Let Marathon Training Begin, Round 2!

Later this afternoon I will complete my first training run for the 2018 Chicago Marathon.  I’m incredibly excited about what lies ahead of me over the next 18 weeks as I prepare to run my second marathon.

In case you forgot or missed my announcement back in October, I will once again be running the Chicago Marathon with Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  I’m incredibly excited about running with the team again, and doing so in memory of a childhood friend whose family greatly benefited from RMHC during her four year battle with cancer.  You can read more about Tammy’s story, as well as how to donate to RMHC, by visiting my fundraising page.

As I learned last summer, marathon training during the hot and humid summer months is anything but easy.  During her cancer treatments, Tammy refused to give up, and when training gets tough I will remind myself of why I’m running.  Running last year’s Chicago Marathon with Team RMHC made the training and race day journeys incredibly meaningful, and I couldn’t think of a better way to take on my second marathon, by doing so the same way that I ran my first marathon.

I had nothing but an incredible experience running with Team RMHC last year and cannot wait to run with the team again in 2018!

Another challenge that I will face during this round of marathon training is training while away from home.  We have a couple of trips planned for the summer, including a visit with my in-laws in New Jersey and my parents in Illinois.  I will also be accompanying my husband on a work trip to Miami in August.  While it is exciting to mix things up and run on my not usual routes, it will also require some extra planning to make sure that I can still get all of my training runs in while away and balancing my time with other activities.

Here’s to a great marathon training cycle, and being fully prepared for my second marathon in 18 weeks!

QOTD: What race(s) are you currently training for?

Thanks to Deb for hosting the Race Linkup.  Be sure to check out her post for more race ideas.

This entry was posted in Races, Training and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Let Marathon Training Begin, Round 2!

1. kookyrunner says:

So awesome that you are running the Chicago Marathon again this year. I hope that you have an awesome training cycle this summer!

That’s so exciting! I agree that it’s definitely more challenging getting those long runs in while traveling but hopefully it also helps keep things fresh to have new places to run in 🙂

I’m finding the training cycle for my fall race will be balancing the same thing. I’ll be starting training the same week I’m in Alaska, and it won’t be easy. My mind set right now is to enjoy the cruise more than getting that first week of training in.

4. Starting a new training plan is always fun! Good luck to you

5. Good luck with training and have fun! I know it’s going to be hot and miserable but hopefully you can reflect back on what worked and didn’t work for you last year!

6. Marcia says:

All the best with round two of Chi Marathon training! Cannot believe its already time to fire up the training cycle.

7. runninglikeadork says:

Good luck with the training and out-of-town runs! I first came across your blog when I was scouring the internet end of last year looking for all the Chicago race recaps I could find – I’m doing it too this year (3rd marathon, 1st Chicago – my training plan starts in 2 weeks)! I really liked your recap, it reminded me a lot of my first marathon. Looking forward to following along your training!

8. Jackie Mason says:

Summer running can be brutal (I live in Florida, and it has already been tough getting used to running in the humidity again!) I have only run 1 marathon back in January of 2017 and have been contemplating running a second. Hardest part is committing to all that training, but so worth it when you cross that finish line! Sounds like you have a great inspiration to keep you motivated!

9. Hooray for your second marathon training :). I am off for a few more weeks before I start training for my next half.

10. Coco says:

I bet you learned a lot last year that you can use to tweak your training this year. Miami in August could be rough – maybe a treadmill will be an option?

11. agsignor says:

Oooh good luck with the training! Can’t wait to follow your journey!

12. So exciting! I know you loved this event so much last time, and I bet this year is going to be even better!

13. Wendy says:

I’m excited for you to run Chicago again! This year I will be there at mile 13 to cheer everyone on. It’s such a great race.

14. No specific training for me until later in July, when I’ll ramp up my mileage for the Cannonball Marathon in October (Greensboro, NC). Good luck training for Chicago!

15. Renee says:

I’m super curious how it’s going to go this time around!! just plan ahead for the trainings while you are away and then do them, BUT don’t get super bogged down in details. I have done marathon training back home in Albuquerque, but also in places like Greece. If my long run says 17KM and I manage 14 in 1000 degrees then I say that’s a success 🙂 You can do it!!

I start my training next week for Warsaw Marathon, end of september.

16. I love that you are doing your second marathon. I was a huge fan when you were training for your first! And I’m especially touched by the cause – both my parents have battled cancer and thankfully survived but my aunt passed away about a month ago after a long and hard fought battle against this awful disease.

17. I will be out there on the roads and trails training for the same race. Battling plantar at the moment, but have a decent base of mileage and fitness to take it easy in June and get the training going full bore July 1. Good luck to you!

18. I just ran my big race of the year, Grand Teton Half, on Saturday. It was a lot of fun and so scenic!

Thanks for linking up!

19. Yay marathon training! I’m excited that you’re doing Chicago again – it’s a much different experience the second time around when you have an idea of what you’re getting yourself into!