Friday Five – One Month Countdown!

One month from today is the Chicago Marathon.  One month.  That’s it.  Its so hard to believe that the big goal that I’ve been focusing on for nearly a year is going to be reality in just one short month.  I have no doubt that the next month is going to fly by, especially since I have a lot on my mind regarding my first marathon.

Only one month to go until I run the streets of Chicago!

1.  Like I shared on Wednesday, I am currently working on drafting my playlist for the race.  Any and all pump up song suggestions are welcome!

2.  I am currently in the midst of my peak mileage weeks.  Despite the blister on my heel and my sore knee, I was able to complete my 18 miler last Saturday.  My long run this weekend is a tad shorter (14 miles), and then I’ll tackle the monster 20 miler next weekend.  The idea of running 20 miles is both exciting and incredibly scary at the same time, but I’m thankful that 13 of my 20 miles will be run during the Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly Half Marathon, which should help me dig deep and find extra motivation if and when I start struggling.

After last Saturday’s 18 miler

3.  Yesterday I started pulling up the course map and a map of the Chicago “L” to start working on figuring out points during the race to suggest to my support crew on where they can go to during the race.  I’ll have my husband, little man, and my parents there on race day supporting me, and I’m hoping to be able to see them at a couple of points during the race.  Any suggestions on places along the course that are ideal for spectators would be appreciated, keeping in mind that one person on my crew is a toddler and the adults will be pushing a stroller.  (I have already considered the logistics of the start/finish line area and do not plan on having them try and meet me there.)

4.  My friend Kathleen, who I will be running the race with, and I are both on track with our training and well on our way to hopefully being able to meet her big time goal for the race.  This will be her fifth marathon, and she has a big goal that she’s trying to meet.  Although my main focus is on crossing the finish line upright, I want to support her in reaching her goal.  We’ve already discussed that if I start to struggle that she’ll go ahead and meet me at the finish line.  Even though we run at almost the exact same speed, I would hate to hold her back from reaching her big goal if I start having to walk more than I’d like to.

5.  Yesterday I ran for the first time in what will very likely be the shoes that I run Chicago in.  It made for an extra exciting training run yesterday.

My new Mizuno Wave Inspire 13s. I absolutely love the color of them!

QOTD: When is your next goal race?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Friday Five – One Month Countdown!

1. kookyrunner says:

I can’t believe that it’s only a month away – so exciting! I’m glad that you were able to run in your new sneakers and hope that the blister is continuing to heal.

Tomorrow I have a 18 mile run and then I’ll be doing the same as you with knocing out 20 next week including RnR Philly – should be fun!!

2. MCM Mama says:

I don’t have any 20 mile runs in my training plan, thankfully, but I’m running so many double digit runs I feel like all I do is run. Glad your 18 miles went well.

Yayyy! Glad the run went well. As for spectating my mom/sis/Cliff saw me 4 times along the course (it was ambitious and they said it was tiring), so I am going to suggest 3 spots. They saw me around miles 3-4 (which was pretty early on, feeling great), then they had breakfast and walked a couple blocks to miles 11-12, which is parallel to the first spot. They had breakfast in-between. Since they are downtown, hop on L and maybe head to Mile 20-21 (I don’t recall) near Chinatown (there is a stop). They were positioned a little after the Chinatown arch, so that was nice. Also, that is one of the photo opts as you go under the arch, I wish I wasn’t looking down 🙂

4. I know logistics will be challenging with a stroller but I do hope your family is able to see you cross the finish line of your first marathon even if they can’t meet you in the chute afterwards.

Yay for new shoes! Good luck on your run this weekend.

6. This is so exciting to be following you on this journey! I’m a little jealous…I’d LOVE to go back in time and run my first marathon all over again. It was a fabulous journey and a phenomenal experience 😉

7. It’s been fun to follow your journey of training for this. Can’t wait to see you crush it!

8. Marcia says:

Excited for you! I wish I had a month left! The Berlin Marathon is just over 2 weeks away. Eeek!

9. Rachel says:

I added your songs to my playlist haha! Thanks 🙂

I can’t believe Chicago is in one month!!

10. Kathleen says:

I am so excited!! And I feel confident we are going to get my goal and both be there crossing the finish line together ☺️

11. Just a month to go! So excited for you!!

12. WOOHOO! You’re going to be great! I have a half marathon at the end of this month but it’s just a for fun one. No big goal races in sight.

13. AJ says:

You sound ready!! I hope this last month just cements all your hard work for you:)

14. Michelle says:

I don’t have any races planned. I’m just glad fall is here for the better weather to be outdoors in! I love it! 🙂

15. Wendy says:

Love the color of those shoes. I sense good luck in that color combo!

16. l242k says:

Shoe envy 😍 I’m sure you’ll rock the 20 miler next weekend!

17. Organic Runner Mom says:

So exciting!! You must be excited to get to the taper. The bulk mileage weeks can be challenging mentally and physically! I can’t wait to cheer for you on race day!

18. Toni says:

How exciting! Just enjoy it! My next goal race was Naples in January, although after Irma it’s up in the air….

19. I’ve been following your training all summer! I’m so jealous…I am dying to run Chicago. You’ve been doing AMAZING, and it’ll be here before you know it!

20. Vicki says:

It’s coming up so soon!!! I’ve got my 20 miler this weekend… I’m a bit nervous.