June 2018 Goals

For the first time in at least a year and a half, I did not write out my monthly goals for this past month.  One of the many reasons that I share my goals here on the blog is because I find that it helps with my accountability.  I feel that if I share my goals publicly that I am more likely to follow through on reaching them.

This past month is certainly proof as to why it is important for me to verbalize my goals.  Being away for the first week of the month threw me off in multiple ways, including not being in my normal routine of reflecting on the previous month’s goals and then setting new monthly goals for myself.  With a lack of goals for the month of May, I found it incredibly difficult to stay focused on my bigger health and fitness goals for 2018, and I spent more time trying to talk myself into getting back on track than actually being on track.  Not setting specific goals for the month backfired, and now I feel like I need to undo several bad habits that I let myself get into during the month of May.

My focus for the month of June will be on setting the refresh button and not letting any excuses get in my way of doing so.

1.  Log at least 100 miles.

I am currently very behind track when it comes to reaching my 2018 mileage goal of 1,200 miles.  As of last night, my current mileage total for May is a mere 50.2 miles, and my 2018 total is 418.0 miles.  I have a lot of work to do to get back on track towards 1,200 miles for the year, but logging at least 100 miles in June will put me in the right direction.  I have just under 70 miles of running on my training calendar, and I’m sure that with focus and dedication I can easily log another 30 miles between the elliptical and walking.

2.  Lose at least 2 pounds.

Unfortunately, being out of a routine and being incredibly unfocused led to me gaining weight this past month.  I need to get back on track with my weight loss goal for the year.

3.  Work out at least five days per week.

With Chicago Marathon training starting on Monday, at least three days each week will be dedicated to running.  In addition to running, I also need to focus on cross and strength training in order to help prevent injury.  Cross and strength training will be increasingly important as the miles increase this summer during my marathon training.

4.  Weight train at least two days per week.

Even though I dread weight training, I know that it is incredibly important and very beneficial for multiple reasons.  I need to be better about consistently incorporating it into my workout routine.

QOTD: What are your goals for June?

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to June 2018 Goals

1. Darlene says:

Wow. Those are lofty goals but for you, totally doable.

I never set goals.

If I did, it would be to run 100 miles (but I rarely do), course PR in all my races (sometimes, stay injury-free, go to the gym once a week (ha ha never.)

2. Virjinia says:

You’re training for Chicago? Me too! I’ve been working since March just because I have crazy goals that I’m working toward. I do like to set goals and just having something to work toward. You can totally hit your miles next month since you’ll be training!

I’ve set one goal for myself and that’s to get outside every day after work. I didn’t get outside as much as I wanted with my last training cycle, and with it warming up, I have no excuses. I’ve gotten outside for a walk the past two days, and I want to keep it up.

4. I think my June goals will revolve around getting strength training in more often and upping my mileage. I have an ok schedule for my workouts right now but I could probably fix it and make it more set.

5. I have not even though about June goals yet, but a big one is to continue with at least 20 (usually 30) minutes of activity first thing every morning. Some mornings, I have a run on my schedule, but on all the other mornings, I love getting outside for a quick walk or some form of cardio.

6. It’s hard to stay on a plan while traveling. June will be tricky for me the first 2 weeks with grad stuff and travel.

7. Elaine D says:

I see the importance of setting goals to see where you’re heading and where you’ve been. I think it definitely is a good way to be held accountable. After I run the RNR San Diego Half this weekend, I plan to focus more on strength training and address my muscle imbalances which hopefully will fix my hamstring issues.

8. Wendy says:

I have goals but I don’t share them publicly. For me, putting them out there is too much pressure. Now that I’m starting to really slow down, I’m focusing more on just having fun.

9. Farrah says:

Best of luck to you on your goals this month! I need to work on #3 and #4!

10. Heading to Dr. this morning to have plantar checked out. Fully expect to need to minimize running. With Chi Marathon training, this will suck. My goal is 4x week workouts, probably focused on rowing, stretching and strength

11. Renee says:

I’m like you Kathryn. I do much, much better if I put my goals out there. I think your goals are great, only I just hope that maybe it’s not too much. I totally understand about wanting to catch up on your running miles to hit your target, just make sure that you also take time for yourself to also rest and maybe do something nice for yourself that isn’t training/running/ fitness related. You know yourself best though, just putting it out there ❤

I don't have goals yet for June! And OMG it's already June tomorrow!!