Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

This past week was a very interesting week.  With New Year’s Day on Monday, I headed back to work on Tuesday.  Tuesday and Wednesday were regular school days, with the only exception being that everybody was watching the weather.  Overnight Wednesday night into Thursday, it snowed less than an inch, but with how cold its been here lately, in addition to there being high winds, it was enough for school to be canceled.  Then Thursday evening we received notice that school was also closed on Friday due to the dangerously low wind chills that we were forecasted to have.  The very cold temperatures remained throughout the weekend, and it took lots of self talk to bundle up anytime that we needed to leave the house.

Needless to say, all of my workouts were done indoors last week.  Not only am I a wimp when it comes to dealing with the cold, but the sidewalks in our area had too many patches of ice last week.  It was just not worth the safety risk to try and run outside.  Thankfully, my gym never felt overly crowded, despite it being the first week of the new year.  I’m not sure where all of the New Year’s resolutioners were, but I was quite happy that the gym wasn’t as packed as its been at the beginning of January in past years.  It made it much easier to get all of my workouts in.

Monday, January 1st

Since I completed an 8 mile run last Sunday, I kicked off the week and 2018 with cross training and weight training.  I spent 40 minutes on the elliptical followed by 30 minutes of full body weight training.

Tuesday, January 2nd

Despite the New Year’s gym crowd, I still managed to run on one of my favorite treadmills at the gym.  Score!

Wednesday, January 3rd

Since I had an appointment at the chiropractor after school I took the rest of the evening  off from working out.

Thursday, January 4th

With Thursday being the first day of Disney World Marathon Weekend, I decided to participate in the indoor virtual 5k race, as the 5k race was held at Disney that morning.  I even dressed up for the occasion and wore the “Run Now Wine Later” tank that I wore in November 2016 for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon.  After my run I walked another mile.

Virtual races are always a great source of motivation. Thursday’s #IndoorWDW5k was just what I needed to push myself to run a tad faster than I have been lately.

Friday, January 5th

With the wind chill well below zero for the majority of the day, I was too cold to do much that day.  It wasn’t initially planned, but I wound up deciding to make Friday a rest day.

Saturday, January 6th

Even though Saturday was another very cold day with the wind chill again below zero for most of the day, I finally found motivation to do an at home strength training workout Saturday evening.  I spent 30 minutes focusing on my lower body and abs.

Sunday, January 7th

I moved my long run for the weekend to yesterday, and am so glad that I did.  I started off my long run slow, and slowly increased my pace with each mile.  Even though I was worried about how the run would go, especially since it had been incredibly cold multiple days in a row and I had struggled with my 8 miler last Sunday, this run wound up being a great one.  I felt strong throughout my run, ran perfectly negative splits, and managed to run the last mile in 9:40!  After my run I walked an additional mile.

Yesterday’s long run was the complete opposite of last week’s.  The only similarities were that they were completed on the treadmill and that I started out slow. But yesterday as I slowly picked up the pace, I felt stronger with each mile.

Total Weekly Mileage – 18.62 miles (0.10 miles less than week 2)

Total Princess Half Marathon Mileage – 55.26 miles

QOTD: Do you enjoy running outside in the cold weather, or do you run on the treadmill when it is cold outside?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Wendy from Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Princess Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

1. NoSanchez says:

Brrrr so cold. I run on treadmill if the weather is too harsh to run in.

2. I enjoy running outside when it is at least 15-20 degrees. Below that I will typically choose to run inside. I will often split the distance between running the track, treadmill, and sometimes the zero runner to combat boredom.

3. The cold weather kept me inside last week as well. It’s no secret how much I loathe the treadmill, so I have to run any “runs” on them with progressive speeds to get me done as quickly as possible 😉

4. kookyrunner says:

Great job on your workouts this week!

The weather was so brutal this week! I actually ended up working from home on Thursday/Friday and all of my workouts (except for Monday) were indoors as well. I’m looking forward to our “heatwave” this week, lol

5. Coco says:

Great week! I generally prefer to brave the cold, but I have my limits and I think 17F May be the coldest I’ve run in.

6. Wendy says:

It was really a tough week to be a runner! Glad you were able to get all your runs in.

