January 2018 Goals

Earlier this week I shared my goals for 2018.  Just like I have in the past, I’ll continue to set monthly goals to help keep me focused and on track towards meeting my bigger goals for the year.  I find doing this to be incredibly helpful, as it keeps my goals at the front of my mind and forces me to check in and reflect on my progress on a regular basis.

Before I share my goals for this month, let me first reflect on how I did with my December goals.

1.  Log at least 120 miles.

Grade: C

I’ll admit that I was very ambitious when I set this goal for myself, but I wanted to see just how far I could push myself to meet my yearly mileage goal, which on December 1st I was just under 120 miles away from reaching.  In hindsight, 120 miles was a bit unrealistic, especially given that I knew how busy the second half of the month was going to be.  My final total for December was 76.1 miles.

2.  Weight train at least two times per week.

Grade: C

During the first half of the month I reached my goal, but once the social and family events increased in frequency during the second half of the month my focus on weight training nearly disappeared.

3.  Stay healthy and sane.

Grade: A-

For the most part I succeeded in reaching this goal.  There were only a handful of days when I either suffered from a migraine or otherwise felt rundown.

Now that its a new year, I’m eager to start the year off strong and on the right foot.  Thus, I have some ambitious goals for this month.

1.  Log at least 100 miles.

My 2018 mileage goal is 1,200 miles.  Since I want to start the year on a strong note, I’d like to log at least 100 miles, which is the number that I need to log in order to be on track for reaching my mileage goal this year.

2.  Work out at least five days per week.

In addition to running, I also want to make sure that I’m focusing on cross training and weight training this year, and doing so on a regular basis.  I want to work on getting into a better habit of working out at least twice each week in addition to my regular three days of running per week.

3.  Weight train at least two days per week.

Weight training is essential for multiple reasons, especially when it comes to making me a stronger athlete and helping me to prevent injury.  While I’d like to increase this frequency down the road, I think that two days per week is a realistic goal for me right now.

4.  Lose at least 2 pounds.

My goal this year is to lose 5 pounds, and then keep them off.  I’m hoping that my beginning of the year enthusiasm will help give me the jump start that I need to get the ball rolling on this goal.

5.  Cook in larger quantities.

One of my downfalls is that when there isn’t a leftover in the fridge to grab for lunch that I usually turn to throwing a frozen entree into my lunch bag to bring to school with me.  Frozen entrees are far from the healthiest thing for me to have for lunch.  Cooking in larger quantities will help to ensure that there are more leftovers in the fridge, which will still provide me with something quick and easy to grab and take with me in the mornings.

QOTD: What are your goals for January?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to January 2018 Goals

1. I love your goals! One of mine is also to run 1,200 miles this year. I also want to do more strength training. I know it will help me become a better and faster runner but then find myself slacking off.

Great job staying healthy in December! It’s such a hard month with so much stress and this year, it seemed like everyone was sick at some point during the month.

3. Fairytales and fitness says:

That cooking thing is a good goal to have. I too throw a frozen entree in my bag because it’s so easy! It’s hard to think about cooking larger quantities when it’s just the two of us right now. Do you freeze some entrees? If so what containers do you use?

4. Cook in larger quantities….love this! I usually make more then we need for left overs (lunches) or to freeze for another day!

I love cooking big dishes because of the leftovers. I take sandwiches to work for lunches, but the leftovers make it easy at the end of the day. If I don’t feel like cooking, or a workout goes long, I just throw some leftovers in the microwave.

6. Awesome goals! I want to work on more unilateral movements to strengthen my weak side and avoid injury!

7. Good luck with your goals! My main focus in January is to enjoy my off-season by running a little less and strength-training a bit more.

8. These are great goals and I know you’ll achieve them all!!

9. I have learned that December is a hard month for goals. Trying to stay sane and maintain is always my goal

10. I really like you January goals – especially cooking in larger quantities. I need to do this because I do a terrible job with my lunches.

11. I like the goal of cooking in large quantities! Every time I cook more than I think we’ll need my husband ends up just eating more! Haha I guess I need to double it!

12. atim effiong says:

I like the idea of cooking in large quantities. I plan to use my Instant Pot more to help me do that!

13. Renee says:

I really need to cook more too, for leftovers/ lunches! I say it all the time and then I never follow through. It’s a great goal, I am going to try it again!

I have some goals for the year but am breaking them into chunks anyway – financial, decluttering, 10K steps a day, lose a bit of weight, no junk food/drinks at work and try new classes at the gym!

14. Wendy says:

Looks like a great start to 2018!

15. Marcia says:

I’d say staying healthy and sane during December is a huge win! As much as I resisted it, meal planning and prep has been a game changer for me.

16. Farrah says:

Best of luck to you on your goals this month! I’m hoping to also work out at least 5 days per week! I’m also hoping to start up meal prepping again so that I can save more time and eat healthier!

17. jessicam1407 says:

Good luck! I look forward to watching your progress!!

18. tonee78 says:

Great goals! 100 miles is alot, but you can definitely achieve it!!! Meal prepping saves me from overindulging and stopping and grabbing fast food. I cook big batches of various foods over the weekend so I have no excuses for during the week.

19. MCM Mama says:

Great goals! I don’t have a minimum mileage goal for the year, but I do have a goal of at least 100 miles a month. I hear you on the cross training as well. I’ve been doing really well with it lately and hope to keep it up.

20. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

December is a tough month! I love how you grade yourself on your goals too, that is a good method for accountability!