July 2018 Goals

Like I’ve shared a couple of times, May was a very challenging month for me.  One of the big reasons why it was as challenging as it was was due to the fact that I didn’t set any goals to help me stay focused.  I changed that for the month of June, and boy did it make a huge difference.

1.  Log at least 100 miles.

Grade: A

As of today my mileage total for the month is 92.1 miles, and I have a ten mile long run on tap for tomorrow.  It feels good to know that my hard work paid off this month and that I will reach my mileage goal.  My current 2018 mileage total is 514.5 miles, and after tomorrow’s long run I will still be about 75 miles shy of where I should be in order to be 100% on track for the year.  But I still have half a year to turn things around and get back on track.  I have no doubt that as the mileage increases with marathon training that I will be able to in fact get back on track with my yearly mileage goal of 1,200 miles.

All smiles after my longest run so far this month

2.  Lose at least 2 pounds.

Grade: C

Even though I ended the month almost two pounds heavier than I started the month at, I’m fairly certain that its mostly muscle weight that I have gained.  I cannot be disappointed about that whatsoever.

3.  Work out at least five days per week.

Grade: A

Not only did I work out at least five days per week every week this past month, but two weeks I exercised six days in a week.  Now that I am out of school for summer vacation, it is very easy to want to be outside and active with my little man.  We’ve been going for lots of extra walks, and sometimes that also results in spending time at the playground with him.

Little man and I both love any and all time that we get to spend outside together

4.  Weight train at least two days per week.

Grade: C

I was on track with this goal until mid-month when I had my nasty fall during a long run.  After the fall, my body was quite sore and I found it difficult to want to do any strength training.  I am starting to feel up to weight training again.

Overall, June was a successful month on the fitness front and I’m looking forward to July being just as if not more successful.

1.  Log at least 115 miles.

This is a 15 mile increase over my June goal.  With my long runs increasing in distance for my marathon training, this goal should be more than manageable.

2.  Work out at least six days per week.

With me spending extra time outside and taking extra walks with little man, I want to see if I can push myself to complete an extra work out each week.  This goal is going to be a stretch for me, especially since I will be out of town twice in July.  But we’ll see what I’m able to accomplish.

3.  Weight train at least two days per week.

Weight training needs to happen, especially as my marathon training continues to ramp up so that I can prevent injury.  I need to make weight training a higher priority than I did in June.

4.  Stay on track while away from home.

Like I already mentioned, I will be out of town twice in July.  We are headed to New Jersey to spend the long 4th of July weekend with my in-laws, and then little man and I will be flying to Illinois towards the end of the month for a visit with my family.  So while I am looking looking forward to our upcoming travels, being away from home will also make it more challenging to stay on track with my marathon training and health and fitness goals.

You will notice that for the first time all year losing weight is not on my list of monthly goals.  With the amount of travel coming up over the next two months, it will be difficult to accurately keep track of my weight.  As long as I stay active, keep up with my training, and make healthy food choices, then I cannot be disappointed with my weight when I return home mid-August.

QOTD: What are your goals for July?

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to July 2018 Goals

1. Farrah says:

Great job on your goals! I’m trying to work on working out consistently too–best of luck to you on the upcoming month’s goals!

2. kookyrunner says:

Great job on your goals for June! I like that weight loss is not part of your goals for July. I hope you have a great time during your trips in July.

3. Darlene says:

I am glad that I don’t set goals. I would have been depressed on my mileage and workouts.

Weight loss? Muscle weighs more so you probably gained muscle Lol from al your workouts and mileage.

4. Goals help me so much! I’m starting a new workout program in July and my goal is to stick with it, including the nutrition plan! And also add some running to build mileage as I have a half to start training for starting in August.

How is your body feeling now, with some time to recover from your fall?

6. Without focusing so much on losing weight, and (instead) making the workouts a priority, the weight may just come off on its own. As you said, all the workouts will add some muscle…so it may just be a shift in where the “weight” goes. Muscle is good!!

7. My goal for July is to figure out how to adapt to running in the heat!

8. Awesome job on your June goals!! I love the way you do your goal-setting. I don’t do goal-setting enough, or I get discouraged when I don’t meet my goals, so sometimes the tendency is to not make them so I can’t be disappointed, but I know that’s no way to actually accomplish anything! haha… if at once you don’t succeed, try, try again is my mantra at times. I am recovering from a major flare up of back pain, and after 2 months, am just starting to feel more myself so that I can actually sit and move a little bit better now… so my goals will seem pretty pathetic, but thanks for the encouragement to set them for July anyways! Little steps are still steps! 🙂 (a new SPA sister happy to follow your journey) – Kelly http://www.leafynotbeefy.com

9. Coco says:

It’s hard to ramp up miles in the summer but I guess that’s what you sign up for with a marathon! Enjoy your summer days with your little one!

10. I think you had a great month. I typically have some vague goals in mind, but don’t usually write them down. It’s definitely a good way to stay accountable!

11. Rachel says:

It sounds like you had a pretty good June. Despite the whole injury thing, you would have been right on track with weights!

12. You did great with your June goals! I think June was the first month in a long time that I didn’t set any goals – I’ll have to fix that in July!

13. Wendy says:

You are the most goal-oriented person I know! And I should know since I am one myself. Great job on June and I have no doubt you’ll crush July.

14. Great job on you goals! Mine are simple for Jult – be active and be outside!

15. Nicculent says:

I’m so motivated and inspired by your fitness goals, I feel like I need to up my fitness game after reading this!I love how you are so passionate about fitness.Keep blogging, and I’d love for you to check my blog out too!<33

16. Liz Dexter says:

Hey, you don’t get a C for your weight training when you were unable to do it because of your fall! You get an A for not pushing something that was hurting you, right??!!!

17. Pingback: August 2018 Goals | From Dancing to Running