February 2018 Goals

Like most people, I was very motivated to get the new year started off on the right foot.  I set ambitious goals for myself for both January and the entire year.  And despite a set back mid-month when I dealt with some groin pain, I did really well with staying on track with my January goals.

1.  Log at least 100 miles.

Grade: A-

My January mileage total was 92.2 miles, just 7.8 miles short of my goal.  In the past, I’d be kicking myself for coming so close to meeting my goal but not reaching it completely, but I’m allowing myself some grace since I wound up needing to skip a couple of workouts in favor of extra rest for my groin.  The 92.2 miles that I logged last month puts me 7.6% of the way towards reaching my 1,200 mile goal for 2018.

2.  Work out at least five days per week.

Grade: A-

I met my goal every week in January, with the exception of one week when I was dealing with the groin pain.  Again, I’m trying to not be hard on myself about this since I needed to listen to my body and give it the extra rest that it needed.

3.  Weight train at least two days per week.

Grade: A-

Just like with my second goal, I met my weight training goal every week except for one, though I did do an extra strength training session that week, it just wasn’t with weights.

4.  Lose at least 2 pounds.

Grade: A

Even though the month was a bit of a roller coaster in terms of my weight loss (by mid-month I had lost three pounds, but then gained most of it back and lost some again), I ended the month exactly two pounds lighter than I started the month at.  Success!

It also always feels good when you feel better wearing a certain piece of clothing that was previously tight on you.  I had the exact feeling earlier in the month when I wore a dress to work that when I wore it back in December I was far from happy how I looked in it.

5.  Cook in larger quantities.

Grade: C

Each week last month I did cook at least one larger meal each week, which resulted in some leftovers but not enough to last the entire week.  My family also ate out or had take out only a handful of times in January.  Although I wound up taking far fewer frozen entrees to work for lunch last month (even though they are far from the healthiest option the convenience factor cannot be beat), I still have some progress to make.

Overall, January was a very successful month and I’m optimistic that the same motivation that I had last month will carry over into this month.

1.  Log at least 100 miles.

Since I fell just a tad short of my mileage goal last month I want to go for it again this month.  Even though February is the shortest month of the year, I still want to see what I’m able to push myself to accomplish.  I do have two double digit runs on the calendar for the month (my last long run for Princess Half training will be next weekend, and then the half marathon is at the end of the month), which will greatly assist me in reaching my mileage goal.

2.  Work out at least five days per week.

Even though I already met this goal last month, I want to continue moving forward with my weight loss, which means I need to continue to remain very active.  February is historically a roller coaster month when it comes to the weather, and the weather always affects my motivation for working out.  So hopefully by having this goal I’ll remain motivated to keep moving regardless of what the weather is like outside.

3.  Weight train at least two days per week.

Since I didn’t 100% meet this goal last month I want to go for it again this month.

4.  Lose at least 2 more pounds.

Even though I know that February will be more challenging than January was in terms of weight loss, I want to continue moving forward.  In addition to having several social events on the calendar this month, I will also be away at Disney World at the end of the month.  There will be lots of tempting opportunities to get off track, but I need to stay focused if I want to be successful.

5.  Don’t overindulge at Disney.

I am now just under three weeks away from a fun girls’ weekend at Disney World for Princess Half Marathon weekend.  Just because I’m away doesn’t mean that I can let all of my goals go out the window though.  Yes, I want to enjoy a couple of treats while I’m there, but I also don’t want to completely undo all of the progress that I’ve already made with my weight loss.  The last thing that I want to do is return home and feel like I’m starting all over again.

QOTD: What are your goals for February?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to February 2018 Goals

1. Stephen says:

great goals! hope you succeed

2. Our weather this year was tough for running. You did a great job on your goals

3. kookyrunner says:

Great job on your January goals!

Loving your February goals! I’m sure that all the walking and running in Disney will offset any yummy treats that you have there. I hope that you have an awesome time there and a great race weekend!

4. H.A.G. says:

I like this monthly goal-check-in thing! You are right on top of goals instead of forgetting about them, and losing steam! Good luck and have a fun half at Disney!

5. lameshac says:

Congratulations on doing well in January. I look forward to reading your self-reflection at the end of this month! Keep up the great work 😉

6. Great goals! I love setting them! My main goal for February is to NOT go into labor! 🙂

But also, to do prenatal yoga at least twice a week and keep running as long as I can!

The meal prep is hard to do. Some weeks I make big meals and have leftovers, some weeks I don’t. Leftovers make dinners so simple.

8. I think you did great on your goals! It’s awesome that your clothes are fitting better- I think that’s the true gauge. Strength-training is gonna (eventually) add some muscle weight, but it will also slim you down. Heck, my weight fluctuates all the time by 2-3 pounds, depending on what time of the month LOL

9. Yay for your dress fitting better! That is exciting. It’s always the little things that make a big difference.

Great job with your January goals! It sounds like a goo dmonth overall minus the week with the groin pain.

11. Rachel says:

A girls weekend at Disney sounds like something I need to do. Have so much fun! And congrats on losing two pounds!

12. Marcia says:

You’ve got a solid year going so far. Have a blast at Disney!

13. Wendy says:

You did well! Did I ever mention that I don’t weigh myself? I just go by how my clothes fit. I’m so afraid I’d obsess over a pound or 2. Just keep on moving and enjoy those closet victories!

14. I should add weight training 2x/week to my goals for this month, but I think 1x/week is probably more realistic/feasible for me. We’ve all been sick recently so right now I’m just trying to get back in the swing of a normal routine overall!

15. You’ve got some great goals for February. I usually set monthly goals but haven’t gotten around to it yet – guess I better get cracking 🙂

16. Sounds like a you did a great job on your goals this week! We’re already into February and I’m still working on my January goals! Have fun at Disney!

17. The best feeling is when something feels a little loser when you put it on!
    Enjoy Princess weekend! You will be on your feet so much you can have a few treats and be okay I bet 🙂

18. Coco says:

It sounds like you are off to a great start! I was gung ho on cooking for about a week, and quickly lost my mojo.

19. movesandmemories says:

Very nice job on your February goals! One of my goals is to cook in larger quantities for meal prepping, too!

20. agsignor says:

That’s a pretty good report card if you ask me! And great goals for February. But you have three fewer days to log the 100 miles! Get it, girl!

21. Great job on your Jan goals! Hope your groin is all healed up! That can be a pain for sure to deal with!
    I need to get back to food prep this month!
    And my goal to run 3 times a week would be nice to hit!

22. Renee says:

I think you did great especially with the groin pain thrown in to the mix! Well done! I don’t mind cooking but I just never have the time I need for it so I end up getting up early and just cooking the meal I want for lunch that day. Believe me, it’s NOT ideal but for the last couple of weeks it’s worked. Hopefully you can get your food prep more on point in Feb if that’s something you are still interested in.

to be honest I haven’t even had time to think about Feb goals so likely I’ll just carry on with my weekly goals plus follow my training as much as possible now that I have a goal race in mind.

23. Pingback: March 2018 Goals | From Dancing to Running