My 2018 Race Calendar

One of my goals for this year is to PR in every race distance that I run.  I know that this is going to be quite a challenge, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not up for it.  This goal has been in the back of my mind as I have been working on figuring out which races I’ll be running this year.

I’m currently only registered for four races this year, but I have many more on the list of possible races to run this year.  I don’t want every race that I run this year to be a goal race, so I’m trying to carefully balance my choices out while also considering the needs of my family as well.

Below is what the draft of my 2018 race calendar currently looks like.  Races in italics are the ones that I have not yet registered for.

February 3rd – For the Love of It 10k – This race will be a last minute decision, mainly because I want to keep my eye on the weather and see if the weather will be more or less ideal for running a winter race.

February 24th – Princess Enchanted 10k (Part 1 of the Fairy Tale Challenge) – As I’ve previously shared, my friend Kathleen and I will be running this race with the only goal being to have fun.

February 25th – Princess Half Marathon (Part 2 of the Fairy Tale Challenge) – Like with the 10k, the one and only goal of this race will be to have fun.

March 4th – Reston 10 Miler – Like with the For the Love of It 10k, whether or not I register for this race will be a last minute decision based on the weather.  I haven’t run a 10 mile race since April 2015 so I’d like to change that this year.

April 22nd – Loudoun Half Marathon – I ran this race last year and really enjoyed it for multiple reasons.  This will likely be my first half marathon PR attempt this year.

After last year’s Loudoun Half Marathon

July 4th – Firecracker 5k – I have no idea what our 4th of July plans are yet, but if we’re in town I’d like to kick off our country’s birthday by running this local race.  I’ve previously run this race in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

August 19th – Leesburg 20k – This race should work well as a long training run for the Chicago Marathon.  I absolutely loved my race experience back in 2014 and this would definitely be a fun way to complete one of my marathon training runs.

Nearing the finish line of the 2014 Leesburg 20k
Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

October 7th – Chicago Marathon – I’m hopeful that with the right focus, dedication, and training that I will be able to run this race faster than I did this past year.  Just like last year, I’ll be running with Team RMHC again.  I cannot wait to represent this fantastic organization once again this year.

There are a couple of other races that I have in the back of my mind as possibilities for this year, but this is the current list of races that I think is most realistic for myself and my family.  I cannot wait to see what I’m capable of accomplishing this year and how close I’ll be able to come in reaching my PR goal this year!

QOTD: What races are you most looking forward to running in 2018?

I am linking up with Deb for the Race Linkup.  Be sure to also check out her post for more race ideas.

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to My 2018 Race Calendar

1. runrunmomma says:

Good for you! I still haven’t figured out my racing schedule. Good luck with your training!

2. Marcia says:

Kudos to you for having your racing year mapped out already. I haven’t gotten past March. Haha!

Love your race calendar! Sounds like a great year of races!

I only have one race on my calendar right now, but I am curious about the smaller local races. Those could help me train this spring.

5. We have to meet up at the 10K in a few weeks!

6. Darlene says:

Congrats on planning out your year. GL with those PRs.

7. My calendar is already filling up…I have races almost every month up through September. And, now I’m finding additional ones on some of the “free” weekends in there as well. Too many options.

8. How fun!! I bet you can definitely reach that goal girl!!! I can’t wait to see you rock those races!! Good luck!!!

9. AJ says:

I need to put a race on my calendar!

10. Your calendar is so full! I’m a little jealous. I don’t have one single thing on mine yet.

11. thefauxrunner says:

Nice calendar and love that you are all planned out.

12. Wendy says:

You’ve got a great race calendar! I can’t plan that far ahead. I’ve got some races in mind but I need to see how the year plays out.

13. De Bolton says:

I love how you have the year scheduled already. Looks like you’re focused and excited to see what this year brings for you smashing your PRs.

14. Sounds like a great year of racing! Chicago is definitely on my list for one day!

15. What a great lineup! Like you, I’ve signed up for several and have a few others on my radar–also mainly depending on the weather. Right now I’m signed up for 3 marathons: Grandma’s in June, Berlin in September, and Chicago in October. I’m looking forward to them all, but mostly Berlin since it will be my first foreign country race. I’m also signed up for two halfs–one in my hometown in April, and Napa to Sonoma in July (definitely looking forward to that one! It will be my 3rd consecutive with this fantastic venue). I’m also signed up for a sprint triathlon in my hometown in August. That one will be interesting, since I can’t swim!

16. lameshac says:

If I see you in Loudoun I’ll be sure to yell something about blogging 😊. My racing schedule is pretty packed but I’m considering including the Reston 10 Miler. I’m running three half marathons in April. Yeah, I know, I know … who thought that was a good idea aka “when keeping track of your calendar goes wrong!”

• I take it that you’re also a fan of PR Races just like I am? They do such a great job with all of their races.

• lameshac says:

I am a fan of a variety of races; PR is one of them but I also like Bishops Events, Rock-n-Roll, Race 13.1, and Marine Corps race series. I’ll be writing reviews on at least one race from each of them. 😃 I feel very fortunate to be in an area that has plenty for runners to do 😊

17. agsignor says:

That seems like a great lineup! Running in Disney would be awesome!

18. tonee78 says:

Looks like a great lineup of races…I Will definitely see you in Chicago!!!

19. jessicam1407 says:

As a total Disney nerd over here, I can’t wait to read about your Fairytale Challenge experience! I’ve only done one RunDisney (by myself!) and I already want to do more!

20. MCM Mama says:

Good luck with the PR attempts! You’ve got some great races on your calendar.
    I only have two races on mine so far – Frederick Half in May and MCM in October. No idea what else I might end up doing.

21. I plan to run the Firecracker 5K and Leesburg 20K, so hopefully I’ll see you at one of those races. I might consider running the Loudoun Half or the shorter race, or at least going out to cheer the runners on.

Thanks for linking up!