Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 8

Despite having a sick toddler at the end of the week, I was able to successfully get in all of my workouts last week.  While it took a bit of flexibility, I am so glad that I persevered and completed all of my planned runs, cross training, and strength training during my peak mileage week of training.

Monday, February 5th

I started the week off with a very strong run.  It was one of those when I felt strong from start to finish.  I managed to negative split while running on the treadmill, and ran my 4 miles at a sub 10 minute pace.  I’ve been frustrated lately that my pace hasn’t been where it was a year ago, but its runs like the one that I completed on Monday that make me hopeful that with more persistence, dedication, hard work, and patience that I’ll be able to overcome the unwanted weight gain that I experienced in late 2017 due to some health challenges, and eventually get back to being the runner that I want to be.

Hopefully more strong runs like Monday’s run are in my near future.

After my run I completed a one mile cool down walk and finished my afternoon at the gym with 10 minutes on the stair master.

Tuesday, February 6th

Just like on Monday, I headed to the gym immediately from school and spent 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by 35 minutes of full body weight training.

Wednesday, February 7th

Since I had a doctor’s appointment after school, Wednesday was my first planned rest day of the week.

Thursday, February 8th

Even though I had put my gym bag in the car when I left for work in the morning, I decided as I walked to my car after school that the weather was cooperative enough for me to run outside.  So instead of going to the gym like I had originally planned I headed home instead to change into warmer running clothes than what I had packed that morning.  Thursday’s run was one of those when I thoroughly enjoyed being outside and running, and I didn’t want my run to end, but I had Mommy and wife responsibilities to tend to back at home and couldn’t just run all evening.

I felt a bit like Forrest Gump on Thursday and just wanted to keep on running.

Friday, February 9th

Friday evening was a rough one at our house.  Little man was very sick, he and I each had to take multiple baths/showers, and we wound up with a lot of dirty laundry.  Seeing my baby sick is always so hard!

Saturday, February 10th

After a very rough night that involved getting up several times with little man, our entire family was exhausted by the time Saturday morning rolled around.  Even though I had a run on the agenda for the day, I knew that I wouldn’t be able to push through my run without taking a short nap while little man napped.  It poured all day long, and I wound up not making it to the gym for my run until after 5 p.m.  But I still got my planned 5 mile run in.  Better late than never!  My husband was even kind enough to support me staying at the gym after my run, and I was able to do 30 minutes of lower body and abdominal weight training.

I’m so thankful that I was still able to get to the gym on Saturday, despite the fact that little man was sick.

Sunday, February 11th

I had 13.1 miles on tap for my last double digit run before the half marathon in two weeks, but it was still pouring rain during most of the day on Sunday.  Thus, it was back to the gym to complete my long run on the treadmill.  Even though I started off at an easy pace, the last third of my run was very mentally and physically challenging.  I was incredibly happy when I finished my run, and walked an additional mile afterwards to stretch my legs out.

Now that my last double digit training run is done, the countdown to Princess Half Marathon weekend is on! Two weeks from yesterday I’ll earn my 15th half marathon medal!!!

Total Weekly Mileage – 31.57 miles (13.21 miles more than week 7)

Total Princess Half Marathon Mileage – 175.31 miles

QOTD: Would you rather run a half marathon in the pouring rain or on the treadmill?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Princess Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 8

1. kookyrunner says:

Awwe so sorry that your little guy was sick but hope that he is feeling better.

Great job on your workouts this week, especially your long run on the treadmill!

2. Marcia says:

I hope your little guy is feeling better! It’s absolutely awful when they’re sick. How awesome to enjoy some strong feeling runs. You really rocked the mill this week!

3. Wendy says:

I’m so glad you got some good runs in even with your little guy being so sick. Since you work in a school, you know how bad this winter is for illness! Stay healthy and i hope he’s back to his cute little self.

• Oh yes, the number of student absences because of the germs is definitely higher this year than in recent years. And I’m so thankful for a supportive husband who helps make it possible for me to be able to run. We definitely take our share of turns with caring for our little man.

4. It’s so hard when the kiddos are sick! Way to get it done on the treadmill for 13 miles. I don’t think I have that in me

5. Oh MAN! You deserve an additional medal for doing a half marathon on a treadmill! I don’t know if the weather could ever possibly be bad enough to convince me to do that – I’d either run outside or just bail on the run altogether. Huge high five to you for getting that done! I’m super impressed.

I hope your son’s feeling better! That was impressive that you got all your workouts in with a sick baby. And that you did a half on the treadmill! The rain all weekend really put a damper on things.

7. Sick kids is not fun, especially with added laundry. Way to get in your workouts last week!

8. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congrats on making it through a challenging week and getting it done! I hope your little guy is feeling much better!
    I haven’t run a super long run on the treadmill in a while (I get bored after 4 miles LOL) so I would probably choose the rain over the treadmill to be honest!

9. Joyful Mama says:

Awesome! I love those runs where you feel strong and great time!

I haven’t done a half marathon in the rain, but did do a 10-mile and 11-mile training run on the treadmill for my first half marathon. It was brutal, but that half marathon was my strongest.

11. So sorry about your sweet boy, so sad when kids get sick.
    But great job on getting your workouts in, and that 13 on the treadmill, wow! Honestly, don’t know how you do it all, your like superwoman between being a mom, a teacher and fabulous runner!

12. Boo to being sick! Hope the little guy is feeling better. And, I’d choose pouring rain over 13.1 on a treadmill….hands down, no questions. 😉

13. thefauxrunner says:

Hope he’s feeling better now! WTG on getting everything in.

14. Hope your baby boy is feeling better now! Not fun at all 😦 But well done on all those workouts! This is what I call truly balancing family and workout life! Go mummy!

15. Coco says:

Sorry your guy was sick. Hope you escaped it. Way to get it done on the treadmill. The rain on Sunday was crazy!

16. Elaine D says:

Wow 13.1 on the treadmill! I’ll choose the treadmill over pouring rain too! Sorry to hear about your son and hope he feels better this week.

17. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

Sorry your little was sick, it’s been a tough season for my kids too! Way to get that long run done on the ‘mill!!

18. Christine says:

I’m sorry your little guy was sick. That’s the worst when they’re sick and so little. They just don’t understand and you feel so helpless. But good job getting in all of your peak week workouts, in spite of the challenges!

19. I am sorry your little guy was so sick, that is very hard! You did amazing getting your training in. I don’t think I could stay on a TM for a long run – it is too much of a mental battle for me. I admire your perseverance 🙂

20. jessicam1407 says:

I hope your little man is feeling better! I know that must be hard on your mama heart!

21. Poor little guy!!!! I hate when they’re sick and there’s nothing we can do to help!

I think I might choose TM over rain. I truly dislike both options, but I think I might prefer to be dry.

I can’t wait to hear how your race goes!

22. I’m so sorry your baby boy was sick and hope he is feeling much better! Awesome runs and workouts last week! 13.1 miles on the mill?? You’re a beast! I would probably have to run half outside and half on the treadmill. It is so hot in our gym, I can’t make it over 5 miles in there! I sure hope we “run” into each other Princess Weekend!!

23. HoHo Runs says:

It’s so hard when the little ones are sick! I hope he is much better now. Great job this week with your training. 13 miles on the treadmill is very impressive! The TM causes problems with my Achilles so I’d choose a rainy run…or maybe a rest day. 😉 Thanks for linking!