Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 6

After a difficult and very painful week of dealing with unexplained groin pain, I took my chiropractor’s advice to heart this past week and avoided lower body strength training for the majority of the week.  When I saw her on Monday, she said that my alignment was definitely off and agreed with my assumption that I had pulled a muscle.  She suggested that I do four things: extra stretching, continue to take extra rest, not push my running pace too much, and lay off of any lower body weights for the week.  So that’s exactly what I did last week.

Monday, January 22nd

I started the week off with my first visit of the week to the chiropractor.  Since I was in a bit of pain when I got home I took the day off from working out.

Tuesday, January 23rd

There were so many reasons to smile after Tuesday evening’s run: the weather was absolutely gorgeous for late January (sunny and in the low 60s), it was my first run in new running shoes, and I completed the run pain free!  All reasons to celebrate!  Post run I did 20 minutes of upper body and abdominal strength training.

Beautiful weather, new shoes, and no groin pain made for an absolutely wonderful run!

Wednesday, January 24th

After work I headed straight for the gym where I spent 40 minutes on the elliptical followed by 20 minutes of upper body and abdominal weight training.

Thursday, January 25th

Thursday evening’s run was one of those that reminded me why I hate winter running.  The cold air got the best of me during my run and I was never able to get into a good running rhythm.  I wound up taking extra walks and ended my run disappointed in my performance.

Who else agrees that winter running sucks?

Friday, January 26th

With it being the end of the semester students were off from school and I had a teacher workday to work on grading.  I kicked off the day with my second visit of the week to the chiropractor.  Even though I had gone the majority of the week in much less pain than the week prior, there were still moments when I felt some pain.  After my appointment I spent a long day at school grading papers.

When I arrived home I received an exciting text from Kathleen: that our Magic Bands had arrived at our house!  That means that our girls’ weekend at Disney World for Princess is right around the corner!

Yay for Magic Bands!!!

Saturday, January 27th

I had originally planned on doing another set of back-to-back runs this past weekend to help prepare me for the Fairy Tale Challenge, but since Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous day and it was supposed to rain all day on Sunday (which it did), I opted to scrap the shorter run and move my long run to Saturday.  I’m so glad that I did.  Despite the high wind, it was 62 degrees when I started my run.  It felt amazing to run in short sleeves at the end of January.  Despite the fact that I spent much of the last 6.5 miles of my 11.5 mile run running into 20+ mph wind (sometimes uphill and into the wind), the sun and warm temperature made for a really enjoyable long run.

You couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face after being able to do a long run in short sleeves in January!

Sunday, January 28th

I ended the week at the gym with a late Sunday afternoon sweat session.  I spent 35 minutes on the elliptical and then did lower body strength training for the first time in a week.  I took my chiropractor’s suggestion to heart and did less weight than I usually do, but even after 30 minutes of lower body and abdominal weights I left the gym pain free!

Total Weekly Mileage – 26.70 miles (8.99 miles more than week 5)

Total Princess Half Marathon Mileage – 125.38 miles

QOTD: Do you prefer being hot or cold when you run?  I’m all for summer running!

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Princess Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 6

1. Wendy says:

Glad to hear that your groin pain subsided with a little rest! Now, onward and upward!

2. You know what, I love winter running in the day time (not at night) lately but I sure have been thinking a lot about summer running and the warmth!

3. kookyrunner says:

So glad to hear the your groin pain has gotten better. You definitely took the right steps to help it heal faster,

I always prefer being cold when I run. When I run in the summer it’s just such a miserable experience, especially with the humidity.

4. runeatralph says:

Such a difference between the Tuesday run and the Thursday run. I wish they could all be Tuesday runs! I hope whatever pain you’re dealing with goes away and stays away.

5. Darlene says:

Glad you are feeling better and that you listened to your body and the chiro.

Hope the pain stays away!!

6. Yay for new shoes and no pain. I always feel like runs go so much better and feel a bit easier in new shoes. I am on the hunt for a new pair. It was warm here this past week as well, but I still felt like I was a bit under dressed. I don’t warm up like i think I am going to.

7. I actually much prefer the colder temps for running. Last week was great for me! I can do without the wind though. Hope you are feeling better this week

I don’t mind cooler temps, but no wind please. That always makes it worse. Glad to hear the pain is subsiding.

Saturday was so nice even with the heavy wind! It was crazy how warm it felt for January.

10. Although I much prefer summer running, it’s not the winter running that I detest…it’s the winter weather. I’m done with the freezing cold air and obnoxious wind. Bring on summer!

11. Glad your feeling better and that the extra rest and stretching did you some good. Always fun to get new shoes – which Mizunos are they?

12. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I am that crazy person who prefers cold weather running lol. Still, I was so glad the weather was so mild on Saturday, despite the high winds! Glad you’re feeling better and your chiro has been helping with your groin issues. Love the new shoes!

13. HoHo Runs says:

I’m so happy to hear your groin pain was short lived. We still have our original magic bands and have used them multiple times. I’m so glad when they went to that system. It’s hard to believe Princess weekend is just around the corner. Oh, I’ll take a cold run any day. Thanks for linking!

14. I’m sorry you are still having some pain, but looks like you got in some good training runs and workouts! We got lit magic bands too!! It’s almost here!!!

15. tonee78 says:

Looks like a good week despite some pain. Hope it gets better. I like the colder weather for performance, but dislike anything under 50 for training.

16. Coco says:

I am glad you are feeling better. I saw women running in tank tops on Saturday!

17. runswithpugs says:

I’m so glad your pain is gone! Yay!

I understand hot running and my body is used to it, but I do like cooler temperatures for a change. Cool, mind you. Not 17 degrees LOL.

I can’t wait to read all about your races!

18. agsignor says:

Yay for feeling better! And I’m super jealous of all these Disney runs. It almost makes me want to run more than a mile! 😉

I’m glad to hear that the weather has warmed up a little for you guys and I’m so glad your groin pain is better!! Great job this week! 🙂

20. I like feeling cool when I run! Good to hear your groin pain isn’t as bad and you had some good runs in last week.

21. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

Hope you are feeling better! That is so exciting about our girl’s weekend at Disney, sounds like a blast!!

22. jessicam1407 says:

Yay for your Magic Bands arriving!! I’m so excited for you for your trip. You’ll have a blast!

23. I’m glad you are feeling better! Sounds like you got some good miles in, and YAY for Magic Bands! It is always so exciting when they arrive

24. thefauxrunner says:

I so badly want to do Princess again, but the change in all things runDisney from 6 years ago puts me off.

25. Rosalie says:

Have you ever gone to a physical therapist? I am so skeptical of chiropractors. I feel like they are not real doctors and I can’t trust them to help me. But lately I’ve seen sooo many runners going to a chiropractor so now I’m starting to rethink it.

• I’ve seen a couple of PTs before. The last one that I saw (back in college) felt like a band aid solution to the pain that I was in at that time. I think like most in the medical field, some people are much better to work with than others.

26. Amber W. says:

I loved reading this! I am so intrigued by other’s training plans for halfs! Do you typically run 3 or 4 x per week – also glad your groin is feeling better – jealous of january t shirt weather. it’s 14 degrees where I live 😉

27. Renee says:

I’m glad the groin pain is less and you’ve been able to run! unbelievable that you were in a short sleeved tee for your long run!

I guess I prefer cold really, though I like less clothes on so then maybe hot? hahaha! why isn’t perfect spring-weather a choice???

what are magic bands actually? I know nothing about Disney really… #dontshootme hahahaha!

28. Pingback: Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 7 | From Dancing to Running