It’s Chicago Marathon Weekend!!!

Almost a year after signing up with Team RMHC, as well as 18 weeks of training, Chicago Marathon weekend is finally here!  I have so many emotions going into this weekend, but overall I’m excited about heading to Chicago, seeing family and friends, and most importantly running my first marathon.

I will be running the race on Sunday with my friend Kathleen (this will be her second time running Chicago).  For almost a year now we’ve been planning on running the race together.  Our pace is almost identical and we both trained using 4:1 intervals on our long runs.  I am incredibly thankful to have had a virtual training partner throughout this journey, and I cannot wait for us to take our victory lap together on Sunday.

The last race that we ran together was the Shamrock 8k back in March 2015

The weather for Sunday’s race is looking like it’ll be sunny and warm.  As of this morning, the forecast is calling for the temperature to be in the low to mid 60s at the start of the race and the high 70s when we cross the finish line.  Its certainly warmer than the ideal marathon weather conditions, but as long as the humidity stays on the lower side then I should be okay.  I did plenty of training over the summer in the heat, but it was always the humidity that slowed me way down.  Fingers crossed that the humidity stays in check!

Other than having fun, I have three goals for Sunday’s race:

1.  Keep up with Kathleen
2.  Don’t give up mentally
3.  Keep running

Kathleen’s goal since the start of training has been to finish in less than 5 hours.  As long as there is a 4 at the front of her finish time she will be happy.  We have both trained to be able to run a sub-5 hour marathon.  We have discussed that if I start to struggle in the last miles that she will go ahead of me and meet me at the finish line, but hopefully with the crowd support, her tough love, and my determination we’ll cross the finish line together.  My other two goals are to not give up mentally (I really really really hope that I don’t hit the dreaded “wall”), and to keep running, even if in the later miles I have to reduce my running intervals and increase my walking intervals.

We head to Chicago today, and as long as our flight is on time I will be at the expo by mid-afternoon.  I know that there are a ton of other bloggers and readers also running Chicago on Sunday, so hopefully I’ll be able to say hi to at least a few people.  I’ll be taking tons of pictures, so be sure to follow along on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.  I also have my own hashtag for the weekend, #KathrynRunsChicago.

And who doesn’t need a little inspiration while running a marathon?  The Chicago Marathon will have large screens set up in the Bank of America Cheer Zones at miles 13 and 26.  You can click here to submit an inspirational message that I will hopefully see on the course.  I’ll definitely need some inspiration to help get me through the second half of the race.

Thanks for everybody’s support throughout this entire journey.  I am incredibly grateful for all of the encouragement that so many people have provided from the time that I started discussing the possibility of running my first marathon.  I look forward to catching up with everybody after the race!

QOTD: Who else is running the Chicago Marathon this weekend?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to It’s Chicago Marathon Weekend!!!

1. Good luck Kathryn!! Very excited for you. Such a pleasure to have followed your journey, can’t wait to read about you seeing it all through. You’ll be in my thoughts!! Have a blast, and happy, strong 💪🏽 running!! x

2. So excited for you. Have your mantras ready for when it gets tough (because it’s a marathon – it WILL get tough) and let the crowds carry you on. I’ll be cheering you on Sunday!

3. Angela says:

Good Luck! I’ve loved following your journey and can’t wait to read about you reaching your goals .. here’s a little pre- race read..

4. briannavoss says:

My husband is running too, so I’ll be there. Good luck!

5. Coco says:

How awesome to have a friend to run with! I bet you cross the finish line smiling together!!

6. AJ says:

Congrats Kathryn! I think you should be incredibly proud of yourself no matter what happens this Sunday, though I just know you’re going to do great😀

7. SO excited for you!! Have an amazing race! 🙂

8. ariscott says:

Good luck! I hope to run a marathon myself one day. I’ll be lucky if I break 5 hours. 🙂

Good luck! You’ve put in the hard work and now is the fun part.

10. GAH!!!! HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!! YOU’RE GOING TO KILL IT!

11. Good luck this weekend!!! I can’t wait to hear all about how it goes for you! 🙂

12. yay!!!! It’s almost Go Time!! Best of luck!

13. So excited for you! You’ve done an awesome job with training, you’ve got this!

14. It’s been really great and fun to watch all of your training this year. Good luck to you and have a fabulous time

15. Marcia says:

WooHoo! Chicago was my first marathon 10 years ago! I’ll be at mile 13 on the right cheering for you in my blue Boston jacket. Have a great race. You so have this one!

16. Rachel says:

YOU are gonna rock it, girl!!! Have so much fun! Can’t wait to read the recap!!!!

17. Very exciting! Have so much fun! If the weather is really warm, then definitely be careful, stay hydrated and pace yourself, and you will do great. Staying safe and having fun is most important! I love Chicago and am very jealous 🙂

18. kookyrunner says:

I have no doubt that you will run a sub 5! I agree – as long as the humidity stays on the lower side, I think the way will be somewhat enjoyable

19. hithaishy says:

Best of Luck!!!! Have a fabulous run….

20. Marian says:

Very exciting, at least with a high in the 70s you can expect the show to go on! Have a great run tomorrow and enjoy what awaits you at the finish line!

21. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I can’t wait to hear how the race went for you, your smile said it all! Congratulations!

22. I hope you had a fantastic weekend! Can’t wait to read your recap. This was my 5th consecutive. I finished slower than I hoped, but I finished!!! Congrats on your first!

23. Pingback: 2017 Chicago Marathon Recap | From Dancing to Running

24. Pingback: What I Learned from Training for and Running My First Marathon | From Dancing to Running