Chicago Marathon Training Log – Weeks 8 and 9

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Its never easy to keep up with a regular training schedule when you’re traveling.  It takes a lot of planning, focus, and dedication in order to make sure that you can still get all of your workouts in when you’re away from home.  I’ve been away and out of my regular routine for a couple of weeks now has, which made my marathon training a bit more challenging than usual, but I’ve also been more eager than ever to get my workouts in.

Week 8:

Monday, July 23rd

I was very eager to get my run in first thing, mainly driven by the fact that little man and I had a busy midday and evening schedule.  I knew that getting my run in later in the day would be incredibly challenging, if not near impossible.  It had been storming for a couple of days in a row at this point, but after closely tracking the weather forecast I thought that I had just a long enough break in the rain to get my run in.  Boy was I proven wrong!  It was drizzling when I left the house just after 6:30 a.m. and was pouring less than two miles into my run.  Around 2.5 miles I knew that it was time to call it quits, and thankfully my husband came to rescue me.  I don’t think I’ve ever gotten so drenched so quickly!

That was one run that I don’t think will ever be forgotten!

Tuesday, July 24th

Since it was my last day at home before the big trip, I had quite the lengthy to do list, but I was also eager to get to my home gym for one last good workout.  After 35 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weight training, the fact that I was drenched in sweat was a sign that I’d gotten that good workout in.

Wednesday, July 25th

Between flying to Illinois with little man and celebrating my dad’s birthday that evening it was a long, tiring day.  I didn’t have it in me to workout after such an early start to the day.

Little man was very excited about singing “Happy Birthday” to his Papa

Thursday, July 26th

Despite the fact that it was incredibly hot and humid for my first run in Illinois I was very excited about being able to run on the trail in my hometown.  I always love being able to run on the trail there!  After my run I walked another 1.19 miles.

It might have been an incredibly hot and humid run but regardless I always love being able to run on the Constitution Trail.

Friday, July 27th

Because of plans that we had on Saturday to take little man to a local farm I opted to move my long run for the week to Friday morning.  Despite the near perfect running weather, my body was tired and my pace quickly slowed as the miles increased.  I rarely run two days in a row, so I’m not surprised or disappointed by that.  I’m just glad that I was able to move my long run and still spend time with the family the next morning.

It was a gorgeous morning for a long summer run. It felt like 66 degrees at the beginning of my run and only 72 degrees 14 miles later.

Saturday, July 28th

After a busy morning at a local farm and little man’s nap, he was eager to spend even more time outside so my sister and I took him for a long walk, which included a stop at a neighborhood playground.  All three of us enjoyed our time outside together.

Sunday, July 29th

To close out the week I utilized my Gold’s Gym travel pass and headed to the gym in my hometown.  I left the gym with sore muscles after spending 35 minutes on the elliptical and doing a 45 minute long full body weight training workout.

Total Weekly Mileage – 32.65 miles (13.06 miles more than week 7)

Week 2:

Monday, July 30th

Monday was another long travel day for me.  I had an early morning flight out of the regional airport five minutes down the street from my parents’ house, a connection at O’Hare, and then flew to Miami where I met my husband.  He is on a temporary assignment for work in Miami, but took a couple of days off early in the week so that we could celebrate our wedding anniversary together.  We were very happy to be reunited on our 7th wedding anniversary, which we celebrated by driving down to Key Largo.  We had a low key celebration during our two nights there, but it was what we needed after such a busy couple of summer weeks.  By the end of the day I was far too exhausted from traveling to get a workout in.

On our hotel balcony in Key Largo

Tuesday, July 31st

I closed out the month with a five mile progression run on the treadmill.  The hotel gym was quite hot and steamy, partly driven by how hot and humid it was outside that morning, but despite the conditions I pushed through and got it done.  Afterwards I walked an additional mile, and later that afternoon did 15 minutes of water aerobics.

With this run I met my July mileage goal of 115 miles!

Wednesday, August 1st

Wednesday morning we drove back to Miami and had lunch with friends who were on their way to the Caribbean and had a very long layover in Miami.  After picking them up from the airport we had lunch at an adorable Cuban restaurant in Little Havana, after which we walked around the neighborhood.  According to Apple Health I walked over three miles that afternoon.

Thursday, August 2nd

Between my run and walking from the hotel to both Starbucks for breakfast and Subway for lunch I got quite a few miles in on Thursday.  I ran 5.50 miles on the hotel treadmill and did 40 minutes of full body weight training.  Altogether I logged over nine and a half miles for the day.

I’m not letting the Miami heat and humidity stop me from getting my miles in.

Friday, August 3rd

I kicked off my Friday at the gym where I spent 45 minutes on the elliptical and did 25 minutes of weight training.  I was feeling quite strong and sweaty at the end of my workout.

Strong is beautiful (and sweaty).

Saturday August 4th

I knew that this would be a challenging run because of the Miami heat and humidity but after having already completed two runs on the treadmill for the week I didn’t want to also complete my long run on it.  So instead, I headed out and braved the elements.  I had 8 miles on plan for the day, but wound up pushing myself to run 9 instead.  It wasn’t easy, and maybe I was delirious from the beautiful scenery, but I felt quite accomplished by the end of my run.  Afterwards I walked another half mile.

