Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 7

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Last week was one of those weeks that started off great and then slowly got worse as the week went on.  At least it was that way when it came to my fitness.  I know that everybody has those weeks every now and then but that doesn’t make it any less frustrating to deal with when it happens.

Monday, July 16th

I was able to escape for a solo run after my husband got home from work.  There had been a mid-afternoon thunderstorm which left me facing very high humidity during my run.  The humidity forced me to take a couple of extra walk breaks during my run, but I refused to let the humidity get the best of me and still completed my planned 45 minute run.  After running 4.20 miles I walked an additional three quarters of a mile.

Drenched in sweat from running on a very humid evening

Tuesday, July 17th

I spent Tuesday evening at the gym where I spent 35 minutes on the elliptical and another 35 minutes doing full body weight training.  I felt strong when I left the gym, and had I had more time I might have worked out even longer.

Wednesday, July 18th

Wednesday’s run was one of those runs when I felt like I could have kept running and running and running.  Little man and I completed six miles together, and after pushing the stroller for six miles I let him walk and push the stroller the rest of the way home.

Little man and I both got some exercise Wednesday morning. He loved when I gave him the opportunity to push his stroller home.

Thursday, July 19th

It was during Thursday evening’s gym workout when things started going downhill.  I felt fine during my 30 minutes on the elliptical, but during my 30 minutes of weight training I felt progressively weaker and weaker.  It was far from my greatest workout, as I felt weak, but I kept telling myself than any workout was better than nothing at all.

Friday, July 20th

Since I had planned to do my long run on Saturday, Friday was a planned rest day.

Saturday, July 21st

Unfortunately, things did not go as planned over the weekend.  I woke up Saturday morning with a sinus headache, which instead of getting better throughout the day only got worse.  By Saturday evening it had turned into a migraine.  I went to bed hoping that I would feel better the next day and that I’d be able to still complete my planned 8 mile long long run for the week.

Sunday, July 22nd

Unfortunately, my migraine was worse the next morning.  The idea of trying to push myself to run 8 miles made me sick to my stomach.  After taking a nap while little man took his afternoon nap I felt well enough to be able to head out for a family walk.  While I hate that I had to skip my long run for the week, deep down I know that it was the right decision.  Thankfully this past week was a cut back week and I didn’t mess up increasing my long run mileage.

Walking 3 miles was better than not getting any miles in at all.

Total Weekly Mileage – 19.59 miles (11.50 miles less than week 6)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 175.10 miles

QOTD:

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 7

1. Hi, I had to stop by since I realized we’re both training for Chicago! So sorry about your migraines – that is so frustrating, especially over more than one day. Looks like you were smart about dealing with it. And you had a great start to the week! I’m sure you will bounce back as soon as you’re feeling better.

2. Wendy says:

So sorry to hear about your headache. Sometimes I get them when the weather is changing dramatically. Maybe our bad weather was pushing your way? Anyways I hope you’re feeling better.

3. Darlene says:

I hate migraines. I used to get them a lot but not lately. Knock on wood.

Hope you are feeling better and get your run in next weekend.

4. Liz Dexter says:

Sorry about your migraine – would that be down to the weather? But glad it was in a lower mileage week, phew! I love your little man taking over controls of the buggy for a bit!

5. Ugh migraines are the worst! Hope you are feeling better today. Have a great week

The beginning of the week sounds like it was really strong! That’s is frustrating about the weekend but it really does sound like you made the right decision. The weather this past weekend didn’t help, I’m sure. I hope you’re feeling better this week!

7. AJ says:

Those weeks are always so difficult- here’s hoping this week goes better for you!

8. Migraines can be so debilitating. I get them about once a month and the idea of opening my eyes sometimes is too much.

You were a total trooper and got it done. I can’t even believe your little man is big enough to be pushing the stroller now! They grow up so fast.

Sounds like you had some good workouts. I get sinus headaches when the weather is changing here, and the pressure is awful. It’s one thing my acupuncturist is working on for me. I hope you feel better today.

10. Ugh. hope you’re feeling better today! AS much as you hate missing training runs, you did the right thing. You probably would have done more damage by attempting to run those 8 miles had you attempted to head out.

11. I’m really sorry your headache got in the way of your scheduled workouts towards the end of the week 😦 It’s so frustrating when our bodies get in the way of us living our lives! Fortunately, no one run or workout determines whether or not you’ll have a successful marathon, so I think you did the right thing by taking care of yourself. Hopefully this week will go a lot better for you!

12. kookyrunner says:

I’m sorry that you week didn’t end on the best note, but I still think that you did great with your training, despite the circumstances. I bet the heat and humidity is probably adding to your headache pain too 😦 Hopefully this week will be better – I’m crossing my fingers for you!

13. Migraines are just awful! I tried pushing through once to stay on my training schedule and only made things worse. You were smart to skip the run. Hope you’re feeling better!

14. Chrissy says:

Sorry about the migraine girl! I’m glad your kiddo still enjoys his stroller though. Once my son could walk, he wanted nothing to do with the jogging stroller and it totally threw off my running routine for a while! He’s 3 now and will let finally let me push him again but he’s so heavy now, lol!

15. agsignor says:

Ugh. I’m so sorry about your migraine. I hope this week is a lot smoother for you and that cute little kiddo cooperates for you!

16. Migraines just ruin everything! But you have plenty more workouts to get in your long runs so I am sure missing one of your longer runs will be fine. Health comes first!

17. oh Kathryn, what a bummer how the week turned out. I guess it’s the body’s way of saying you need a tiny break. I started out ok last week but went quickly downhill and my long run was again a disaster. OK maybe not a disaster but it wasn’t great. I sure hope the new week is already showing signs of betting better!

18. I think you still had a solid week; sorry it ended badly for you. I’ve never had migraines, thank goodness. I know they can be debilitating.

19. HoHo Runs says:

I’m sorry you developed a migraine! But, skipping an 8 mile run will not hurt your marathon training in the least. It’s always best to listen to your body. Little Man is growing so big! Does he still enjoy being in the stroller while you run? Thanks for linking!

20. So sorry your week ended on a crummy note.
    Glad you are feeling better and hope this week is much better!

I am so sorry about the migraine, but I am glad you’re feeling better! You still had a decent week of workouts despite having to miss your long run.