Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 13

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

After a physically challenging week during week 12, week 13 of my Chicago training proved to be a very mentally challenging one, at least in the later part of the week.  Between the heat and an incredibly busy first week with students at school, my mental strength was put to the test last week.  At times I overcame the challenge, and at others I opted for extra rest.

Monday, August 27th

Most of last week included temperatures in the 90s and a heat index in the 100s.  The DC area was under an excessive heat warning multiple days last week, and Monday was no exception to that.  After work I had an appointment with the chiropractor, and had hoped that the closer that it got to sunset the more bearable the conditions outside would become.  That didn’t happen, and because I had planned to run with little man I couldn’t make a last minute escape to the gym.  Monday wound up being an unplanned rest day.

Tuesday, August 28th

In celebration of the first day of school with students I headed to the gym immediately after school for my first run of the week (we were under an Excessive Heat Warning for the second day in a row).  It was also once again hot and stuffy inside of the gym.  I had to run slower than I would have liked to but I pushed through and ran 4.50 miles.  Afterwards I completed a one mile cool down walk.

Another hot and humid day resulted in another afternoon run on the treadmill.

Wednesday, August 29th

Once again after school I headed straight to the gym.  Once there I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by 40 minutes of full body weight training.

Thursday, August 30th

Because of Back to School Night Thursday was an incredibly long and busy day at school.  After a full day of school I quickly ran home to pick up little man from daycare and get him situated at home with his godmother before returning to school.  Even if I had wanted to work out there simply was not time.

Friday, August 31st

After an exhausting Thursday I just didn’t have it in me to workout on Friday.  I ran some errands on my way home from school and then relaxed at home with my boys after a long week.  Even though I was less than four miles from reaching my monthly mileage goal I just didn’t have it in me to head out for one last workout for the month.

Saturday, September 1st

There was a chance of thunderstorms all day long on Saturday and I didn’t want to risk getting stuck in a thunderstorm during my long run.  Despite the high mileage on my training plan for the day, I quickly modified my long run mileage for the next couple of weeks and headed to the gym for my long run.  I spent ten miles running on the treadmill while watching John McCain’s funeral.  Despite the distraction and feeling both physically and mentally strong for the majority of my run (I only started to become bored during the last two miles), I was so glad once I reached the ten mile mark.  Long runs on the treadmill are hard!  After my run I walked another mile to cool down.

Despite the mileage that was originally on my training plan, I’m more than happy with a 10 mile long run, especially one that was completed on the treadmill.

Sunday, September 2nd

Despite my intentions to head to the gym for a workout, I instead opted to spend extra time with my boys.  I also took a nap during little man’s nap.  I don’t regret my decision one bit.

Total Weekly Mileage – 18.50 miles (14.56 miles less than week 12)

Total Chicago Mileage – 350.46 miles

QOTD: How do you stay motivated during those very busy weeks?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 13

1. Wendy says:

10 miles on the treadmill is brutal! That’s pretty much my limit. This weather has made outdoor running really tough. Hang in there–you’re doing great.

2. kookyrunner says:

Congrats on getting in 10 miles on the treadmill! That’s a mental challenge for sure!

3. Cari says:

Sometimes I find hot & stuffy at the gym to be worse than outside, because you expect some climate control. I’m hoping to run to the gym today but even if I can’t, I know it’s the one with better AC. I’m so glad I bought my tablet on Prime Day as it’s the only way I can get through longer runs at the gym. Well done on pushing through such a busy week – naps are the best

Great job on the 10 miles. My longest on the treadmill was 11, and I don’t want to repeat it ever! I got 5 miles done outside Saturday, and I got up early and was out the door early to stay ahead of the sunshine as much as I could. The sun has power here and I’ve melted on a couple runs before.

5. runswithpugs says:

Great job! Sometimes, I just put my head down and plow through until I can breathe again. It’s perhaps not the best plan, but it’s what gets me through.

You have your BTS night quickly! We wait two weeks before ours, just to give everyone a littel chance to settle in. I hope you have a great school year!

6. Treadmill miles are a special kind of brutal challenge. I think 5 miles is my distance PR on the ‘mill, and that’s probably gonna stand for quite awhile. Good job gritting out those 10 miles!

7. I was in DC most of last week and it was absolutely brutal! I intended to get out for a couple of runs but it just didn’t happen. I have been insanely busy these past few weeks between work and business travel. It’s not that I’m not motivated; it’s just that I am too darned busy to train!!!

8. HoHo Runs says:

The long run on the treadmill is impressive, my friend. This summer doesn’t seem to want to give up. Great job on pushing through this week. I know it must have felt extra tough with school beginning too. I don’t know how you do it all! Thanks for linking.

9. The heat has been absolutely brutal here too! I keep reminding myself, hot, slow summer miles = cool speedy fall miles!

It sounds like a tough week! The heat last week was definitely hard to deal with. It looks like we’ve got more of the same this week.

11. That’s so frustrating about your gym being hot and stuffy, especially with the facility being brand new! Maybe they’re still working out the kinks in the HVAC system? The air conditioning in my gym can be VERY hit or miss on the weekends, and it always makes me so mad – there’s a reason why I’m working out inside, you know! Congrats on getting in what you could this past week. I think focusing on the things you DO get done rather than the things you DON’T get done can make a huge difference when it comes to marathon training. Every mile counts!

12. I was pretty much in the same boat with you last week. I was either exhausted from the heat wave or from preparing for school!

13. Pingback: September 2018 Goals | From Dancing to Running