September 2017 Goals

This past month was quite the roller coaster, filled with lots of highs and some frustrating times as well.  Some of the highs included setting a new personal distance record (when I completed a 16 mile training run at the beginning of August), going on a much needed vacation to Antigua with my husband, and the start of my 10th year of teaching.  My marathon training was going really well until shortly after we arrived home from vacation, when I started experiencing knee and foot pain, and then got a rather large and painful blister on my right heel which has prevented me from running since I got it.

Between the highs and the lows, it made for an interesting month when it came towards working towards meeting my August goals.

1.  Log at least 145 miles.

Grade: C

I’m not going to lie, August was a pretty disappointing month when it came to my mileage.  My final total for the month was 108.5 miles, almost 30 miles less than what I completed in July.  When it came to both my mileage and my marathon training, I was doing really well with keeping up with both until just after vacation.  My return to work significantly reduced my time allocated to working out, and that week was also coupled with significant knee pain that further limited my running.

My longest run of the month was my 16 miler at the beginning of August

In the big picture of the entire year, I cannot be disappointed though, as my current mileage total for 2017 is 777.1 miles.  I am currently 77% of the way towards meeting my goal for the year.  I only have to log a little more than 55 miles each month for the rest of the year, which I’m sure I’ll have no trouble meeting.  When I do my quarterly goals check in at the end of September, I’ll evaluate whether I need to modify my mileage goal for the year.

2.  Cross and strength train at least two times per week.

Grade: A

I had no trouble reaching this goal this past month.  The funny thing is that I seem to be incredibly motivated to do each of these twice a week, and its when I increase my goal to three times per week that I really struggle to add in extra workouts.

3.  Stay active while on vacation.

Grade: A+++

Between snorkeling, pool aerobics, and walks on the beach, in addition to marathon training, I more than stayed active while on vacation.  My only days of complete rest while on vacation were our travel days.

On the boat during our snorkel trip in Antigua

4.  Don’t overindulge while on vacation.

Grade: A

Although I enjoyed myself while we were away, I never felt as though I over stuffed myself.  There certainly was plenty of temptation to do so since we stayed at an all inclusive, but I’m pretty proud of myself for the food and drink choices that I did make while we were away.

I’m hopeful that now that I’m getting back into the school year routine, and with my marathon right around the corner, that September will be a great month.  As my blister continues to heal it’ll be a slow start to the month, but hopefully I’ll be able to gradually rebuild my activity throughout the month and be back at it in full force by the end of September.

1.  Log at least 135 miles.

Since I didn’t reach my mileage goal last month, I’d like to try and log at least the same number of miles that I did in July.  Fingers crossed that my body cooperates!

2.  Cross and strength train at least two times per week.

Even though I met this goal in August, its going to be increasingly challenging to workout as frequently as I did over the summer.  Twice a week seemed to be my sweet spot during the summer, so I’d like to see if I can still manage to keep up with that.

3.  Foam roll and stretch consistently.

As the miles continue to increase as I get closer to Chicago, I need to make sure that I’m taking care of myself.  Consistently foam rolling and stretching will not only help my knee but my body altogether.

4.  Be more on top of my blogging.

I only wrote six blog posts in August.  Six.  I had many more posts than that planned, but time got away from me last month.  I’m starting to loose some of my drive and focus with blogging, and if I’m going to continue with it then I did to be better about prioritizing my time for it.

QOTD: What are your goals for September?

I’m linking up with Ange and Carmy for the Monthly Goals linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to September 2017 Goals

1. I’ve found that when I miss a day or two with in my “regular blog schedule”, it becomes a slippery slope and it’s easy to just keep missing days.

2. kookyrunner says:

I know that you fell short on your August mileage goal, but you still logged over 100 miles for the month which is super impressive!

I hope that the blister will begin to feel better very soon. You’re doing the right thing by not running and letting it heal. We still have over a month until Chicago so plenty of time to train!

3. Love these goals! My biggest goal for September is to finish another half marathon trail race (tomorrow) and then train hard to get ready for a 30K trail race in November!

4. AJ says:

Thank you! You’ve inspired me to set a mileage goal for September. I’ve been really good at working out this summer (even running in my holidays), but I’m worried it’s all going to come crashing down now that I’m returning to work:( I’m a goal oriented person so let’s hope a mileage goal will help!

My training for RnR started this week, and I actually have a training plan this time around. My hope is I can stick to it and get all my runs in, plus biking on Sundays. My cross training has been all about strength, but I need more cardio in the mix.

6. Great job on your yearly mileage so far! I did not log enough miles over the summer to make it to 1000. I don’t have any goals for September since I am only walking for right now. I was excited to walk 3 this morning! It takes me awhile, but miles are miles!

7. Marcia says:

You’ve knocked out a huge chunk of your mileage for the year. That is awesome!

You had a lot going on in August and it looks like it was a fun month! Hope school is going well!

9. Blogging is a tight rope adventure….sometimes I have a lot of (what I think are) great topics, other times, I’ve got nothing. I’m not one to write a quick post just for the sake of posting, so there have been a few favorite link-ups I’ve passed on (recently) just because I had nothing to contribute (but I still tried to read a bunch of my favorite bloggers’ posts anyways). I think you had a great month, though, despite the little snag with your injuries…is it possible the heel blister was a result of a compromised form due to the other stuff? They all seemed to happen about the same time…Hope your healing goes well!

• Your theory about the blister most certainly could be true. Hopefully the injuries won’t continue to appear, especially with Chicago right around the corner.

And I agree with you about blogging. I’ve recently cut back on participating in some of my favorite link ups. I don’t want to write just for the sake of writing if I have nothing to say.

10. Rachel says:

Great goals!! I feel you on the blogging front. But I’m actually in a really good groove right now. I had a slump where I just wasn’t feeling it. I think a schedule really helps.

11. Wendy says:

Once that blister heals, you’ll be good to go. It’s almost as if your body decided to force you to take a break!
    For September, I need to pick up some miles on my long runs. I’ve got a 15k in October and 2 halfs after that. Although I will end up running more races this year than I ever have. Who knew?

12. I know you are disappointed with your running mileage for this month but look at how far you have come this year! It’s really quite impressive

13. Sounds like a good month to me! 145 miles was a lofty goal. You still had a great amount of mileage. And staying active during vacation? That should count as double!

14. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

These all sound like such great goals! I need to start making monthly goals again to get back on track!!

15. You have some great goals! I just want to get through my training and PR….mileage be damned. Good luck with September.

16. jljohnson says:

Your monthly goals are awesome! I need to stretch too (and stay on top of my blogging!) I’m trying to stay on top of it more now that I have a planner again. 😀

17. Pingback: Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 14 | From Dancing to Running