Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 12

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Last week was physically challenging.  After pushing myself at last Sunday’s Leesburg 20k (recap still to come!), my legs were very sore for several days.  Coupled with long days at school as I prepared for my students, my weekday runs were anything but stellar.  I’ll be honest, it had me worried for how my long run for the week would go, but thankfully my long run was the strongest of my three runs last weeks.

Monday, August 20th

To help stretch my legs out the day after the Leesburg 20k I did a walking commute to daycare to pick up little man that afternoon.  Its about 2.5 miles round trip from our house to daycare but I extended the route to 3.35 miles.  We both enjoyed the much needed time together after his first day back at daycare.

Tuesday, August 21st

Afternoon thunderstorms resulted in me heading to the gym after work to complete my run on the treadmill.  My run wound up being both mentally and physically challenging.  Not only were my legs heavy but it was also on the hot side inside the gym.  After pushing myself to run for 45 minutes I walked 0.75 miles and then did 30 minutes of weight training.

Running on the treadmill is never any fun, especially when your legs are tired and the gym is hot.

Wednesday, August 22nd

Between a long day at work and a doctor’s appointment late in the afternoon, I was too physically and mentally exhausted to work out by the time that I made it home.

Thursday, August 23rd

Thursday’s run was another hard one.  I was exhausted from the busy teacher back to work week, and my legs felt like they each had a heavy brick attached to them.  I took several extra walk breaks during my run, and despite the number of times that I wanted to give up and just walk back home I didn’t.  5.75 miles later I was very happy that I had pushed through and hadn’t given up.

I was so happy to be done with that run

Friday, August 24th

Between being at school for 13 hours (a full day of work followed by the fall kick off event and first home football game of the season) plus having my long run the next day I was more than happy to have a planned rest day.

Saturday, August 25th

After two challenging runs earlier in the week I am so thankful that my 18 miler wasn’t mentally challenging.  It was a beautiful 61 degrees when I headed out for my run, though it quickly warmed up and was 81 degrees by the end of my run.  I did an out and back route, which included lots of hills and some areas with very little shade.  Despite the hills I managed to maintain a sub 11 minute pace during the first six miles of my run.  My pace slowed down dramatically during the last eight miles, and I wound up having to walk nearly every hill during the last three miles.  Nonetheless, I was quite pleased with how Saturday’s run went and my run earned a big thumbs up.  Afterwards I completed a 0.77 mile cool down walk.

After both of my weekday runs being quite the challenge I was quite pleased with how much more smoothly my long run for the week went.

Sunday, August 26th

Not only was I sore from my run but we also made a day trip to Pennsylvania for a big family BBQ.  We were gone for just under 12 hours and I was completely exhausted by the time we arrived back home.

Total Weekly Mileage – 33.06 miles (4.25 miles more than week 11)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 331.96 miles

QOTD: How do you push yourself through the mentally and/or physically challenging training runs?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 12

1. Liz Dexter says:

Great work in difficult conditions. I’ve succeeded in pushing through even when I’m a bit disappointed with how I’m doing by telling myself that it’s endurance and resilience training and every hard run makes the OK ones feel easier. And stopping if I really do feel unwell etc. I think you’re doing amazingly!

2. Wendy says:

You looked so happy in your 18 mile picture that I knew it went well. That’s what you need going into your final high mileage weeks. So happy things are going well with your training!

3. kookyrunner says:

It’s so exciting when everything just falls into place for a long run – great job!

4. runeatralph says:

Getting through those “brick leg” runs are what will make you better on race day. Nice job! 🙂

Great job! It’s always difficult to get back to a routine when you go back to work.

Glad to hear the 18 miler went well! I always get nervous about long runs after I have runs during the week that don’t go well. It sounds like you rebounded really well.

7. Darlene says:

Great job on the 18 miler.

I had a crappy run yesterday. There was A LOT of walking. Hopefully I can turns things around.

8. When I start to struggle with the mental game I do a couple of things. I turn music on, I start talking positively to myself, and I try my best to zone out until I get home. Sometimes I make tiny goals like “Just make it to that stop sign and you can take a break” and then I make another goal. Usually, I try to remember that when I’m having those hard runs, It’s those runs that help us through the mental game on race day.

9. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You’ve been so busy but doing a great job juggling work and marathon training. I’m glad that your 18 miler went well! I can tell you just from doing my PT sessions during the week that it’s been so exhausting…I think remembering the big picture can really help put things in perspective when the stress gets high!

10. Virjinia says:

Good job on your long run! I can’t imagine being able to keep up with all that along with teacher duties! I knocked out my 20 mile run in hot weather this weekend too but glad it’s over now. Super excited for Chicago and I can’t wait to hear how it goes for you too! 🙂

11. Well, that 18-miler had to have given you an awesome confidence boost 😉 Good job!

12. Cari says:

Flip flops, the essential ingredient to happiness.
    I’m with you on the walking to heal the legs, so helpful

13. HoHo Runs says:

I can only imagine how challenging the first week back to school is for a teacher! Great job pushing through the week and nailing that weekend 18 miler! I usually break up the super long runs. For example, I may keep my HR below a certain level for the first 6 miles. Then I might play favorite tunes for 6 miles, etc. Anything to break it into smaller chunks. Thanks for linking!

14. You really had a busy week! Great that your 18 miler went well – that must have been a big confidence boost!

15. Can’t wait to hear about Leesburg. Great job on your 18 miler. Your training is going really well!

16. AJ says:

I’m glad your long run was better than the other two runs of the week? Do you go out with pace goals for your runs or just to complete them?

17. Best of luck to you! I hope to return one day to do this race again.

18. runswithpugs says:

18 miles! Get it, girl!

I wish I could say that I had something really motivating to get through some of those harder runs, but the reality is that some just flat out suck. The good news is the realization that those bad runs aren’t regular, they come to an end, and the next one or two are going to be a cakewalk compared to the awful one. That’s how I manage to get through them.

You’re doing awesome, especially with the back to school week!

19. chrissytherd says:

Great job! For some reason I always find my long runs mentally easier than my short runs (at least once I get started) – I think it’s that I know it’ll be long, so I don’t set any time goals and just enjoy myself. Whereas on the short runs, I feel like I’m pushing to go faster. Anyway, I don’t have a solution to dealing with those mentally challenging ones, but I’m sure most of us deal with them from time to time! 🙂

20. You are doing such a fantastic job with your marathon training! Me? Not so much. I’m getting nervous about Berlin. It’s less than 3 weeks away! You will have an amazing race in Chicago!

21. Pingback: Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 13 | From Dancing to Running