Why I Didn’t Reapply for Rock ‘n’ Blog

For the past three years I have been a part of the Rock ‘n’ Blog team with the Rock ‘n’ Roll race series.  My participation as a Rock ‘n’ Blogger has allowed me to participate in various races and connect with other runners both online and in person.  I was also treated to the VIP experience at Virginia Beach in 2015 and Philly in 2016 and 2017.  I’m incredibly thankful for the opportunities that being a Rock ‘n’ Blogger has provided me with.  In addition to the races themselves, I was also connected with various brands, including Eagle Creek and SmartyPants Vitamins.

After crossing the finish line of Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly in 2016

The only thing that I would have changed about my Rock ‘n’ Blog experience would have been being able to travel and participate in even more races.  Unfortunately, my job as a teacher limits my travel abilities during the school year, and there aren’t many races during the summer months.  But even with not being able to participate in more races than I have, I have thoroughly enjoyed my participation as a Rock ‘n’ Blogger for the past three years.

Running through the city of love during the 2017 Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly Half Marathon

Rock ‘n’ Blog applications for 2018 were due last week.  I went back and forth for awhile about whether or not to reapply for next year’s team.  After much debate, I decided to not reapply.  Why?

For one, my 2018 calendar is already filling up, especially for the Spring.  I have an out of town bridal shower the day of Rock ‘n’ Roll DC.  Since I’m running the Chicago Marathon again in 2018, I’ll likely have a 20+ mile run to complete the weekend of Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly.  Although I made this race a part of my 20 miler this year, I’m not sure that I want to do that again next year.  The only other “local” race left is Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach over Labor Day weekend, but I’m not ready for us to commit to traveling over the holiday weekend right now.

Another reason why I didn’t reapply is because my heart just isn’t in it at the moment.  I don’t want to commit to something just because I’ve done it before, and then feel obligated to have to fulfill responsibilities for an ambassadorship.  That makes it feel like work.  I already have a full time job, and don’t need to have more things that feel like “work” on my plate.  And because I’m trying to find a better balance in life in order to better take care of myself and my family, I’m trying to be better about prioritizing and committing to things that I really want to do.

Part of why my heart isn’t in it right now is because there were some changes made to the program over the past year.  The former head of the Rock ‘n’ Blog program has since left the company.  She was an incredible leader, who did a great job of helping to inject enthusiasm into the group, especially on the group Facebook page.  I haven’t connected with the new leader the same way I did with the old leader.  There have been some other changes made to the program, that aren’t necessarily bad, but they didn’t exist when I first applied to the program, and thus weren’t part of what drew me to the program in the first place.  In no way am I putting Rock ‘n’ Blog down, I’m just saying that the program is different than when I first joined it three years ago.

So those are the three main reasons why I didn’t reapply for 2018.  Does stepping away for next year mean that I’ll never consider applying for the team again?  Absolutely not.  But Rock ‘n’ Blog just isn’t the right fit for me for next year.

QOTD: When have you had to make the decision to step away from something that has been a part of your life but you knew that it wouldn’t continue to be a good “fit” for you?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Why I Didn’t Reapply for Rock ‘n’ Blog

I completely understand where you’re coming from! Since having Brayden, I’ve also had to step back from a few of the volunteer opportunities I was a part of. It’s all a part of that work/life/family balance!

2. Are you referring to Ashley who left the team???
    I knew I wasn’t going to be able to commit to all three races either and that’s why I didn’t re-apply. Why not allow someone else the opportunity?
    I did step down from an ambassadorship with a shoe brand a while back because I figured out that the shoes were contributing to an injury. It was hard to step away from all the great people, opportunities, (and free shoes), it provided but sometimes you have to dig deeper and ask yourself if it is a good fit.

Maybe something else will come your way that is a better fit for you at this time in your life.

3. jessieemeric says:

This was my first year and I reapplied. I’m really enjoying it so far, but I totally get where you’re coming from. If your heart isn’t in it anymore, you made the right decision. Best of luck in 2018!

I’ve left two jobs to take better opportunities. I haven’t taken any ambassadorships for my blog because my focus is fun. I think RnR would be fun, but there are only a few with 10k’s, and then traveling would have to fit with my schedule. I work in financial reporting, and we have big quarterly months throughout the whole year.

It’s so important to prioritize! Your decision makes a lot of sense with your schedule and goals to find more balance 🙂

6. You said it perfect…when it becomes more like “work” and less for “fun” (obviously, I’m paraphrasing LOL). I actually applied last week for the Rock’n’Blog. I’m in the middle of (essentially) nowhere in Iowa, but if I can swing a few R’n’R events out of it, I’ll be happy (assuming I even get accepted). That said, my family’s dynamics are quite different that your’s are right now…if I had little ones, I’d not even consider applying (heck, I probably wouldn’t even be running much). I think your priorities are spot-on 😉

7. Rachel says:

I was a Rock N Blogger for one year and couldn’t run any of the races, so I didn’t reapply for the following year. Kind of a bummer, but I totally understand why you didn’t reapply.

8. AJ says:

I sometimes feel like that’s the worst part of being an adult – the decisions you have to make!

9. It’s hard to prioritize all of the races and events and still be able to balance all of the family time! Just wait until you have all the sports and activities

10. It’s very hard prioritizing al the different things in our lives. You will definitely be missed!

11. This was my second year, and though I can’t travel as much as I’d like I did make it to a few of the events. I reapplied.

12. Oh my goodness I know exactly how you feel! I ran a few races and a half marathon in late 2015, then I hurt my knee and got busy and haven’t ran but a handful of times since then. I’ve got to start all over with the conditioning but I’m hoping to continue in 2018. You sound extremely busy already so maybe a tiny break will be good to ya.

13. Steffany R. says:

I couldn’t agree more. After my health issues this year I didn’t have the opportunity to really take advantage of the team. I love that we could meet through the team!

14. Yay! You are now able to focus on the pursuits your heart is really in too. That is good. This is kind of funny to me becauseI used to “work with” the social media coordinator for RnR races about 8 years ago, way before Rock ‘n’ Blog and I think the organization as a whole has been bought and sold a few times. And the same thing happened to me – they switched leadership, changed how they did things, and kind of dropped me. But it was good! It helped me see that my heart wasn’t in it either and I truly wanted to put energies in to other things too. Knowing and embracing that is SO freeing!

15. Mary says:

I’m glad you are finding clarity in your search for balance and know what’s right for you.

16. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

I have never been a part of the Rock ‘N Blog and had thought about looking into it. Thank you for sharing your experience!!

17. Carlee says:

I think we all miss Ashley…

18. Wendy says:

I was on the fence about reapplying but I’m going to give it one more go-around…

19. tonee78 says:

I wanted to apply, but I am not sure I did…..guess I missed out if I didn’t. You have all valid reasons for not applying and maybe in the future you will again. You always have to do what is right for you.

20. Coco says:

You have very good reasons. The program sounds good to me until I take an honest look at my schedule — I just can’t commit to traveling this far out, and no way would we head south on 95 over Labor Day weekend. 😉