Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 17

On October 8th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

I cannot believe that race week is here!  One week from today I will be able to call myself a marathoner!  The past 17 weeks have just flown by, and I’m sure the last couple of days before we head to Chicago will go by just as fast, especially since I have a lot on the agenda for this week, including a couple of chiropractor appointments, packing for race weekend, and writing sub plans for Friday.

I cannot believe that the marathon is less than a week away!

Despite it being taper time, this past week was another active one, though it was nice to have more time to spend with my little family than I’ve had in recent weeks.

Monday, September 25th

Given that I ran three races last weekend, and the bulk of the mileage was on Sunday, I more than earned Monday’s rest day.

Tuesday, September 26th

Summer’s last hurrah (or what I’m going to assume was our last day of intense heat and humidity), pushed me to the gym to complete my run.  I thought that running in the air conditioning would feel good, except it was so stuffy in the gym and it didn’t feel like the air conditioning was turned up very high.  This resulted in five very sweaty miles, and I left feeling like I would have struggled just as much had I run outside.

Feeling gross after that five mile run

Wednesday, September 27th

After work I headed back to the gym where I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes doing full body weight training.

Thursday, September 28th

The weather was night and day from what it had been on Tuesday, and the cooler air felt wonderful during my run.  In fact, I was able to push myself to run a tad faster than I have been able to recently, thanks to the much nicer weather.  It was a nice little confidence boost with the race right around the corner.

Feeling great after being able to run a tad faster than I have been able to recently, thanks to fall finally arriving.

Friday, September 29th

I ran a ton of errands after work, so even though it was a rest day I spent a ton of time on my feet walking around.

Saturday, September 30th

My last long run before Chicago was a hard one.  Between the 20+ mph wind and running with a fussy toddler, I wound up doing a lot more walking than I would have liked during an 8 mile run.  The run was it was, and the important thing is that I got the miles in, even if some of them were very slow going.

Its a good thing that he’s cute because him being fussy is part of what made my run difficult.

Sunday, October 1st

Another busy days of errands and chores kept me on my feet, even if I wasn’t “working out.”

Total Weekly Mileage – 21.66 miles (7.92 miles less than week 16)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 468.72 miles

QOTD: What last minute advice do you have for me going into race weekend?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 17

1. Great week! Don’t let the taper crazies get you too much this week. Since you’re traveling to the race, I say pack to be prepared for everything weather-wise. Other than that, just enjoy your race! You’ll never again get your first marathon 🙂

2. Great week! I love taper time 😊 good luck with the marathon this week, I’m sure it’ll be amazing!!

3. My last advice is that you have completed the hard part already trust that and go get it! Can’t wait to hear all about it

4. kookyrunner says:

Woohoo it’s race week! I’m so excited for us 🙂

5. What a great week! My only advice is to try to relax and enjoy the experience. You’ve done the training, so trust in that. And remember, finishing IS winning! Be grateful for the finish, regardless of your time. When all is said and done, you’ve done a marathon!!!

6. AJ says:

Good job this week! My advice would be to follow your taper plan so you’re fresh for the race! You’ll do great!!!

7. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

So excited that your race is almost here, I can’t wait to hear how it goes! You will do amazing, you’ve worked hard and you’re ready. Enjoy the ride, I hear Chicago has the best spectators!

I can’t believe it’s so close! It seems like the Summer has flown by. I hope the rest of the week goes well and I look forward to following along 🙂

9. Great week! You’ve worked your butt off!! I’m so excited for you this weekend – hope you have a blast!

Aaah! I can’t believe race weekend is almost here! So excited to follow along with your race journey!

11. Marcia says:

I’m so excited for you and RACE WEEK! Run your tangents, take water from the left side and not the first table cuz it’s crazy crowded and remember I’ll be cheering at mile 13 on the right side!

I remember I didn’t have any time goals for my first half. I just wanted to soak it all in and enjoy the experience. Good luck this week!

13. Yay race week! The two things that really tripped me up during my first marathon: spending the first half of the week in a near-constant state of panic over what would happen with the weather, and assuming everything would go fine because none of my long runs, including my 20 miler, had indicated otherwise. Seriously, I know it’s hard, but don’t spend all of your mental energy worrying about the weather. None of us can do anything about it anyway, and if it’s hot, the race will provide appropriate accommodations (it got up to 79 when I ran in 2015. They had sponges for us at miles 9/10ish and 20ish and there were various “misting stations” (usually a hose or open fire hydrant) along the way as well.). I really didn’t think I’d have any issues during my first marathon, but I most certainly did. I hit the wall at mile 14, and the thing that absolutely killed me was not thinking about what I’d do if things started to go poorly for me. Have a plan for what to do if things don’t go how you want/expect them to, and it’ll make the day go a lot better if you need to start using that plan. Good luck on Sunday!

14. I wanted to tell you good luck Sunday, I can’t wait to hear how your first marathon experience goes! You don’t need any advice, you’ve trained well, so go enjoy it and all the experiences around the event and especially your race!!

15. Congrats…you’re almost there! Be sure to take in all the sights, sounds, and smells (LOL)…take it ALL in because you’ll never get to run your first marathon ever again 😉

16. Great job! Hope you have a great race in Chicago! Loved that race last year!

17. Good luck to you! The last 6 can completely be killers, but just trust yourself and you can do it. Seriously, if you feel like you need to change your strategy, do it, just get those last 6 done! You go this!

18. thefauxrunner says:

Good Luck at Chicago!! You’ve done the work now believe in yourself and you’ll dance across the finish lines!

19. Rachel says:

Happy race week, Kathryn!!! You’re going to kick asphalt, girl!!!

20. Lea says:

good luck! all the hard work is done, now all you have to do is kick butt on the course!

21. agsignor says:

Woohoo!! Good luck this weekend! You’ve worked so hard, I hope the race goes well!

22. I’m so excited for you! You’ve done plenty of halves so think of this as just two halves. You got this Kathryn!

23. Wendy says:

I’m so excited for you! My favorite race of all time. I hope you love it as much as me! Good luck!

24. Yay for race week! Try to relax and enjoy it. You’ve done the hard work – soon it will be time to take your 26.2-mile victory lap 😉

25. Only a few more sleeps, you got this girl!!! Enjoy the races, I’ll be thinking about you.

26. Coco says:

Yay! You are so ready. My only advice is to enjoy the whole experience as much as you can!

27. Lourenza says:

It’s race week lady. As everyone else said you done the hard work . Enjoy your race. See you at the finish line Marathoner

28. I can hardly believe it is race weekend for you! I remember when I got finished with mine I just wanted to leave and get some food. Take your time, soak it all in. I got emotional about 2 miles out but as soon as I crossed the finish I was like lets go! That I regret! Don’t be like me!

29. JUst enjoy it!!! Take it all in, your first is amazing. I cried at the end of mine, it was overwheliming and amazing. Good luck!

30. firststrength says:

Just Enjoy It! You put in the work. Good luck and make sure to take some rest after the big event! Your body will thank you.

31. HoHo Runs says:

You will only have one first marathon. Trust in your training, don’t worry about pace but instead just enjoy every freaking step! The last miles will be the toughest thing you’ve ever done — but leave you feeling the most rewarded. Relish the happy tears at the end! Good luck! Thanks for linking.