The beautiful scenery along Biscayne Bay

During a very brief stop on the Rickenbacker Causeway

It was a very slow and steady run but I got the job done.

Sunday, August 5th

My legs were quite sore from Saturday’s long run.  I more than earned my rest day.

Total Weekly Mileage – 29.45 miles (3.20 miles less than week 8)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 237.20 miles

QOTD: How do you stay motivated to keep up with your training while traveling?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Weeks 8 and 9

1. I think you have done a fantastic job keeping up with your training while traveling, balancing our humid weather and your son’s schedule.

2. Wendy says:

You did great staying on track in spite of all your traveling and the heat!

3. Wow, you’ve really kept yourself on track while being able to enjoy your vacation! I’m glad you were able to do a long run outside instead of on the treadmill. I’m sure the scenery was worth suffering through the humidity!

4. kookyrunner says:

Wow what a busy two weeks you’ve had! I admire your dedication to getting in your workouts while away from home. You’re right, it takes so much planning and you did a really great job!

5. Darlene says:

Wow! Hotel treadmill miles. I hate them but I may have to this week with rain in the forecast.. I don’t do many if I have. it’s such a struggle.

Love the Florida scenery. it’s so humid here but none of those perks.

6. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job with your training these past few weeks! It’s always a challenging juggling fitness while traveling. I’m not able to run, but at the place we stayed in the Bahamas, there was an elliptical machine – I didn’t use it, but it was nice to have the option. The heat and humidity should definitely help you for the fall!

7. HoHo Runs says:

It’s very impressive how you got all those miles run while traveling! A low-key trip to Key Largo sounds like the perfect way to celebrate an anniversary. As hot as it is here, I can’t even imagine what that Miami run felt like. WAY TO GO! Thanks for linking!

I find it’s always fun to get out of the hotel and explore the surroundings, if I can. Sometimes it’s not possible. I know what you mean about not wanting to do your long run on the treadmill.

9. Cari says:

Running along the water always seems to make it go better for me. Congrats on sticking to your training! Something about hometown runs, I love those too

You got in some great workouts, especially with all that travel! Those are some beautiful photos from your Saturday run by the beach.

11. Organic Runner Mom says:

It is so hard to get in runs outside when the weather is so unpredictable. It must have absolutely been pouring! We have been having a lot of heat and humidity in New Hampshire too. Good job getting your running in in that weather!

12. It’s definitely hard to keep up with training while traveling. My insane travel schedule starts next week and I’m really worried about falling off of the workout train.

13. Great job! I’m jealous of your getting to run in two “vacation” states 😉

14. runcanvas says:

You did great job staying on track. I took a mini weekend at the lake and just end up so tired. I get the miles in, because I remember the my big goals. It’s usually not quite as quick and effortless when I am traveling though.

15. Great work on getting those runs in while you were out of town! That is NOT a small accomplishment at all. And in Miami, no less! I don’t think you could pay me to run outside in Miami during the summer (or possibly ever, given how much I don’t like running in the heat and humidity). High five to you! 🙂

Great job!! I love your treadmill progression runs! Even with the hot environment, you still got it done. Way to go!

17. Virjinia says:

Props for continuing to run while traveling! You were plenty busy but still managed to get a good quality miles! I wouldn’t want to go from nice weather to heat and humidity but you killed it. Good job!

18. You did great juggling your training with travel! Happy Anniversary 🙂

19. AJ says:

Hmmm you inspire me! I’m just leaving on my ten day boating trip today and am hoping to eat runs and workouts in while I’m away. I’ll have to change my workouts to abs and body weight moves, but hopefully it will still happen!

20. matmilesmedals says:

Way to stay active and stick to your training during a busy travel schedule!

21. Miami running. Oh, girl. That’s some courage right there. It’s just miserable in Miami!

I am so glad that you guys were able to have a little time to reconnect and enjoy each other. And I love that you got to do some running in your hometown and get in some family time.

I look forward to running while we travel. I love being somewhere new and seeing new things and getting the new experience. I’m an early riser anyway, so I can usually squeeze in miles before everyone else is ready to face the day.

22. Coco says:

Gosh, you did so great getting in all those workouts — and that long run in Miami. Happy Anniversary – I’m glad you got to spend it together! ❤

23. Nice job getting your miles in in south Florida! I spent a couple of weeks in Ft Lauderdale this training cycle, and the heat/humidity is really not comparable to most other places.

24. Liz Dexter says:

Happy anniversary and I love your photos. I rarely run two days in a row but do find it helps build resilience. Well done running on treadmills and outside in Florida – phew!

25. debolton says:

Traveling and training is a challenge. Good for you staying the course and getting it done. Great work these two weeks.

26. wow Kathyrn, what an amazing job you did on your training while you were away! seriously it just goes to show that if you really want something, you will make it happen!!

really nice that you and your hubby got to have a little celebration for your anniversary ❤

27. thefauxrunner says:

You’ve had a great week with all the traveling. My vacation was just all pigging out.

28. Way to get some solid workouts while traveling! I know that is not always easy!
    Love that you got to spend quality time with your hubby for your anniversary also!