Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Weeks 1 and 2

After taking just over two months off from official training after the Chicago Marathon, I kicked off Princess Half Marathon training back on Monday, December 18th.  By starting my training on the 18th, it’ll give me 10 weeks to prepare for my next set of races – the Princess Enchanted 10k on Saturday, February 24th and the Princess Half Marathon on Sunday, February 25th.

My friend Kathleen and I will be running these races together, and our one and only goal during Princess weekend is to have fun.  Thus, the focus of this training cycle is on preparing to run safe races.  With there not being a PR focus, some of the pressure for this training cycle is alleviated and the main focus is to just get the miles in.

Kicking off training during the height of the Christmas season was far from easy, but I did my best to fit in workouts when I could, and overall had a great first two weeks of training.

Week 1:

Monday, December 18th

I kicked off Princess training with a 5k run.  To celebrate the beginning of Princess training, I decided to wear my Belle Sweaty Bands headband since she’s my favorite Disney princess.

Tuesday, December 19th

Due to little man feeling under the weather and being extra clingy to me, I wound up taking an unplanned rest day.  #MotherRunnerProbs

Wednesday, December 20th

I headed to the gym for a cross and weight training session, during which I spent 35 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes doing full body weight training, and 10 minutes on the stairmaster.

Thursday, December 21st

Thursday evening was one of those nights when the stars aligned for me.  All day I had been thinking that I would have to bundle little man up and put him in the BOB stroller in order to get my run in.  However, my husband wound up coming home enough early from work that I was able to run on my own.  During my run, I was able to enjoy an absolutely beautiful sunset, and managed to run negative splits during my run.  Yay!

Friday, December 22nd

Friday was a complete and total rest day as far as fitness was concerned, but with little man’s 2nd birthday the next day and Christmas right around the corner I was kept plenty busy with lots of chores and errands.

Saturday, December 23rd

My first long run of Princess training wound up being one of those runs that just did not go according to plan and I had to cut my run short.  I had intended to run 7 miles, but around mile 5 the wind really picked up with gusts well over 20 mph.  I struggled for over a mile, running into the wind, and at the 10k mark knew that I needed to stop.  I wound up walking the last mile home, so I still completed all 7 planned miles, just didn’t run all of them.

Sometimes runs just don’t go according to plan and you have to know when to call it quits.

Sunday, December 24th

Christmas Eve was a rest day as far as fitness was concerned, but with plenty of family activities for the day it was anything but a relaxing day.

Total Weekly Mileage – 17.92 miles

Week 2:

Monday, December 25th

Between being tired from all of the Christmas Eve and Day activities, coupled with the wind being over 20 mph outside, I opted to bundle up and complete a powerwalk during little man’s nap instead of my planned run.  The most important thing is that I got outside and got moving, and made time to do so on a very busy day.

Tuesday, December 26th

While we were out of town visiting my in-laws for Christmas the weather was anything but runner friendly.  Between the temperatures well below freezing, as well as the wind, I was not feeling up for braving the elements.  Thankfully, my sister-in-law was kind enough to let me run on her treadmill Tuesday evening, so while our sons were upstairs playing I took a quick break from the family and ran on the treadmill in her basement.

Running on my sister-in-law’s treadmill was a welcome break from being outside in the freezing cold.

Wednesday, December 27th

I was absolutely exhausted from all of the Christmas family activities and was in desperate need of this rest day.  I even took a nap during little man’s nap.  I cannot remember the last time that I did that!

Thursday, December 28th

Even though I didn’t do any formal exercise on Thursday, I was quite active, as Preston and I spent the day in New York City.  We spent the morning and early afternoon down at the World Trade Center at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum and St. Paul’s Chapel, and spent mid and late afternoon doing a walking tour of some of the store holiday displays in Manhattan.  According to Apple Health I walked 9.6 miles that day!

Preston and I in front of the tree at Rockefeller Center

Friday, December 29th

After driving home from New Jersey and then taking little man to his two year old doctor’s appointment, I found some energy from I’m not sure where to do an at home workout.  I spent 25 minutes using my ankle weights doing a lower body and ab workout.

Saturday, December 30th

Saturday’s treadmill run was one of those when I felt strong from start to finish.  I carried that strong feeling with me after my run when I did a 30 minute full body weight training workout.

