November 2017 Goals

I’ll be honest, I completely forgot about most of my October goals about halfway through the month.  As I sat down last night to write this post, and pulled up my October goals, I could barely remember writing them.  That just tells you how crazy, stressful, and busy the month of October was.

1.  Log at least 75 miles.

Grade: A

My October mileage total was 72.7 miles.  I hate seeing just how close I was to fully reaching my goal, but I also keep reminding myself that I cut way back on exercising after the marathon and just in the past two weeks have started ramping my exercise back up.

My October miles brought my 2017 mileage total to 985.2 miles.  That means I am just 14.8 miles away from reaching my initial 1,000 mile goal for 2017!  However, you may recall that in early October I increased my 2017 goal to 1,150 miles, which means that I have a very manageable 164.8 miles to log in order to reach my updated goal for the year.  I’m confident that I can do it.

2.  Run my first marathon.

Grade: A

I ran Chicago, crossed the finish line, and officially became a marathoner!

3.  Foam roll, foam roll, foam roll.

Grade: C

Although I did some foam rolling, I should have done more than I did.  Foam rolling is one of those necessary evils, and even though my foam roller is in my bedroom and is very easily accessible, I need to be better about doing it more often.

4.  Listen to my body.

Grade: A

I think I’ve done a really good job of listening to my body post marathon.  After taking a week off from exercising after Chicago, I have been slowly easing back into a fitness routine.  I’ve only run three times since the race (once per week), and have been enjoying being able to dedicate more time and energy to cross and strength training.

5.  Don’t push myself too hard.

Grade: A

Even if I had wanted to do more exercise than I have over the past three weeks, work stress and things at home have dictated otherwise.  So while I have been physically resting, my brain has been going nonstop.

Now that I have recovered from the Chicago Marathon, I’m working on getting back into a regular fitness routine again.  Although I’m not currently running 3+ times per week, I am trying to exercise at least 4-5 days per week.  With only two months left in 2017, I’m very ambitious about finishing the year out just as strongly as I started it.

1.  Log at least 80 miles.

This is just under half of the miles that I need to log into order to reach 1,150 miles for the year.  I know that with hard work, focus, and determination that I can do it, even with having cut back on running.

2.  Run at least two times per week.

Since the marathon I have only been running once per week, but with the Princess Half Marathon coming up in February I need to start running more miles than I currently am.  I will be running this race purely for fun, and still am not sure when I will officially start “training” for it, but until that happens I do want to make sure that I maintain a strong running base.

3.  Strength train at least two times per week.

Now that I am not training for a major race, part of my fitness shift has been on spending more time on strength training.  This was one of the things that I failed to keep up with during marathon training, particularly at the end, and I know how incredibly important it is, especially for helping to prevent injury.

4.  Find a work-life balance.

Between meetings, professional development, and end of the quarter craziness, work has just been nuts for the past two weeks, and at times it feels like it has taken over my life.  Yesterday I made a point of pointing my work down and spending an hour at the gym to take a mental and physical break from the stress.  I know how important it is to try and find a balance with everything, and I need to make this a priority this month.

5.  Enjoy the month’s social activities.

As part of finding a work-life balance I need to make sure that I take the time to enjoy the social activities that we have planned for the month.  I am especially looking forward to hosting Friendsgiving this year.  Its going to take a lot of time, work, and energy to get ready for it, but I cannot wait to enjoy an afternoon and evening with friends celebrating all that we have to be thankful for.

QOTD: What are your goals for November?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to November 2017 Goals

Great job on those October goals! Foam rolling is one of those things that sounds like it should be so easy but I struggle getting it in too.

2. kookyrunner says:

Great job on your October goals and I love your November goals! I’ve been very lax on my foam rolling ever since the marathon so I definitely need to get back to doing that regularly!

3. AJ says:

Enjoy friendsgiving! I find the work life balance the most difficult to achieve myself. Some days I’m good and then I regress into too much working:(

4. Great job on taking recovering seriously it will help a ton!

5. I love that work-life balance goal for November! I’m in the same boat – lots of work, professional development but I keep having to remember health/fitness comes first! Well done on a brilliant October… with your first marathon on top of that!

6. Hey, if the only goal you actually DID meet was running your first marathon, that would be fantastic. Getting everything else done? Spectacular. Congrats on a great month!

7. Great job with October! Marathoner! WOOT WOOT!

8. I am so bad at foam rolling too even though it stays out in my living room. You deserve a break from training mode after completing your marathon. I have no doubt that you will hit your mileage goals by the end of the year.

October was stressful for me, and I’m trying to contain it. I think it’s also an excited stress with my race in Vegas. My two goals is to get the stress in line, and enjoy my trip. After that, I’m taking a couple weeks off to recover.

10. Foam rolling is SUCH a tough necessity to do….I’m always in a hurry to get cleaned up and on to other things (after a run), that the foam rolling is never as thorough as it should be (that’s if it happens at all LOL).

11. Rachel says:

I have zero goals for November and I am totally okay with that. 🙂 I’m glad you had a great October!

12. I never set mileage goals (I have Rachel for that). But seriously, it doesn’t matter to me at all how many miles I run — as long as I train properly for whatever I’m training for.

Friendsgiving is fun! I did it when we lived in TX a couple of times. Now I host it for my family, which is admittedly small, but I do pretty much everything. Good thing I don’t work — cause it’s still a lot of work and stressful even without working!

You ran a marathon.That’s pretty darn awesome!

13. Wendy says:

Great goals and that work/life balance is something that I’m really struggling with right now. No fault of my own–if you read my post, you understand that my job is demanding more from me that I want to give. Not sure how this is going to all work out.

14. I would like to do foam rolling more regularly, too. I’m not sure why I haven’t gotten in the daily habit with it…it’s not that hard or time consuming and does help you feel better.

15. Marian says:

Hi, I am reading this a couple of days later, but for the QOTD: In an hour I’m heading out to complete my big November goal of finishing my first Spartan Beast (1/2 marathon of obstacles). When I do, I will also meet one of my big athletic goals for the year, which is to become part of the Spartan Trifecta Tribe! BTW, all of your post marathon goals are smart, especially the cross training. Lots of new distance runners underestimate the importance until they get hurt.

16. Work/life balance is hard. I struggle with it as well. I also want to be able to do more things outside of work but many times find myself exhausted and just wanting to go home.

17. Congratulations on that marathon, girl! I am so proud!

You did great with your goals! And you will find that balance. To be honest, I feel like it’s more of an ebb and flow. Sometimes you will have time for yourself and your personal life, and sometimes it will feel like there’s never any time for anything but work and obligations. I’m in that cycle right now, so it’s just a matter of putting my head down and pushing through to the good stuff: my family and my life. You’ve got this!

18. Toni says:

Sounds like a great month and your upcoming goals are awesome. I have finally made foam rolling my best friend! I do it daily!!!

Friendsgiving! How fun is that!! Congrats on a great October. I know you’ll make your new goal with increased mileage for the year!

20. You definitely had an awesome October. I hope that your November goals are also as successful! How often do you use a foam roller and it is beneficial for you, Kathryn?

21. Katrina says:

I just recently got a new foam roller. The one I had was pretty old and made out of just foam. This new one is made out of hard plastic (with some padding on the outside) and WOW what a world of difference! I don’t think I’ll skip out on foam rolling again! 🙂

22. Pingback: Finding a Healthy Life Balance | From Dancing to Running