productive July, I was quite optimistic that August would be just the same.  Although I started the month off full of motivation and enthusiasm, both of those fizzled a bit towards the end of the month as I transitioned back into the school routine.

Even though I’m disappointed with how I ended the month, overall August was a successful month when it came towards meeting my monthly goals.

1.  Log at least 130 miles.

Grade: A

My August mileage total was 126.2 miles, which was 97% of my 130 miles goal.  The reality was that I was only one workout short of reaching my goal, but as I shared in Monday’s weekly recap, last week was an incredibly exhausting week and I just didn’t have it in me to get that last workout in for the month.

My August miles brings my 2018 mileage total to 769.6 miles, which means that I’m only 30.4 miles from being 100% on track with my goal to log 1,200 miles this year.  I know that with focus and hard work that I can reach my mileage goal by the end of the year.

2.  Work out at least six days per week.

Grade: C

Most weeks I worked out four or five days per week.  I’ve come to the realization that as a working mother of an active toddler that I don’t have the time and energy to dedicate to working out all but one day each week.  And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

3.  Focus on healthy eating.

Grade: A-

With only a few exceptions I was very pleased with my food choices last month.  By fueling my body with healthy food I was able to stay as active as I did.

4.  Continue to stay on track while away from home.

Grade: A

While away from home during the first half of the month, I managed to not only focus on healthy eating but also staying active.

September is going to be an incredibly busy month.  Not only is it my last full month of marathon training, but it is also the first full month of the school year.  On top of that, my family has quite a few social activities on our calendar this month.  I will certainly be challenged when it comes to staying on track but I’m determined to do it.

1.  Log at least 140 miles.

Given that I have three double digit long runs this month, I’m optimistic that I can log at least 140 miles this month.

2.  Work out at least five days per week.

I think that working out five days per week is a much more realistic goal than six days was, especially now that I’m back at work.

3.  Reach my RMHC fundraising goal.

Regular readers of my blog know that I will be running Chicago as a charity runner with Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  As of today I am 72% of the way towards reaching my fundraising goal of $1,000.  Given that I’m expected to reach this goal by October 1st, including this on my list of goals for September is a no brainer.  Even though reaching this goal isn’t completely in my control, I am more likely to receive additional donations if I continue to educate friends and family about the mission and success of RMHC.

4.  Incorporate self care into my routine.

As the school year continues on my daily stress will also likely increase.  In order to prevent some of consequences of high amounts of stress that I’ve been faced with in the past, it will be important that I take time for myself in order to help destress.

QOTD: What are your goals for September?

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to September 2018 Goals

1. Darlene says:

Wow! You have BIG goals esp with mileage.

No Goals here!

But I do hope to increase my monthly mileage. I have been slacking off.
    I want to stay healthy and have fun at my Sept half in Montreal.

2. kookyrunner says:

I think that August is a really hard month for so many people because there’s a ton of stuff going on, but I still say you had an awesome month! Training for a marathon in this summer heat is certainly no picnic!

Good Luck on your September goals 🙂

I have one more long run before I taper, and right now I seem to be fighting some crud that comes about with a new school year. I goal is self care to stop this thing in its tracks (hopefully!), and to enjoy my week in the mountains.

I especially love your number 4 goal! 🙂 Great job in August!!

5. Liz Dexter says:

Great work in August – well done. And look, I work for myself, from home, and have no children, and I consider five days a week working out in some way to be adequate! Good luck for September, make sure you get that extra sleep in now for the marathon training big runs. My goal is to reach 750 miles by the end of the month, to keep up with my 1,000 miles in the year target. Should be fine as I’m a little ahead of myself (thanks to Mara training in the spring!).

6. AJ says:

With a new principal and new secretary, my biggest goal is to survive September! However, I am also hoping to get back to my running and bootcamp routines. I miss having muscle!

7. I like your goals – especially attention to self-care. That’s so important and often forgotten!

8. debolton says:

it’s really hard to balance “All the things” and try to achieve your goal. You are so close you can totally do it! Hoping that despite the expected obstacles you rock September and surprise yourself. Wishing you success this month!

9. No specific goals for me this month (that seems to be a new trend for me LOL). It’s also my last full month of marathon training, so I expect my mileage will be fairly high. I never set a quantitative number for myself, though, because I’d only focus on the “number” and not the quality (my bad). Good luck in September 😉

10. Farrah says:

Great job on your mileage! Working out 6 days per week is one of my goals too but I definitely haven’t been doing that lately. :[ Hopefully soon! Best of luck with this month!

Great job with the healthy eating and staying active while traveling in August! That’s always hard to do. Sounds like September is going to be another busy month for you, that’s a great idea to add self-care as one of the goals.

12. Organic Runner Mom says:

I love your goals checklist. I need to start doing that. Way to go on your mileage goal!

13. runswithpugs says:

Get it, girl!

My monthly goals have included logging 80 miles per month, but it’s getting easier and easier to top that number. I’m also working hard at the cross training. I’ve done two days in the gym, and while I don’t love sharing the space with other people, it’s good to be able to lift a little.

14. Girl, you rocked your miles! I have no doubt you will crush your Sept miles!
    The end of summer and the beginning of the school year seem to be way over exhausting! I love that you adjusted your workout days to fit your schedule, and you are so right, there is nothing wrong with that at all!
    What are some ways you want to include in self care? I 100% that goal! It is so important!
    Cheers to a fantastic month!

15. Cari says:

Sometimes I think the A- are the most educating. Like you learned about coming in at 5x or passing on that one for sanity, it teaches more about limits than acing things. Way to go!