Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 10

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Another week of being away from home called for another week of flexibility when it came to my training.  You can plan everything to a T, but then factors like the weather that are completely out of your control require you to adapt and modify as necessary.  Two days of travel also impacted my training schedule for the week, but I’m still pleased with the workouts that I was able to complete.

Monday, August 6th

I kicked off the week with another scenic run in Miami.  I started off my 4.25 mile run by running through some of the neighborhood streets in Coconut Grove, which is where our hotel was, and then finished my run on the waterfront at Dinner Key Marina.  Once again the Miami heat and humidity challenged me, but I refused to let it stop me from completing my run.  After my run I completed a 0.75 mile cool down walk, and then later that afternoon did 30 minutes of water aerobics at the hotel pool.

Its hard to be disappointed about a slow run when you get to enjoy gorgeous views while running.

Tuesday, August 7th

For my last workout in Miami I headed to the gym where I spent 45 minutes on the elliptical and followed that up with 25 minutes of weight training.

Wednesday, August 8th

I spent the majority of the day flying from Miami back to central Illinois.  It was a bittersweet day of travel for me because although I left my husband behind in Miami to complete his temporary work assignment I was reunited with my little man later that afternoon.  That evening we went to see the local minor league baseball team play. Although this left me with no time to work out spending time with little man was a much higher priority.

Thursday, August 9th

Midday I took little man for a walk around the neighborhood, and then after my mom got home from work I headed to the gym to complete my run on the treadmill.  After a couple of very hot and humid runs in Miami, I was in desire of a break from running in the brutal summer weather, but unfortunately I didn’t find much reprieve at the gym.  It felt hotter and stuffier than usual at the gym.  As the woman on the treadmill next to me said as we both finished up, “That was a tough run.”  Despite it being a difficult day for a run I still completed all five of my planned miles, and did so with negative splits.

It might have been a tough run but I’m still smiling because I finished.

Friday, August 10th

My original plan for the week was to complete my long run on Sunday.  However, after keeping a close eye on the weather forecast at home, and seeing that there was an 80% chance of thunderstorms all day long, I didn’t want to risk having to run 16 miles on the treadmill.  So even though I had just run 24 hours earlier, I decided that completing my long run Friday evening was my best decision.  Due to running on tired legs, as well as the high heat and humidity, it wound up being one of my most challenging runs ever.  After a busy day with little man I headed out in a feels like temperature of 93 degrees.  I quickly drank all of the water in my hydration vest.  Thankfully I had a couple of dollars on me so just past the 9 mile mark I stopped a gas station to buy a bottle of water.  During that brief stop my legs locked up though and I struggled from the moment that I left the gas station.  At times during the last 7 miles my run felt more like a shuffle, and I had to take extra walk breaks, but I refused to give up and still finished all 16 miles.

My last run on the trail in my hometown was quite the challenging one. I’m hopeful that pushing through on hot and humid days will make me stronger come race day.

Saturday, August 11th

Little man and I spent the day traveling home from Illinois.  There simply wasn’t time, or energy, to workout.

Sunday, August 12th

Given that my legs were still incredibly tired and sore from my tough 16 miler, I decided that another rest day was the smarter choice than trying to push through and still get a workout in.  I didn’t feel guilty about my choice whatsoever.

Total Weekly Mileage – 32.89 miles (3.44 miles more than week 9)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 270.09 miles

QOTD: Do you take extra rest days after challenging long runs?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 10

1. with our summer weather and your travel and a toddler, you just have to be flexible right?

2. kookyrunner says:

Awesome week of training! I am so impressed that you were able to do your long run on Friday. That’s what you call “making it happen”!

3. Wendy says:

That’s really impressive that you did your 16 miler in that heat! That should give you the mental toughness you need in those late miles of the marathon!

4. Nice work getting through those hot, humid miles, especially the 16 miler! I keep telling myself that the training in the heat and humidity will just make the marathon fast and easy once it starts feeling like fall.

5. AJ says:

Wow you really persevered on that 16 Miles:). I’m sure that mental strength will pay off on race day for you!

Great job getting those 16 miles done! It sounds like really tough conditions. I generally like to schedule my rest day the day after my long run, it seems to help 🙂

7. runswithpugs says:

So awesome! Coconut Grove was one of my favorite places when I lived in the 305. University of Miami was right down the street, and we got married at Grove Isle right across the bay.

Flexibility is the name of the game, and you totally got it done!

8. I always take at least one rest day (Sunday), cross train at least once and then listen to my body if it tells me to take an extra rest day!

9. Good job an staying on-point with your training plan, especially the 16-miler! I bet all that air travel didn’t help your legs feel any better either.

10. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job on your training this past week! Heat and humidity are always so tough on me, I feel the struggle! You did great though – and it was wise to move your schedule around so that you’d have a more comfortable run. The extra rest day was well deserved!

11. Those long runs on fatigued legs can be miserable but they will sure pay off on race day! Now the heat and humidity… stay hydrated and keep in running smart like you are. I feel like the heat and humidity really do a number on me. If I’m feeling extra worn out after a tough run, I will take an extra rest day on occasion or cut down the mileage!

12. Darlene says:

It’s s so hard to train when you are away from home. You’re doing great.

13. debolton says:

I take rest whenever I feel my body needs it ultimately that’s my deciding factor. From Miami to Illinois what a change in scenery. Hope you have another great week!

14. Coco says:

I haven’t done a super long run in ages, but I definitely think when you feel like you need the extra rest you should take it.

15. Farrah says:

Great job getting that running in even in the heat and humidity!!

16. what a bummer you had to leave your husband in Miami! I’m glad you were reunited with your son though – I’m sure it was nice to have some alone time with just you or you and your hubs, but it’s always good to be back with your child again, right?

So you and I both had a tough run this past weekend! I struggled really hard with my 25K (roughly 16 miles and change), I also drank all my water around the almost 9 mile mark, filled up my vest at a park that had a tap and then hobbled the rest of the way home. Points to us for getting it done despite the difficulty!!

Generally I take only 1 day after my long run. That would have been yesterday for me. Instead I gave in to my friend Vincent who really, really wanted to go to RPM… so I didn’t have any rest day at all!!

17. swosei12blog says:

After a challenging run, my “rest” involves a nice long walk to increase blood flow to the legs and stretching.

18. I think it’s a great practice to listen to your body and take that extra day off when you need it. I tend to get so wrapped up in trying to follow my training routine that I usually won’t let myself skip a second day even if I feel like I need it. I’m trying to move away from this practice to a more intuitive training plan.

Your running accomplishments while traveling are amazing! Great job this week!

20. Liz Dexter says:

Well done on your 16-miler! I try to reframe really tough runs like that as resilience training – I had some in my last mara campaign where I was on my feet all day officiating at a cross-country event one day and ran 13 miles the next day, less than planned but running tired. And I had a good campaign. I do tend to pamper myself more after a tough run but also try to keep moving as it does help even though I don’t want to believe that. Hope this week is going well!

21. HoHo Runs says:

Wow! What amazing views for your Miami run. I might not mind our heat/humidity so much if I had those views. Great job pushing through that long run. It’s nice you were able to stop and get more water. Thanks for linking!