Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 18

Well I did it, I ran my first marathon!!!!!  I cannot wait to fully recap my entire race weekend experience.  Like I shared on social media on Monday, the race went far how I had hoped that it would.  I trained to be able to run a much faster race than I did, but factors out of my control made it difficult to maintain the pace that I had trained to run.  The important thing is that I did not give up and that I crossed the finished line, and can officially call myself a marathoner!

During the week leading up to the race I tried to find that delicate balance between staying active and letting my body rest up for the big race.

Monday, October 2nd

I completed my last 5 mile training run by testing out some of my race day essentials, including a brand new pair of running sunglasses (my old pair was badly scratched and desperately needed to be replaced), as well as the visor that I wore during the race.

Last Monday evening’s run was all about testing out some of my race day essentials

Tuesday, October 3rd

I took full advantage of taper time and spent some time at the playground with little man.  Chasing him around the playground counts as cross training, right?

Wednesday, October 4th

After work I headed to the gym for cross and strength training.  I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by 30 minutes of full body weight training.

Thursday, October 5th

Thursday was an incredibly busy day.  Before I left school I had to ensure that my sub plans were ready for Friday.  Once I got home I headed out for my last training run.  Since I still needed to pack and was tight on time, I only ran 4 out of my 5 planned miles.  After completing my run I felt strong and more than ready to take on the streets of Chicago.

I felt great after finishing my last marathon training run.

Friday, October 6th

Before getting on the plane, I headed to the chiropractor for one last adjustment before the race.  After arriving in Chicago I immediately headed to the expo, and afterwards had a very enjoyable dinner with my family.

Saturday, October 7th

I spent Saturday morning keeping busy chasing after little man at a playground.  I then took an over two hour nap while he napped.  I cannot remember the last time that I napped for that long, but it was a great way to relax and rest up for the big race.

Sunday, October 8th

Sunday was race day.  According to my Garmin I ran 26.98 miles in 5:13:27.  I’m excited to share the full story about my experience, not only running the race itself but also pre and post race with Team RMHC, the charity that I ran with.

I’m a marathoner!!!!!

Total Weekly Mileage – 39.19 miles (17.53 miles more than week 17)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 507.91 miles

I have so many thoughts and pictures that I want to share with all of you, and am planning on dividing my recap of Chicago Marathon weekend into multiple posts.  Although I still have two other races from September to recap, I want to jump ahead and start writing about all of my experiences from Chicago first.  Stay tuned!

QOTD: For those who also ran Chicago, how did your race go?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 18

1. Congratulations on the marathon!! You must be so happy 😊 can’t wait to read your recap!

2. Angela says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can’t wait to read the full recap!

3. irunelite says:

Congrats girl! Huge accomplishment! 🙂

4. Congratulations, marathoner! Sounds like a great week and I look forward to your race recap!

5. Congratulations marathoner!!! What an amazing accomplishment. Can’t wait to hear all about it!

6. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Looking forward to your recap. The goal of any first marathon should just be to finish, and you did it! WTG. 😀

7. Congratulations again! I can’t wait to hear all the details about the race

Congrats on finishing your first full! I look forward to the recap 🙂 I think everyone I’ve seen write about the Chicago Marathon this year struggled with the heat. Way to push through!

9. Congratulations on your accomplishment! I personally cannot imagine running a full marathon and am in awe of all that do, you should be so proud of yourself!

10. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Welcome to the marathoner club! You did great, I can’t wait to hear all the details!

Big congrats! No matter what, you are a marathoner.

12. Congratulations–I am so excited for you! I ran my 5th consecutive Chicago this year (still the only marathon I’ve ever done), and while I also came in much slower than planned, I had a fantastic weekend experience! I will be running the Marine Corps Marathon on October 22nd. It is supposed to be a phenomenal experience as well. I will likely walk most of the way just taking in the experience. I can’t wait to read your recaps!

13. Lourenza says:

CONGRATULATIONS MARATHONER. I didn’t beat my time due to the conditions of the race either, but I am so glad I ran Chicago and I will be back.

14. So cool you ran Chicago!!!! Congrats 🙂 🙂

15. dawnwairimu says:

aw congratulations! this is amazing 🙂 so inspirational

16. AJ says:

Congratulations marathoner!!! You did it! Are you hooked and want to do another one?

17. Way to go! I’m looking forward to reading your recaps 🙂 Your first marathon is a HUGE learning experience (or at least it was for me), so regardless of how the race went compared to how you expected the race to go, I hope you’re very, very proud of yourself and your awesome accomplishment!

18. Congrats!! Doesn’t it feel great to know that YOU did it?

19. Look at you marathoner! Yes, say it with me, Marathoner !!!! Congratulations to you! I’ve read so many had bad races, it was hot it was humid but in the end, it is about finishing and that is what you did!

20. Marian says:

The first marathon is huge, congratulations and looking forward to the recap!

21. agsignor says:

So so awesome. Can’t wait to read the full recap. I hope you’re still celebrating all of your hard work.

22. l242k says:

Congratulations! You’re now a marathoner 😊

23. HoHo Runs says:

Congratulations, Marathoner! Funny — I fell asleep last year on Saturday afternoon before the race too! I never nap. Never. I can’t wait to read the details of your first marathon. Thanks for linking!

24. Rachel says:

Congratulations!! You’re officially a marathoner!! Woohoo!!!!!! Can’t wait to read the recap(s)!

25. Congratulations! I can’t wait to read the full race report!