7. Great week of workouts! We too had a horrible snow/freezing rain and hurricane winds last Thursday/Friday with no school for the kids! AND, another snow day for them – lucky ducks! I’ve been loving running in the cold winter temps lately, though last week I didn’t get out for 1 run other then NY day.

8. I actually enjoy running in the cold a lot, but not so much when it gets below 0!

9. movesandmemories says:

I have also been trying to balance my running between outdoors and the treadmill given these cold temps.

10. I have been braving the cold temps and it really has not been too bad if you are dressed correctly. Looking forward to our warm up this week

11. In general, I despise treadmill running but there was no way I was going outside this past week. My gym was crowded but manageable. Hope this week is warmer!

12. I really like running outside in the cold (I did four miles on Saturday in about 7 degrees), but only with the right gear. I wore a merino wool base layer, a long sleeve tech shirt mid-layer, and a Nike jacket that is an absolute GAMECHANGER if you ever need/want to run outside in the cold (Mine is a HyperShield, which I don’t think they sell anymore. I don’t know if there’s an equivalent, but I’m not exaggerating when I say that it changed my winter running life. It’s wind and waterproof (I ran six miles in the pouring rain and driving wind with this jacket last winter, and my torso stayed completely dry. Everything else, not so much. Haha.) and I have never once been uncomfortable in it. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend trying to find a jacket that does the same if you need to run outside during the winter. It’ll change everything), plus my warmest tights (also wind/waterproof, and fleece lined), plus my warmest convertible gloves (ones that can turn into mittens), plus a Buff, plus a SmartWool hat. Without any of that, I don’t think I would enjoy winter running even half as much.

13. AJ says:

Great job! Where did you find out about the virtual race. I’m thinking maybe I could start with one of those!

I’m a wimp with the cold too, and the dark. I’m enjoying my treadmill right now, and playing with the hill intervals.

15. Marcia says:

Way to get all your runs in. I enjoy cold weather running but ice and roads that aren’t safe are deal breakers. It’s been a tough winter to run outside.

16. tonee78 says:

Great job! I am a big baby when it comes to the cold, especially since I moved to FLorida. under 40 is too cold for me now. It;s insane.

17. Great work! I try to avoid the treadmill at all costs. I don’t have one and I don’t have a gym membership, so no access to one, really. The temps never really get below 30 around here, so that’s doable for outdoor running if I feel like braving it.

18. What a great week of training!

19. jessicam1407 says:

Running inside or out really depends on my mood for me…as well as time of day. I hate running in the dark. Way to go getting all your training in with the less than ideal weather!

20. agsignor says:

I always joke that if I’m running, everybody else better be running because some large animal is chasing me… cold or no cold. But I’ll snowshoe and snowboard as long as the wind isn’t too bad!

21. I have had to run indoors but because of extreme heat! The last week has been awful. Actually since New Year’s Day we have had awfully high temperatures (Southern Hemisphere) and we have stayed indoors because of it. One of the runs I did outdoors was at 20:30 at night and at that time it was still over 91F! Sounds like we all need to find some middle ground in terms of temperatures. It’s all too extreme!

22. Renee says:

great week despite the cold and snow! i do not envy you guys at all! SUPER GREAT long run! I can imagine you felt really stoked afterwards!

I would rather be running outside in the cold ANY DAY OR NIGHT than running on a treadmill. I used to train a lot on the ‘mill years ago but I just can’t deal anymore. I am not training for anything right now so I’ve been really choosy about my run days (and lately it’s been only 1x a week, on Sunday). To those of you who do it on the ‘mill, my hat is off to you!

23. Way to be smart and bring your training outdoors! I, on the other hand, ran in the brutal Chicago cold all week! I did a very sloooowwww run on Sunday during an icy rain. The roads were treacherous!

24. HoHo Runs says:

Great job in getting in those treadmill miles. At least your gym wasn’t crowded, but it’s odd it wasn’t. I gave away my treadmill and thankfully our winters are nothing compared to yours. But, I do miss it occasionally in the summertime. I still have a gym membership though if I get desperate. I love that Disney tank! Thanks for linking!

25. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job on your workouts, training is off to a great start! I ran on the treadmill once last week and was able to do my 3 other runs outdoors. I’m one of those crazies who love cold weather running, though I prefer above freezing!