Friday Five – Potpourri v. 21

With so much going on right now, I thought it appropriate to do a Potpourri post today.

1.  This past week has been a very long and very trying week.  Little man is sick with a cold, which has resulted in several nights of interrupted sleep for all of us.  I also suffered through a migraine on Wednesday and Thursday, which I’m sure is partly a result of the lack of sleep.  And no, I didn’t just stay home one day to try and recover.  Its way more difficult to put together last minute sub plans than it is to just push through.

2.  This weekend I’ll be completing my longest run ever – 20 miles!  Since I am registered to run Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly on Sunday, I plan to arrive downtown early in order to run most if not all of the extra miles before the half marathon starts at 7:30 a.m.  Its going to be a very early morning, but I know that if I don’t get the miles in early then I will be very tempted to not run all 20 that are on my plan for the day.

3.  My excitement for the Chicago Marathon continues to build as each day passes and race day gets closer.  Earlier this week I finished plotting out suggested places along the course for my family to cheer from.  The official marathon program was made available this week.  And rumor has it that Nike will start to release pictures of the official merchandise this weekend.  I cannot wait to see what will be available!

Getting ready to read through the program on the computer

4.  Preston and I have been looking ahead at our fall calendar, and it is shaping up to be quite a busy, but fun, fall.  We have something going on almost every weekend between now and Thanksgiving.  Its a bit exhausting just thinking about everything that we have coming up.  But one thing is for certain: I’d much rather be busy than bored.

5.  Speaking of fall, those who know me well know that fall is far my my favorite season of the year.  I would much rather be hot than cold.  However, the dropping temperatures and lower humidity have definitely had a positive impact on my running, and hopefully I’ll start to see some speedier paces sooner than later.

QOTD: What was one highlight for you from this past week and/or what are your plans for this weekend?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous, Races and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Friday Five – Potpourri v. 21

1. Aww, so sorry to hear your son isn’t feeling well (and your migraines) — hope you both feel better soon!

Fall is my absolute FAVORITE time of year. I’m hoping the sluggish paces I’ve been seeing all summer will start to become faster and faster now that it isn’t miserably hot and humid! I prefer to stay busy, too..sounds like you guys have lots of fun things coming up!

My plans for this weekend are to stop freaking out about my first Half Ironman and just get the thing done already. lol 😉

2. Marcia says:

Ugh. Sorry about the cold. My kids both caught one a couple of weeks ago and I got it the week before I had to run my longest run before Berlin. Not fun. Nike’s Chi gear is always great!

Seeing the official program always makes me really excited. Even though I know what is in most Run Disney programs, it’s a benchmark that the race is coming, and I look at it all.

Good luck with RnR Philly! That’s a good idea to try to get the other miles in before the race. I always have a harder time adding on afterward.

5. I am so sorry you didn’t feel well this week. I’m a teacher too, and it is always a toss up for me whether to do sub plans or power through when I feel like crap. These past two years I was allowing myself to take the sick time because I found that if I didn’t rest, my sickness would hang around for so much longer. But it is a pain, for sure. Good luck on your 20 this weekend!!!!!

6. wow running extra miles before your half marathon? Did you ever think you would be that person? You have really come so far in your running this year!

7. Running the miles before the half marathon is a good move…a friend and I had an 18-miler last year the day we ran a half marathon. We did a couple miles before the race, then had to do the remaining 3 miles after the finish line. I’m glad we broke it up (so it wasn’t so overwhelming), but those final miles were tough because the weather had really gotten warm. Good luck!

8. Rabbit Food Runner says:

Oh man, I felt the EXACT same way when I was a teacher. Good luck on your run this weekend! This weekend I’m racing and then recovering 🙂

9. Rachel says:

I would much rather be hot than cold, too! But I admit, fall running is pretty awesome.

Have a great 20!!!!

10. AJ says:

Lol I often go to work sick, just to avoid having to plan for a sub! I hope your fall is as fun as you’re expecting:)

11. Sorry to hear your little man was sick and you had a migraine! Hope all is better! Good luck on your 20 miler!

12. Good luck this weekend! You will have a super early morning on Sunday to get those extra miles in. I would never be able to run before a race. Hopefully you will get a good nights sleep, better than you have been this week.

13. Wendy says:

The worst part about marathon training for me was that fear of getting sick! I hope everyone is on the mend at your house. Good luck this weekend on your long run!

14. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

I’m so sorry your little man has been sick! That is so stressful!! I can’t wait to hear how Chicago goes, I would love to do that some day!!

15. Being sick sucks! And I agree that it is much more work to put together sub plans than to just show up.

Good luck at RnR Philadelphia!

16. I lovveeee fall and am so excited for it lol. Nothing new or exciting for me this week. This upcoming week I’ve got a cross country meet with my team so that will be fun!

17. Organic Runner Mom says:

So sorry to hear you had a migraine! They are the worst. And I used to teach so I totally get how it is easier to just go in than to deal with making sub plans.