Putting Together My Chicago Marathon Playlist

I cannot believe it, but Friday marks exactly one month until the Chicago Marathon.  The past almost year since I first signed up to run the race with Team RMHC has flown by, and I cannot believe that crossing the start line of my first marathon is right around the corner.

One of the many things on my to do list prior to Chicago is putting together my playlist for the marathon.  I know that the further that I run on race day, the more physically and mentally challenging the race will become.  This will make it imperative that my playlist is full of songs that will help keep me energized and pumped up.  Starting to think about my playlist comes at the perfect time when the topic for the Tunes Tuesday linkup this month is Pump Up Jams.

Some of my favorite Pump Up Jams that I plan to include on my Chicago Marathon playlist are:

Thunderstruck by AC/DC

We Didn’t Start the Fire by Billy Joel

I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas

Livin’ On A Prayer by Bon Jovi

Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) by C+C Music Factory

Running on Empty by Jackson Browne

Rhythm Nation by Janet Jackson

Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey

Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson

Panama by Van Halen

QOTD: What are your go to pump up songs?

Thanks to JanelleKim, and Steff for hosting the Tunes Tuesday linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Putting Together My Chicago Marathon Playlist

1. Leah Suzanne says:

Haha, awesome! I have a bunch of those songs on my playlist as well 🙂 I mean is there really anyone out there running without “we didn’t start the fire?” All the best on your race, Kathryn! 🙂

2. kookyrunner says:

Love all of your song selections! I’m going to start working on my playlist next week 🙂

Thanks for linking up with us for Tunes Tuesday!

3. Wendy says:

A lot of people told me not to listen to music during Chicago but I needed to get in my head and tune out the crowd. I still have some of my Chicago songs on my playlist because they remind me of a certain part of the race where I had to dig deep.

I’ve got Thunderstruck and We Didn’t Start the Fire for my Vegas list. I just added Pump It by the Black Eyed Peas.

5. I rarely listen to music when I run (unless my audiobook finishes unexpectedly 🙂 ), and never when I race. I like to experience the social part of racing and I feel like when everybody is plugged in it makes it hard.

6. Sia The Greatest. Love this at the end of a run. “Running out of breath, but I got stamina” and “Don’t give up, I won’t give up.” Perfectly sums up marathon training!

7. Coco says:

Ah, these a great. I love the classics in here!

8. Rachel says:

This is great! I was literally thinking I need to start curating a playlist for MCM when I was listening to Journey this morning. Haha. I’m going to add some of yours to my list!!

9. SuzLyfe says:

Thunderstruck just reminds me of the drinking game!
    My biggest advice: don’t listen to music for as long as possible. TRUST ME. Soak up the marathon and everything that is going on around you (plus, there will be a lot going on around you and you might need to be able to hear!) and then turn on your music later when you need it. There is so much excitement in each of the neighborhoods–trust me, they will sustain you until you NEED your power songs!

10. Great list! And your first marathon is SOOO exciting! I wish I could experience it all over again!

One of my favorite running songs is Lose Yourself by Eminem and right now I’m really loving Shape of You by Ed Sheeran.

11. All of those songs are winners! I have a post in the (recent) archives….I think it was February…where I highlighted some favorite AC/DC songs for running, and Thundersrtuck is powerful. I also LOVE It’s a Long Way to the Top if you Wanna Rock and Roll…oh gosh, the bagpipes!!!!!

12. I always have Titanium on my playlist and a little Britney

13. AJ says:

Thank you, you have perfect timing! Lol while I was out running the other morning I was thinking I needed new music to run to. I’ll go check these out:)

14. runeatralph says:

You have some great ones on your list. If I had to pick one song, it would be “I know what I am” by Band of Skulls. I love it and my kids do too 🙂

Great choices for your list! I’m so into JT’s “Can’t Stop The Feeling” right now – that would definitely make my list! 🙂

16. Pingback: Friday Five – One Month Countdown! | From Dancing to Running

17. Clarinda says:

So many great songs here! Good luck in Chicago!! 🙂

18. Steffany R. says:

Oh those are some great songs. I love to throw some randoms in my marathon play lists. That way when they come on it forces my brain to think a little different. Thanks for joining the link up!

19. I love these kinds of posts! I get sooo bored with my playlist. (Even though its 99% Disney songs, lol).

20. Reca says:

I love the songs you have included on your playlist. Livin on a Prayer and Don’t Stop Believin have been on my playlists for quite some time now. Your other choices are great, too. I need to add some of those to the list.