2017: My Year of Running

Its mid-December, which means that its time to start looking back and reflecting on the past year.  It feels like every year that time flies by faster than it did the year prior, and in many ways I feel like I just wrote my 2016 Year of Running post.  Just like in 2016, I ran fewer races than I did prior to having little man, but between devoting more time and energy to my family, as well as spending 18 weeks training for my first marathon, being pickier about which races I run is what’s best for my family and I currently.  That does not mean that I haven’t been running though.  In fact, I ran more miles in 2017 than I ever have before.

I’m excited to reflect on this past year of running, and to once again participate in Courtney’s Year of Running linkup.

My Running by the Numbers (as of December 13th):

Total Miles Run: 788.4 (So far 255.6 miles more than 2016, and the year isn’t over yet!)
1 Marathon
4 Half Marathons
3 10ks
1 5k

My Best Race Experience:

It should be of no surprise that my best race experience of 2017 was running my first marathon, the Chicago Marathon.  Even though the race didn’t go as I had hoped due to the warm weather and indigestion that I experienced during the race, running the streets of Chicago was an absolutely unforgettable experience.  I was honored to be able to run with Team Ronald McDonald House Charities, and to make running my first marathon an incredibly meaningful experience by not only running for charity but also running in memory of my friend Tammy.

My Best Run:

The Ringing in Hope 10k back in May was one of those races that I just felt incredibly strong from start to finish.  Very shortly after crossing the start line I had the feeling that I would PR, and that’s exactly what I did.  You couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face because of how proud I was of myself.

Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

My Best New Piece of Running Gear:

I received my Camelbak Hydration Vest last Christmas from my father-in-law.  I logged countless miles wearing it, both during training runs and at races.

Wearing my Camelbak Hydration Vest during the Loudoun Half Marathon back in April
Photo Credit: Ashburn Area Running Club

The Best Running Advice I Received this Year:

“Slow is okay.”  As my marathon training progressed during the hot and humid summer months, my pace started to slow down.  At times it became a bit defeating to know that I do have the ability to run faster, but at the same time I was also increasing my mileage, which naturally means that the pace will slow down.  I definitely cherished those summer days on the treadmill, or when the heat and humidity broke, and I was able to push my pace a bit more.

My Favorite Medal:

My Chicago Marathon medal symbolizes so much for me: hard work, determination, focus, and the ability to accomplish a goal.

My Favorite Picture from a Run or Race this Year:

I’m so happy that I remembered to stop and take a picture at the mile 26 marker in Chicago.  After a tough race, I was so excited to begin my finish line celebration.

Just 0.2 miles away from crossing the finish line of my first marathon

The Race Experience I Would Repeat in a Heartbeat:

Once again, the Chicago Marathon is the winner here.  Shortly after crossing the finish line this year, I knew that I wanted to run the race again.  In a way, I felt “called” to sign up again to run on behalf of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  I’m excited to once again be a part of the team in 2018.  And if you’d like to make one of your last tax-deductible donations for 2017, I’d greatly appreciate you donating to RMHC via my fundraising page.

If You Could Sum Up Your Year in a Couple of Words What Would They Be?

Pushing myself.  This past year was all about pushing myself to run new distances and to reach new goals.  I cannot wait to see what 2018 has in store for me!

QOTD: How was your year of running?  Did you accomplish everything that you wanted to?  What are your big goals for 2018?

This entry was posted in Milestones, Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to 2017: My Year of Running

1. You had a great year Kathryn. You now can add Marathon Finisher for your 2017 year. That is quite the accomplishment and something to be very proud of. Way to push yourself to new limits!

2. Wendy says:

You had a great year of running! It was fun to follow your marathon training and it will be exciting to see how you do this year, now that you’re “experienced”!

3. runeatralph says:

What a great year! It’s also a great idea to recap your year in a post. We runners like to beat ourselves up for things that didn’t go as planned in our minds and I think this is a great way to reflect and realize how much we do well. I might have to borrow the idea for my own 2017. 🙂

4. Katrina says:

What an awesome year! The Chicago Marathon was also my first marathon (I ran in 2015), and thinking about that race still brings a smile to my face!

5. ariscott says:

Congrats on a great year! I too am trying to tell myself “slow is okay.” Sometimes I feel like EVERY run needs to be faster than the last, which obviously is not true. My big goal for 2018 is to run my first marathon! I am planning on doing the NYC Marathon in November (raising money for charity which means I’ll definitely get in!).

6. What a great year you’ve had! Mine would be around struggling through injuries which is rather sad. Hopefully 2018 will be much better!

7. You definitely had a stellar year! Running a marathon is such an incredible experience, I don’t we’re ever the same after that kind of endeavor 😉

You’ve had a great running year. Lots of hard work that paid off. Good luck with Chicago next year 🙂

9. You really did have an amazing year of running. Loved following your marathon training!

10. tonee78 says:

Love this link up, def gonna join. Sounds like you had one amazing year! I am running Chicago next year and am so excited. I hope 2018 is amazing for you!

11. Rachel says:

You had an AMAZING year. I’m so happy for you. And I’m so glad you had such a wonderful first marathon experience! Here’s to a fantastic 2018!

12. So far, it’s been a great year of running, for me and, it seems, for you! You did some awesome things out there and it looks like you had fun doing it 🙂

In 2018, I think I am ready to push for 1000 miles. I don’t think I’m ready for another marathon anytime soon, but I am ready to branch out and hit a few more states.

13. What a great year you had!!

14. AJ says:

It sounds like you’ve had an amazing year running and have lots to be proud of! My year has seen me speed up and increase how often I run:)

15. Elle says:

Love that you are so happy with your running year and that you accomplished some important goals. Here is to a fantastic 2018 for you!

16. Wow! You definitely had an awesome year, Kathryn. Hope you have an even better 2018! 😉

17. Great job running your first marathon! That is such a great accomplishment and such a great feeling! I definitely got slower when I was training for my first marathon too. At one point on a long run (18 or 20 miles), a guy and his son rode by me on bikes and the kid asked his dad if I was running and the man said “no, she’s just jogging; taking her time jogging” and I wanted to cry LOL

18. Juliana Calhoun says:

what a great year!

19. Thanks for linking up – you had a great year and I’m curious to see how you will handle training for marathon #2 after learning a bit more about marathons during #1! And I love that you are fundraising for RMHC again 🙂

20. jilltopia says:

I ran the Chicago marathon a few years ago and loved it. So glad to hear you did too

21. lameshac says:

Wow! Great year! When I read you ran the Loudoun Half in April I got really excited – I was there and I love the LoCo Challenge…doing it again this year. Keep running, keep smiling, keep posting 💕

22. Joyful Mama says:

I’d say 2017 was a year of facing my fears! I spent most of it fighting for my brand new preemie and facing challenges that forced me to be vulnerable!

23. So glad I came across your blog! I used to be an avid runner running everything from 5k’s to marathons but I fell off. I’m looking to get back into running this year and your blog is so inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

24. 1solarblog says:

This is great motivation! Thanks for sharing!
    mindy@onesolarutah.com

25. Run 380 says:

Great stuff, I’m currently training for the Cowtown Marathon here in North Texas.

26. Great stuff!! I love the design and layout of your blog, awesome posts.

27. eric tugonon says:

Great year of running. Congratulations!

28. gorunhussell says:

Awesome year of racing! I ran 1 race last year, but it was amazing! St George and PRed 10minutes. Races are so expensive!

• gorunhussell says:

And this year I’m hoping to get another PR in the same race and run a second one that will hopefully BQ, but that’ll just be training in 2018, race in 2019 🙂 unless I BQ at the next one! That’d be rad…