Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 3

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

After falling during my long run last Saturday, my focus this past week was on getting back on track with my training.  Even today, nine days since my fall, I’m still dealing with some minor aches and pains.  My wounds on my knees and right shoulder are still quite tender, but are slowly healing up.  Even though I wasn’t able to work out the way that I would like to, especially when it came to strength training, I’m still quite proud of the fact that I remained focused and determined on moving forward this past week.

Monday, June 18th

Monday was my last day of school for the 2017-2018 school year.  It was a teacher workday, and I spent a good part of the day packing up my classroom for the summer.  Once I was finally done and had checked out with my principal I headed to the gym to kick off my summer vacation with a run on the treadmill.  I’ll be honest, I was a bit intimidated of the idea of running outside only two days after my fall.  But given that the feels like temperature outside was 105 degrees, I was actually happy to have a very valid excuse to need to complete my run on the treadmill.  After my run I walked an additional mile.

Tuesday, June 19th

After spending my first full day of summer break with my little man and my sister, I went to the gym for cross and weight training.  I spent 45 minutes on the elliptical and did 30 minutes of full body weight training.

Wednesday, June 20th

I kicked off the day by completing my training run.  It felt great to get my run out of the way first thing, which allowed me to focus on spending time with my little man the rest of the day.

We drove up to an orchard in Maryland, where we picked blueberries.  We had an absolute blast spending the day outside together.

Picking blueberries is very serious business

Thursday, June 21st

Because we spent the day in Annapolis, Thursday was a planned rest day.  My body was more than in need of it, especially after not having had a full rest day since the previous Friday.

Friday, June 22nd

Even though it was raining, my sister and I had promised little man that we’d walk to the bagel shop for a Friday morning breakfast treat, and we didn’t want to break our promise to him.  So instead of getting in the car and driving to the bagel shop, we bundled up in rain gear, put little man in the stroller, and still made the mile and a quarter walk.  The smile on little man’s face made the walk in the rain worth it.

Okay he might not be smiling in this picture, but trust me, he was quite excited about being outside and our outing to the bagel shop.

Saturday, June 23rd

I was worried all week about how my long run would go one week after falling.  It had rained all day Friday, which left the roads and sidewalks quite wet and slippery on Saturday morning.  The thought of running on the treadmill crossed my mind several times, but I eventually convinced myself to run outside, and I’m so glad that I did.  I felt quite strong throughout my run, and even though I had eight miles on my training plan wound up pushing myself to run nine miles.  After my run I walked another mile before heading home.

Sunday, June 24th

After logging ten miles on Saturday my body was more than in need of a rest day.

Total Weekly Mileage – 26.44 miles (4.71 miles more than week 2)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 68.52 miles

QOTD: How do you encourage yourself to get back up and at it after an injury and/or setback?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 3

1. Wow! Your school year sure ends late! Way to get back out there for a run–especially a long one, and especially with wet roads! It must be tough mentally after such a fall. Here’s to smooth sailing from here on out!

2. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You had a great week! It must have been a little scary getting back out there after your fall but you bravely made it out there and was even rewarded with a strong run – awesome! Your little guy is too cute, looks like he had a lot of fun.

3. Darlene says:

We virtually ran together on Sat. I ran 9 at around the same pace LOL.

I tried to run outside on Monday. Died after 2.5 miles. Should have stayed inside but HATE the mill.

4. Liz Dexter says:

I need to save this post – I just fell on my long run TODAY! My third fall and my least bad, and I do run a lot and have been running for years, but I’m scraped and sore and jangled-of-nerves so need to read how people get back (last fall, I cracked ribs so I was eager to get back before I actually physically could). And well done on getting out there as I know how hard it is.

I’m the type if I have a bad run, I get angry about it. I do mope at setbacks, but I’m planning on how to show the next run who’s boss.

6. Lourenza says:

Way to go for getting back in training after your fall. Just curious what does your full body weight training consist of?

7. Wendy says:

We have matching shoulders! LOL. Probably knees too. Those scars are a good reminder for me to be more mindful. I have gotten back on my bike and that is the best advice I can give–just get right back at it. I feel you on the fear of falling–I’ve had a few close calls on the run lately. Mud patches are really slippery!

Great week! I’m glad the running went ok this week after your fall last week.

9. Congrats on getting back out on the road! That long run must have felt quite victorious!

10. Great job on your running this week! That’s awesome you will be running for Chicago for charity. Best of luck with your training! It seems like it’s hot everywhere and not just down south!

11. MarielleBurch says:

Good job on getting in your runs!! I’ve heard such great things about the Chicago marathon, that’s so exciting! Also your little man is so cute all bundled up in the rain. haha!

12. Glad to see you are back at it! Will you move your runs to early morning in the summer time? Maybe you can come run with us one day w the stroller?

13. berry picking is something that always sounded fun to me but I’ve never done it! I need to find a good place around here for it.

14. Renée says:

hey you did GREAT Kathryn!! such a good running week! and your son is so adorable with his blueberries!

I encourage myself by just telling myself to just go and see how it goes. that I can always chuck it in and come home if I want to . Then when I’m running I actually tell myself there is no chucking it all in and try to focus on the positive. I’m practically always “injured” with my foot the way it is, so I can’t waste time feeling sorry for myself – I have to just push and go.

15. Farrah says:

Your school year ends super late, but yay for summer finally being here for you! I’ve been wanting to go berrypicking, but sadly, haven’t had a chance to yet!

16. fun m emories picking blueberries 🙂

17. Yay for summer break! You had a great week of workouts – glad your knees and shoulder are healing.

18. Looks like you made the most of your first week of summer break! You’re school goes pretty late into the season, Did you have many snow make up days? -M

19. Coco says:

Glad you ended the week strong! I love your little blueberry picker. 😉

20. kookyrunner says:

So sorry that your body is still feeling the affects of your fall. I really hope that the achiness goes away soon!

21. AJ says:

Good for you getting back out there after a fall! Falls always stick in my head.
    Friday is my last day of work and I can’t wait to be able to do a long run in the morning!

22. It’s so crazy to me that you guys are just getting out of school and packed up for the summer. We are a month into the break and I can’t believe it will be coming to an end soon!

So cute walking to the store in the rain. I’m sure your little guy loved it!

I let myself heal, rest up and then get right back out there. you have to get right back on that proverbial horse asap or it only gets harder.

23. therightfits says:

Sounds like a great week! I’m so impressed by anyone who pushes a stroller when running…seems twice as hard!

24. Great job getting back out there and staying focused.
    I hope your injuries heal up soon! I know how that can be.
    Your little guy is so precious! I’m glad he had a great bagel store adventure 🙂

25. HoHo Runs says:

Your son is so serious and so cute picking his berries! Great training this week. And I’m impressed you made the trek to the bagel shop in the rain! After I fell in the Chicago Marathon, races — especially larger ones — made me nervous. But, I eventually got over that. I think after you DON’T fall a few times, you regain your confidence.

Awesome job this week and way to get back up and out there after your fall! Can I say that my personal favorite of all of this was your walk to the bagel shop in the rain?! I love it!