October 2017 Goals

I have always had a love/hate relationship with the month of September.  Its always an exciting month as the new school year gets underway and my family transitions back into a “normal” routine.  However, with summer being my favorite season of the entire year I am sad to see the days become shorter and the temperatures start to cool off.  Although the days have been becoming slightly shorter, it still feels like summer outside right now, which I am quite happy about.  The only reason I would like to see it start to cool off is because of the positive impact it would have on my running.

As usual, this past month was quite busy, which helped with reaching some of my monthly goals and made it difficult to 100% reach others.

1.  Log at least 135 miles.

Grade: A

As of today, my current mileage total for September is 127 miles, and I have an 8 mile training run on the calendar for tomorrow, which means I should have no problem reaching my goal.  Yay!

I am also incredibly excited about the milestone that I reached yesterday with my 2017 total mileage.  Last night’s run brought my 2017 mileage to 904.1 miles.  My goal for the year is 1,000 miles.  There is no doubt in my mind that I will log 95.9 miles between now and December 31st.  In fact, I’m pretty confident that I’ll log much more than it.  Its so exciting to know that I’ll reach one of my 2017 goals well before the end of the year.

2.  Strength train at least two times per week.

Grade: B

Most weeks I met this goal, but I really wish that I had made this a higher priority this past month.  It shouldn’t be an excuse since strength training is important, but too many other things took my focus away from strength training.

3.  Foam roll and stretch consistently.

Grade: B-

Although I did stretch after every run I only focused on foam rolling when my legs were sore and needed to be rolled.  I wish that I had been better about foam rolling regularly.  I really hope that I don’t pay for this decision on race day.

4.  Be more on top of my blogging.

Grade: B

Although I did better with my blogging in September than I did in August, I still missed writing two of my planned posts.  I also didn’t comment on nearly as many other blogs as I would have liked.  But at least my September blogging was better than my August blogging was.

October is going to be quite an exciting and interesting month for me.  The highlight will be running my first marathon.  I am very uncertain at this point how the rest of the month will look when it comes to my fitness.  I plan to take some time off from running after the big race to let my body recover, but I don’t know how much time yet.  I’ll be playing things by ear a lot in October, which means that my monthly goals look quite different for this month than they usually do.

1.  Log at least 75 miles.

Between now and when I cross the finish line of the Chicago Marathon next Sunday, I’ll log at least 36.2 miles.  Although I have no idea how much running I’ll be doing during the rest of the month, I do want to keep moving, whether it be walking or spending time on the elliptical.

2.  Run my first marathon.

This should be of no surprise, given that my focus over the past several months has been on training for Chicago.  I’ll share my specific goals for the race next week.

3.  Foam roll, foam roll, foam roll.

Foam rolling is going to be crucial, especially in the days leading up to and the days just after Chicago.

4.  Listen to my body.

After crossing the finish line, its going to be imperative that I listen to my body.  The last thing that I need to do is try and convince myself that I need to resume running and other physical activities too quickly after running my first marathon.

5.  Don’t push myself too hard.

Much of the rest of October after the race will be focused on recovery, and just like it’ll be critical that I listen to my body, I also need to make sure that I don’t resume fitness activities too quickly or at too much of an intensity.

QOTD: What are your goals for October?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to October 2017 Goals

1. kookyrunner says:

As usual, you did a great job on your September goals! Can you believe that we’ll be on a plane to Chicago this time next week?! Craziness!!

2. I would love to run Chicago someday. Have a WONDERFUL TIME!!! 🙂

3. That’s a lot of miles run this month! I also keep saying every month that I need to be better about stretching

4. Great job on achieving your September goals! I can’t wait to read about your first full marathon experience. Chicago is the perfect place to do it!

5. Rachel says:

So excited for you — your first marathon!! What an experience it will be. 🙂 And I’m mourning the loss of summer, too…

6. AJ says:

Thank haven’t made any yet but thank you for putting the idea of October goals into my head so I will start thinking!

7. Michelle says:

I haven’t made fitness goals for the month…that’s a good idea though, I should do that! I have goals and lists for everything else it seems. Good luck and have a blast in Chicago!!

8. irunelite says:

Great job with your goals! I too don’t foam roll and stretch nearly as much as I should.
    I haven’t thought through my October goals yet but I this post is a great reminder for me! Good luck with your marathon!

9. Elle says:

Terrific month for you! I hope you have a wonderful time in Chicago!

10. So excited for you to run Chicago! It’ll be Here before you know it. You have logged alot of miles so far this year! Great job!

11. I need a strong November with runs of 15, 20, and 15 planned before my marathon on November 4th. I want October to be my strongest month of running this year!

12. I usually take a full week off exercise and a full month off running after a marathon. Taking a full month off running is probably a bit excessive (this year I have another race a month after Chicago, so I definitely won’t be doing that this time around!), but I always figured better safe than sorry. I love taking that full week off of exercise after the race, though. It’s nice to have so much free time after spending four and a half months where so much of your free time goes to training!

13. Nice job with your September goals! I haven’t set any goals for October, but I do know I want to log more miles. Can’t believe Chicago’s just a week away – how exciting!

14. Lourenza says:

You have done great in my opinion as to your goals. I myself was very slack in strenghtening and cross training, that is has set me back a bit on my pace in training, but I am going to run , walk, and crawl to that finish line next week. Good Luck in Chicago.

15. Yes, I’m also wanting summer to stick around a bit longer…..Good luck in Chicago 😉

16. GAHHH! I’m so excited for you!

My blogging has suffered too – that was actually one of my runfessions. Writing is one of my favorite things, so it’s hard when I can’t do it as often as I prefer.

This is it! It’s happening! I can’t wait to hear how it goes!

17. Wendy says:

Such a strong month! You are going to crush Chicago!

18. Coco says:

So, so excited for you! Chicago will be fantastic!!

19. Great job with your goals. You are rocking your milage! I haven’t set any goals for October yet but I still have today to figure them out. September did not go as planned which really sucked. HI ping October is better for me.

20. The marathon is so close!!! Very exciting!!

21. ariscott says:

I love the idea of setting monthly goals! I’m inspired to do this from now on. 🙂

It’s so exciting that Chicago is almost here! I’ll still be training this month, unless RnR cancels Vegas. I have a 5-mile run on schedule this weekend, and then 6 miles two weeks after that.

23. Pingback: November 2017 Goals | From Dancing to Running