Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 11

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Last week was a bit of a roller coaster.  Getting back into a routine here at home after being away for a couple of weeks, as well as getting ready to head back to work, made for a very busy week.  There were a couple of days when I felt very rundown, which resulted in a couple of extra rest days, but I’m thankful that the week ended on a high at yesterday’s Leesburg 20k.

Monday, August 13th

I kicked off the week, and my first weekday back at home, with both a dentist appointment and a visit to see the chiropractor.  It had been three weeks since my last adjustment, and my body is used to going at least once a week.  Let’s just say that after sleeping in multiple beds that aren’t my own, as well as six flights, that my body was in desperate need of that adjustment.  I was very sore from Monday’s adjustment and decided that an evening of resting on the couch was more important than trying to get a work out in.

Tuesday, August 14th

Little man and I completed our first stroller run in almost a month.  He was so excited that morning when I asked him if he wanted to go for a run with me.  I took full advantage of both his excitement and the fact that it was a cooler morning with lower humidity and ran six miles.  Afterwards I walked another 1.79 miles.  Running with the stroller was slow going, but the fact that little man was so excited to go for a run with me made the challenge of running with the stroller completely worth it.

Little man was just as excited about going for a run as I was.

Wednesday, August 15th

Early evening I headed to the gym.  While I was away my gym moved to a new location.  Although it is slightly further from home it is also now slightly closer to work, so when I head to the gym straight from school the commute time won’t be any different than it has been in the past.  The new location has all brand new equipment, which I thoroughly enjoyed being able to use during my 35 minutes on the elliptical and 40 minute of full body weight training.

To say that I was sweaty after that workout is an understatement!

Thursday, August 16th

Because little man and I had our last story time of summer break to attend Thursday morning I wasn’t able to get out for my run until later in the day.  It had been an incredibly hot day, with the heat index well into the 100s, so I waited until as close to sunset as possible to head out for my run.  It felt like 96 degrees when I left the house, and because of the heat I told myself that any distance at any pace would be an accomplishment.  I finished 5.25 miles just as the sun was finishing setting.

Thursday’s run may have been a challenging one, but I did get to enjoy a beautiful sunset during it.

Friday, August 17th

Friday was my first day back at work (yes, the new school year for teachers really started on a Friday this year in my school district).  After a busy day of working on setting my classroom up I came home feeling rundown and had a slight migraine.  Working out was far from my priority that evening.

Saturday, August 18th

Saturday was one of those lazy, dreary days.  Late in the afternoon I did muster up the motivation to complete a 25 minute strength training workout at home.  Given that I had my long run the next morning I didn’t push myself too hard but it felt good to sweat a bit.

Sunday, August 19th

Yesterday was the Leesburg 20k.  When I signed up for this race I did so knowing that it would be a great way to mix up marathon training.  Although I was doubtful about the weather while setting my goals for the race, it wound up being a gorgeous summer morning with the temperature in the high 60s and low 70s during the race.  The humidity was also only 80%.  I wound up being able to push myself a bit during the race, and finished the 12.4 miles (well, according to my Garmin I ran 12.58 miles) in 2:20:02.  I crushed all three of my goals, and PRed!  It was a great way to end the week!

All smiles after a great race!

Total Weekly Mileage – 28.81 miles (4.08 miles less than week 10)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 298.90 miles

QOTD: Do you enjoy using races as a long run while training for another race?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 11

1. Liz Dexter says:

Well done on the race, and what a super medal, too! Good idea to just rest if you feel fatigued: taken within reason, of course, I always think an extra rest is better than a run you push yourself to do.

2. kookyrunner says:

Great job getting back into a routine and crushing your workouts! Always nice to end the week on a high with a great race – congrats on your PR!

3. Wow look at you getting a PR inAugust! Nice job

4. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congratulations on your PR – I love that medal! Getting back in the groove after traveling is tough, but you’re always so consistent! Great job.

I really enjoyed using races as part of my long runs when training for the NJ Marathon – it definitely helps keep me motivated!

Congrats on the great race yesterday! I loved the weather Sunday morning too, it made for a really pleasant run compared to other weekends we’ve had recently.

6. Wendy says:

Congrats on your race and the PR! It seems that your training is really going well this summer.

I’ll never understand why school districts start back on a Friday. They do that here too. Weird.

7. I do like the Leesburg 20k – congrats on your PR!

8. AJ says:

That is awesome! Congratulations!

9. Way to go!! I love that little man likes to run with you. Good luck with back to school!

10. Oooh, all new equipment at the gym! That sounds so nice! And congrats on your PR – that’s wonderful 🙂

11. runswithpugs says:

You had a great 20K! Congratulations!

Hope back to school goes smoothly for you. We just started Week 2 and are still getting into the rhythm of things.

I love using races as training runs. I mean, if you’re doing the mileage anyway, you might as well get the people around you, the shirt and the bling. Right?

Great job on the race! I definitely understand about needing the chiropractor. This week is 3 weeks since my last visit, and I’m feeling it. My hips are OK, and my spine needs cracking all the way down.

13. Coco says:

Congrats on Leesburg! I was about to sign up but realized I had committed to being a reader at church. I’m always impressed by your stroller miles — it’s so much harder!

14. Great job on that 20K! I have a couple of half marathons coming up (Sept. 2 and Sept. 16), both of which are part of “scaled-back” weekends for my marathon training.

15. debolton says:

Good job Girl!! Not medal!! Not a bad way to end your week!

16. Organic Runner Mom says:

Awesome job on the 20K! That is a super fun distance to run and so great for your training. Great bling too!

17. HoHo Runs says:

Great job getting back into a routine and starting work on a Friday! Ugh. Congrats on your 20k PR! I recently used a half marathon that had some steep downhill miles to train for a downhill marathon. It gave me a shiny surprise PR. I think if you go in with the mindset of training, it takes the pressure off. I hope you have a wonderful school year. Thanks for linking!

18. Way to crush your training this week!
    I so hear ya on sleeping in different beds and needing a chiro weekly!
    Sometimes races along the way help me stay focused on my training for the long term race!
    I LOVE the pic of you and your little one!
    Have a great week!

19. AWESOME job on your race Kathryn!!!! SO AMAZING!!! you must have been feeling on top of the world when you realised you crushed your goals!!!

I use races a LOT for training but in the summer there are less races unfortunately. In the spring there are plenty of 30K’s to choose from before spring marathons. Now it’s too hot, people/ entire organisations are on vacation, etc. makes it very challenging!! I have to run 30K in two weeks and I have NO IDEA how or where I’m going to do that…

I LOVE that little man wanted to go for a stroller run!! I get that that made it worth it!

I bet feeling run down, tired and headachy had a lot to do with first day back at work. even if you are used to it, it’s kind of overwhelming to get everything set up, no?

Great job on the race and YAY for all new gym equipment!! Hope school is going well! 🙂