Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 2

On October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Marathon training is quite the roller coaster: a roller coaster of events, of emotions, you name it, its a roller coaster.  Last week was a very clear reminder of this, as it was filled with both highs and a very low low.

Monday, June 11th

I kicked off week 2 of marathon training with a very strong run.  With it only in the mid-60s as well as being very cloudy when I set out for my run, I knew that it would be a great evening to push myself just a tad more during my run.  I really wanted to negative split, and that’s exactly what I did.  It was a reminder that if you want something badly enough that you just have to put your mind to it and make it happen.  And that’s exactly what I did.  After my 4.43 mile run I walked another half mile.

It felt incredible to kick off the week with such a strong run.

Tuesday, June 12th

After school I headed to the gym where I logged 35 minutes on the elliptical and then did 40 minutes of full body weight training.

Wednesday, June 13th

Wednesday wound up being an unplanned rest day.  Little man had been up several times in the middle of the night (it turns out that he was getting sick), which made me tired just from that.  By the time I got home from work I had a slight fever myself and was very achy.  It was clear that my body was working hard to fight something off.  I knew that I needed to listen to my body and rest instead of getting a workout in.

Thursday, June 14th

Since my husband had stayed home all day with a sick toddler, I decided to give my husband a break during my run and to run with the stroller.  I haven’t been running consistently with the stroller recently, and this run was certainly a reminder of just how hard it is to run with it.  My run was a slow and steady one, with extra walk intervals because of the extra weight from the stroller, but my husband appreciated the break, little man enjoyed his time outside, and I still got my run in.  It was a win for all of us.

Running with the stroller definitely makes for a very slow run, but slow miles are better than zero miles.

Friday, June 15th

I stayed home with my sick little man Friday morning, and then met my husband in the school parking lot to pass little man off so that I could attend my end of the school year faculty meeting and luncheon.  I’m glad that I was able to attend and celebrate the end of the school year with my coworkers.  The icing on the cake of the celebration was the certificate I received marking the end of my 10th year teaching, which has all been with the same school district.

Happy 10 years of teaching to me!

Saturday, June 16th

Saturday during my long run was when I hit my low point of the week.  I had seven miles on tap for my long run, and told myself that if I was feeling good that I would push myself to eight miles.  Unfortunately I had to cut my run short though, as I tripped and fell at 5.13 miles.  I landed face down on the sidewalk.  Although my face didn’t hit the ground, my knees, hands, and right shoulder did.  My shoulder wound up taking the brunt of the impact, and although I wanted to keep going I was in too much pain and was bleeding too much to do so.  Thankfully, my husband was able to come pick me up since I was several miles from home.  It was certainly a disappointing run, but I am thankful that this slight setback occurred early on in my marathon training.  There’s still plenty of time between now and race day.

Saturday’s long run gets a big fat thumbs down.

Sunday, June 17th

Sunday was all about celebrating Father’s Day, and we kicked off the day with a four mile family walk.  After lunch we headed to a winery about 30 minutes from our house to celebrate the wonderful father that my husband is.

My boys at the winery

It was a beautiful summer afternoon for a trip to the winery.

Total Weekly Mileage – 21.73 miles (1.38 miles more than week 1)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 42.08 miles

QOTD: How do you mentally handle the roller coaster of marathon training?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 2

1. merrillthon says:

I’m sorry about your fall and sick kid this week! I think you did really well in spite of it, and you seem to have a great attitude about it all. (I can be a big whiner when training/life doesn’t go as planned.) hope that shoulder and knees heal up quick!

2. Sorry to hear about your tumble from your run. But like you said plenty other runs this summer to make up for that. Congrats on your ten years! That is something to be very proud of!
    Cute pics from the winery!

3. Darlene says:

I’ve never run a marathon or even plan to. So I can’t be of help. I’m excited to follow your training.

I still find halfs (after 31of them) to be challenging.

4. Wendy says:

Ouch! Now you and I will have matching scars…when I crashed the bike, I landed on my knees and left shoulder too. The wounds were not the worst part of the fall–it was the unnerving feeling of losing control and crashing. Hopefully, you’ll be back running again in a day or 2.

5. So sorry about your fall! You are right, though–luckily this is early in your training and your wounds will be well-healed and forgotten by the time the marathon comes around. Your little boy is adorable!

