Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 15

On October 8th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Spoiler alert: I completed my 20 mile training run and am now in taper mode!!!!!!  I cannot believe that I am only three weeks away from the big race.  This training cycle has just flown by, and before I know it we’ll be packing up to head to Chicago for the marathon.

This past week was another busy one.  Little man was sick, and I suffered through a migraine, both of which impacted my training.  But I was determined to get all of my miles in, no matter what it took.  My strength training did take a back seat again, even after declaring last week that I needed to make it a higher priority.  Hopefully now that I’m in taper mode it’ll be easier to fit it into my busy schedule.

Monday, September 11th

I was determined to have a good training week, and I kicked off the week with a strong 5 mile run.  It was the first time in a couple of weeks that I have seen my average pace for a run below 10 minutes per mile.  The heat and humidity, along with marathon training, has certainly slowed me down this summer.  Even though I am not a fan of fall, I’m secretly looking forward to it continuing to cool off so that I can see my faster paces again.  Shh!

I haven’t seen my average pace below 10 minutes/mile for a couple of weeks now. It felt so good to run a bit faster during Monday’s run!

Tuesday, September 12th

After work I headed to the gym, where I spent 40 minutes on the elliptical followed by 30 minutes of weight training.  It was my one and only strength training workout for the week, but I definitely made it count and walked out of the gym with sore muscles.

Wednesday, September 13th

Since it was an absolutely beautiful afternoon, I decided to do a walking commute to pick little man up from daycare.  In hindsight, I should have done my second run for the week instead since I was out of commission on Thursday.  Nonetheless, I enjoyed the beautiful weather during my 2.51 mile walk.

Thursday, September 14th

A migraine that started Wednesday afternoon got worse overnight and throughout the day on Thursday.  By the time that I was done with work for the day, I wanted nothing other than to come up and lay down, so it wound up being an unplanned rest day.

Friday, September 15th

Thankfully my head finally stopped pounding Friday morning shortly after I arrived at work, so I was able to head out for my second run of the week when I got home.  The run wasn’t anything special, but it did feel good to know that I was able to get my run in and not have to miss it.

It felt so good to just be able to run on Friday

Saturday, September 16th

My rest day before my 20 miler included driving up to south Jersey and heading into Philadelphia to pick up my bib for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly Half Marathon.

Sunday, September 17th

I will recap my half marathon and entire 20 mile experience at a later date, but for now I’ll share that it was an incredibly humid morning, which I know affected my ability to push myself more than I did.  I was drenched shortly after starting my run, and my clothes were so wet that I felt like they weighed me down during the run.  I even had to stop and change my socks during the race because they were so wet from the humidity and my sweat.  I ran 5.47 miles before the half marathon, logged 13.39 miles during the race, and then ran another 1.20 miles after the race.  I was a bit emotional after finishing my 20 miles, knowing that I am that much closer to calling myself a marathoner.

I definitely earned this mimosa after running 20 miles on an incredibly humid morning

Total Weekly Mileage – 36.81 miles (8.28 miles more than week 14)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 417.48 miles

QOTD: How do you reward yourself after a challenging training run?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 15

1. Congrats on that 20 miler, so awesome!!

2. runeatralph says:

Congrats! The 20 miler is a HUGE milestone. I’ve been seeing quite a few pics of that medal floating around and it might be the coolest medal ever. I’m a bit jealous.

3. AJ says:

Congratulations on your awesome training week! You definitely deserve that Mimosa:)

4. kookyrunner says:

Totally understand what you mean about being drenched during yesterday’s race – it was absolutely ridiculous! Great job on pushing through and completing your long run!!

5. Stephanie says:

Congrats on the 20 miler, enjoy tapering down before the big race!

6. Great job on your 20 miler, enjoy tapering down before the big race!

Congrats on that 20 miles! The mimosa was definitely well earned 🙂 I’ve read multiple people talking about the humidity during the race and it sounds like it was a tough one.

8. Coco says:

Wow, I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed sweaty socks before. That sounds miserable. Glad you recovered from the migraine in time for your 20 miler race combo.

9. Lourenza says:

Congrats on your 20. See yah in Chicago

10. Getting close! I am so so so excited for you 🙂

Great job! I hope you enjoyed that mimosa. I do reward myself after races, whether it’s a Dole Whip, or a fun adult drink. I recovered from my weekend run by snuggling with the cat. She insisted.

12. It’s been so much fun to watch your training. I am really excited for you!

13. Rachel says:

Congrats! You’ve been rocking this training. It’s almost race time!!!

14. therightfits says:

You definitely deserved that mimosa! Fantastic week, great job on that 20 miler. 🙂 I swear, everyone was in Philly this past weekend, haha!

15. The marathon will be here before you know it! I adore the medal for the Philly Half, how cute and quirky! I can totally relate to being drenched due to humidity, ugh!! You are a trooper to do the bulk of your training during these hotter months. Hoping the weather is nice on marathon day.

As for the QOTD, I definitely reward myself with food. I splurge either on a meal itself, like tacos and chips/salsa at my favorite Mexican place, or if I’m in the mood, get ice cream from Sonic or Dairy Queen!

16. YAY!!!!! The 20-miler is in the bank and taper is underway 😉 Congrats!!

That’s awesome! way to go on a great week and an awesome 20 miler! So glad the migraine is gone…those are the worst!

18. Great job on getting your 20 miles in! I have not gotten anything longer than 13 miles done in this cycle. It’s not going to be pretty but I will get it done!

19. Toni says:

Congrats on a great week and good luck with your taper.

20. Wendy says:

I love how you incorporated your race into your long run! Congrats on both. I love the medal!

21. HoHo Runs says:

Way to get that 20 miler done in the awful humidity (seriously it should count at 30!) Odds are, Chicago will feel much better and you are well prepared for whatever the day brings. I would absolutely drink a Mimosa (or three). I’m very excited for you. I know you’ll have a fantastic race! Thanks for linking.

22. Not only did you log a total of 20 miles, you did it in a race setting! That is something and even better in that humidity! While we get it more often I don’t think anyone ever gets used to it! Great job and expect to get even more emotional when you cross that 26.2-mile mark and become a member of the marathon club! 🙂 Eeeek I’m so excited for you!

23. mommyrunfaster says:

Amazing job on your 20 miler! It was a really brutal weekend for racing with that humidity- I did a half in NJ in similar conditions. You are ready for the marathon!!

24. dawnwairimu says:

This is awesome – I’m definitely inspired! I skipped my last couple runs as I’m trying to avoid injury. So i am excited to get back out there. Do you track your mileage? I just wrote a post about that: https://dawnwairimu.com/2017/09/24/running-log/

25. Pingback: Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 16 | From Dancing to Running