Keeping Up with Your Fitness During the Holidays

Believe it or not, the holiday season is upon us.  I’ll be kicking off the holiday season tomorrow by hosting almost 20 people at our house for Friendsgiving.  Then Thanksgiving is next week.  And then before I know it Christmas and New Year’s will also be here.

There’s no denying that this time of the year is one of the busiest periods of the entire calendar year.  There’s a flurry of activity as we each try to spend time with friends and family.  But just because you’re busy doesn’t mean that you can afford to let fitness go to the wayside.  Although you may not have the time to workout for as long as you’d like to, its still important to stay active for both your physical and mental health during what can be a very stressful time of the year.

So what can you do to help make sure that continuing to exercise remains a part of your schedule during the busy holiday season?

1.  Schedule your workouts and pencil them into your calendar.  You’re more likely to exercise if you plan ahead when you’ll work out.  Even if holiday activities require you to modify your normal exercise routine and schedule, planning time for your workouts in advance will help ensure that you’re still able to get your sweat on.

2.  Recognize that any working out is better than none at all.  With a lot of extra activity going on, it might be difficult to keep up with your regular exercise schedule.  However, a shorter than usual workout is better than not being able to workout altogether.  And getting your body and mind will thank you for stepping away from the flurry of activity to focus on yourself for a short period of time.

3.  Find like minded people to help support you, and help support them.  Whether its an online challenge group or a friend of family member, there is always strength in numbers.  Finding at least one person to help hold you accountable will increase the likelihood that you’ll keep up with your workouts.

4.  If you usually work out in the afternoon and/or evening try to shift some of your workouts to the morning.  Because of work, I fall into this category, however, I also recognize that the majority of holiday events occur in the afternoons and/or evenings.  On those days, I plan to get my workout in in the morning, and then I won’t have to worry about remembering to make time for it later in the day.

5.  Don’t be too hard on yourself if you miss a workout.  Its bound to happen at this time of the year.  Missing a workout here and there isn’t the end of the world, and isn’t going to have a huge impact on your health overall.  Just make it a priority to not miss multiple workouts in a row.

QOTD: What tips do you have for keeping up with your fitness during the holidays?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

Looking for some more tips for staying active and healthy during the holidays?  Check out some of my previous posts for more ideas and suggestions.

Tips for Staying Motivated During the Holidays
Tips for Staying Healthy During the Holidays
Tips for Staying On Track During the Holidays

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Keeping Up with Your Fitness During the Holidays

1. I have a hard time not being hard on my myself! Friendsgiving sounds fun I keep saying I want to do it but never have. Enjoy

2. Great list ! I joined a challenge last Christmas that had us running the distance of a marathon over 7-10 days. It was fun and got me moving.

3. Clarinda says:

#2 is my favorite. Sometimes it’s easy to say, if I can’t do the whole thing, then why bother, but anything is better than nothing. 🙂

4. Marcia says:

The gym is always super empty this time of year so I like to take advantage of that.

5. AJ says:

I set myself a challenge for the holidays and then set a reward if I make it. It’s like earning my gift:)

Anything is better than nothing. I have fun with my workouts too because I can get my holiday playlists out while I run or lift. I can still be in the holiday mood.

7. The best thing that has worked for me is committing to 20 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning. Usually, it’s a simple power walk through my neighborhood (there are plenty of hills!), but once it’s done, I’m good. Some days, those 20 minutes are all that happen; other days there’s a strength session in the evening or a stair workout or a short run (if the run didn’t happen in the early hours).

8. Rachel says:

My bestie and I have been talking about Friendsgiving for years and we’ve still never made it happen. I hope you have so much fun!!

9. Coco says:

Since I workout in the morning and don’t plan on traveling, I should be able to keep up with my routine as long as I don’t get sick!

10. Wendy says:

I just try to stick to my regular schedule!

11. The main thing that works for me is to just stick to my usual workout schedule. I work out in the early mornings. One advantage of that is that it doesn’t matter what else comes up during the day, my workout is done!

12. Luckily we have a pretty decent home gym, so I really don’t have any excuses not to work out throughout the year, even when the weather is bad.

13. Hope your Friendsgiving went well!

14. agsignor says:

Great tips. While working out over the holidays is great, I take a more “maintenance” approach to cut myself some slack and not stress myself out. Friends, family, and food are my priority this time of year.

15. l242k says:

I find allowing myself some flexibility works well, especially for the busiest social season. Hope you enjoyed your Friendsgiving – never heard of the term until now, guessing it’s because I’m not American…? 🙂

16. I’ve found that since I started a new job back in January, and switched my workouts to ungodly hours of the morning, I’m much more consistent. It totally stinks to have the alarm going off between 4:30-4:45 a.m., but at least the workouts are getting done. It leaves plenty of time for after work obligations. Even if I am falling asleep at 8pm!

Great tips, Kathryn! Working out during the holiday season can be tough but a marathon the first weekend of January is definitely motivation!

18. I need to get better about working out period. I love the way I feel afterwards plus the swear cleanses so to speak. That probably sounds gross, hah sorry. I can’t believe thanksgiving is days away! Happy thanksgiving from my fam to yours.

19. This is the first year I’ve ever had any thoughts about fitness during the holidays. Thanksgiving day was hectic, and I didn’t get my walk in, but I made sure to walk the day after. ‘Womanly Woes’, followed by a case of the sniffles slowed me down, but didn’t put me down for the count, and I’m sticking with my routine! I’ve lost ~50lbs, and gave away my ‘fat’ jeans this time. No plan B! 🙂 And no stretchy pants unless I’m working out!

Thanks for the reminder to stay vigilant!

Namaste