Sunday, December 31st

Unfortunately, Sunday’s run did not go anywhere near as well as Saturday’s did.  The last three miles of my eight mile run were both a physical and a mental struggle.  My body was sore from Saturday’s workout, and the further that I ran on the treadmill the more bored I became.  I wound up taking some extra walk breaks, but the important thing is that I didn’t give up and that I finished.

Total Weekly Mileage – 18.72 miles  (0.80 miles more than week 1)

Total Princess Half Marathon Mileage – 36.64 miles

QOTD: How do you mentally and physically manage the challenges of cold weather running?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Princess Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Weeks 1 and 2

1. kookyrunner says:

Great job on your two weeks of training! Unfortunately I think that this crazy cold weather might force a lot of us to do a few indoor treadmill runs. Hopefully it won’t be for long though!

2. How fun that you got to visit NYC! I love visiting there at Christmas time. Did you get to go to any shows?

I usually don’t run outside if it’s under 20 some degrees which we don’t usually get here but the past few weeks we’ve gotten plenty of sub 20 days! Enjoy the rest of your PHM training. That weekend will be here before we know it!

Great job with your training for princess so far! I have that Belle sweaty band too! Love it!! 🙂

Sounds like a fun day in NYC! I’ve been using the treadmill a lot recently to to avoid running in the cold. I’ll work on getting acclimated to the cold after Disney but I figure it doesn’t make sense to do it now when the low in Disney will be at least 20 degrees warmer than the highs here.

5. What a great two weeks of training! It’s definitely hard getting those workouts in over the holidays, and you did a great job! The Princess Race weekend sounds like so much fun! Looking forward to following your journey!

I’ve been using my treadmill since our cold snap came in fast. There’s too much ice for me to be able to just run, and I think it’s a harder workout when I’m constantly avoiding ice patches. I can use the treadmill which isn’t ideal, but I can relax and just run.

7. I’m all about running in cold weather, though I will admit I haven’t been running at all for the past few weeks, so I might be changing my tune after I go out for a run on Saturday! I firmly believe that the one key to enjoying a cold weather run is dressing appropriately, but when the wind whips up, there’s really not a whole lot you can do to make that more pleasant.

8. Getting outside was “easy” up until yesterday…when my Streak officially ended and my off-season began. Now, the colder-than-cold temps feel even colder…and they really are just more of the same. If I have a goal I’m working towards (like the running streak was for me), I can suck it up and just do it. If I’m not training for anything specific (or, finally enjoying my off-season), my motivation to head outside is not too strong.

9. Rachel says:

I’m envious of all your running! I’ll just have to live vicariously through you for a while. 🙂

10. Looks like you are off to a great start! It is always more fun to have a friend that is training for the same races as you are.

11. It’s been really unusually cold down south this week. I ran New Year’s Day but that’s it. I don’t really have the cold weather running gear I need for freezing temps!! I sure hope I “run” into you at Disney Princess! I can’t wait!

12. AJ says:

Good work on your training. I find winter running tough as I often have to wear double layers head to toe and I just got yak trax to deal with the icy conditions. Mentally I try to always have something positive to do right after my run to “reward” myself:)

13. Wendy says:

Good luck pushing through some tough runs and bad conditions! This past month has been a real challenge for us outdoor runners. I am hoping things turn around!

14. agsignor says:

Someday I want to visit New York City around Christmas time! I hope you get a few more outdoor runs in before Bombogenesis hits!

15. Renee says:

from great to not so great and everything in between! you really started training off with a bang and kudos for doing that during the holiday season!!

The less frequently I run the more I hate running in crappy weather. It’s been really windy and stormy here too – not too cold but the wind is just insane! I’ll have to pull up my big girl pants though soon when I start my training end of this month… It’s hard, especially when you have to run on a treadmill!

16. The winter is really throwing everything off this year! No extreme here like you have but cold and wind is driving me crazy and indoors!

17. HoHo Runs says:

It’s nice you were able to take a break during Christmas and run indoors on your SIL’s treadmill! That pic of you and your husband in front of the Rockefeller tree is awesome. Good luck as you continue to train for Princess. Hopefully, you’ll have perfect Disney weather which will be such a treat after the frigid winter training. Happy New Year and thanks for linking!

18. tonee78 says:

Some runs are great and some runs suck, but we learn from them all!! Keep UP THE AWESOME WORK!

19. Pingback: Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3 | From Dancing to Running