6. Oh man! I’m glad you’re ok!! Marathon training is a tricky tricky beast. I’m in half-marathon mode right now but will be training for my next full in the fall/winter. It takes a lot of juggling. On the positive side, congrats on 10 years! That’s amazing!

7. runeatralph says:

Ouch! Sorry about that fall. That shoulder looks like it probably stung pretty badly in the shower.

8. sounds like a rough week! Hang in there girl and hope that your son is feeling better and that you did not get too banged up.This week is going to be tough with the heat!

9. Coco says:

Ouch! That was a bad way to end a run. Hopefully you will heal up quickly. Congrats on your 10 years of teaching!!

10. Montana Ross says:

Ooh that looks painful. I’m sorry you fell and had a crappy run. You’re not alone- I just had a crappy long run this Sunday too that was cut short. Like you said, its early on in training so there’s plenty of time to make it up, but yeah it does suck. And I also dislike taking unplanned rest days…I know the “listen to your body” makes sense but its hard to mentally get my head in the game when I miss a day of training.

11. HoHo Runs says:

I’m so sorry about your fall. I’m glad you weren’t seriously hurt. I have matching knee scars from falling DURING the Chicago marathon. It’s best you went ahead and got that out of the way! 😉 Chicago Marathon training is extra tough because it’s done during the hottest time of the year. Just remember those hot and hard runs will make you stronger for race day. Thanks for linking!

12. I think running, in general, is a roller coaster. Thankfully, it usually has more “ups” than “downs.” Ouch to the fall, but congrats to your 10-year anniversary!

Congrats on the 10 years! Hopefully now with summer here, you’ll have some really good training runs.

14. kookyrunner says:

So true that marathon training is full of so many ups and downs. so sorry about your fall on Saturday but I can that overall you were okay and didn’t suffer any broken bones.

15. I’m sorry about your fall – hopefully, there are no lasting effects. Congratulations on 10 years of teaching! – that’s awesome!

16. Great week! Congratulations on your 10 year teaching anniversary and Happy Father’s Day to your hubby!

Marathon training is tough. Maybe almost tougher than the race itself. it’s been a long time since I was in the throes of it, but I remember being a mess when runs weren’t going how I wanted or I wasn’t feeling as strong as I hoped to be. I know you’ll get through this!

17. michellerogerscpt says:

Ouch, so sorry about your injury! I fell like that on my bike once. Ugh

18. Ouch… Road rash is no fun. I hope you heal quickly and find yourself on the upward swing of marathon training! In a few months you won’t even remember this setback. You got this!

19. Renée says:

it is such a bummer to start the week off so great just to have it kind of deteriorate. And I mentioned it on facebook, but I’ll say it here too – falling sucks and I’m really sorry that happened to you but glad you are ok! hopefully week 3 will be better. in any case at least you had a really nice Father’s Day with your family – that’s so important too in the scheme of things! Marathon training is no picnic and I don’t even know WHY I want to run the distance (I just do) because I don’t even LIKE that distance, if you know what I mean! but the amazing thing is, you do all that training, some good, some crap, and it all comes to fruition on that one day. and whether you have a good race or not, you will always be richer in experience.

Isn’t it crazy how much the stroller bogs us down? I do love the extra resistance training it gives, though! 🙂 So very sorry about your fall! Hope you’re feeling better!

21. Girl you had rough parts to your week! I am sorry you had a fall, but I am glad you are ok!
    What a great accomplishment to reach 10 years teaching! I only made it 6 years before I had to take a break!
    Hope you are healing up and ready to get back to crushing your goals!

22. Pingback: Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 3 | From Dancing to Running

23. Liz Dexter says:

So very sorry about your fall. I just got one today as I’ve said on your weekly wrap post from this week. I’m glad you didn’t hit your head (I feel like I hit my cheek but I’m not sure if it was on the ground or my hand so I’m taking care to watch out for concussion symptoms). I have some big scrapes on one knee and elbow and one forearm, and a torn trainer! But I wanted to come by and say is this your first marathon because yes, peaks and troughs – what helped with mine was that I accepted each thing and let it pass, good or bad, and just carried on. Oh, and data points on falls – I fell Easter Sunday 2016 and cracked a rib and managed my first mara in August 2016. Had a stomach operation 2 May 2017 and ran the Birmingham marathon after taking a month off any running through the May. So you WILL be OK.

24. runnergirl25 says:

You’re absolutely right, it is a roller coaster. I hope your fall injuries are better.

25. Pingback: July 2018 Goals | From Dancing to Running