Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 12

On October 8th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

There are only six weeks left until the big race.  SIX!  I cannot believe how close my first marathon is.  The past 12 weeks since I first started my training have flown by, and with today being the first day of school for the 2017-2018 school year, I’m sure that the next six weeks will fly by even faster.

Up until this past week, my body seemed to be holding up pretty well with marathon training.  Until we left for vacation at the beginning of August, I had been pretty much on track with my training plan, and then as I mentioned last week I reduced my mileage a bit while we were away, although I stayed plenty active doing other activities.  I felt great last Saturday when I ran 14 miles, and then on Monday I felt like my body really started to fail me.

It started with pain in my left knee, an area that I’ve never had issues with.  (Its my right ankle that I’ve had problems with since I was a child, and why I wear an ankle brace when I run, and my main injuries from my car accident in 2015 were contained to my lower back.)  But then on Thursday my left foot also started hurting.  Again, an area of my body that hasn’t really ever bothered me before.  I knew that my running shoes were in dire need of replacement before we left for vacation, but I didn’t want to have to worry about breaking in new shoes while we were away.  So worn out shoes, coupled with more than usual treadmill running over the past couple of weeks, I’m sure are the main culprits thatt led to my recent aches and pains.  Hopefully the pain will start to go away for good, since with Chicago right around the corner I don’t have time for any long term injuries.

On Monday I headed back to work after an incredibly short summer (our break this year was only seven weeks!).  After a full day at school, I headed to the gym and felt strong during my progression run.  I ran five miles, completing my last mile in 8:56.  I felt fine as I stepped off of the treadmill, but unfortunately shortly after I arrived home was when I started feeling the pain in my left knee.

My first day back at work couldn’t keep me from staying on tack with marathon training, even if that meant running on the treadmill after school.

On Tuesday my knee was more sore than painful, so I walked to daycare to pick little man up that afternoon.  The pain really kicked in as we neared home, and the pain was even stronger while I did some strength training.  I had to stop lower body exercises altogether because my knee hurt so badly.

I saw my chiropractor on Wednesday, and in addition to my routine adjustment he did quite a bit of work on my knee.  I left the doctor’s office with instructions to take it easy and to listen to my body.

On Thursday, I opted to skip my planned run since I was still experiencing some pain, though it was feeling a lot better than it had the two days prior.  Instead, I did cross training on the elliptical at the gym.  My knee didn’t hurt any more afterwards than it had when I started, so I took that as a good sign that I’d be able to do a long run on Saturday.  After the elliptical, I also did 30 minutes of weight training.  I was super careful with the few lower body exercises that I did, and spent much more time focusing on abs and upper body exercises.

In hopes of being able to my long run on Saturday, Friday was a complete and total rest day.  After a long week of back to school meetings and working on my classroom, a rest day was exactly what I needed.

Saturday’s long run was…interesting.  I had 16 miles on my plan, which I knew was not going to happen, not only because of my knee but also because I had to take little man with me.  Prior to this past weekend, my stroller PDR was just under 9 miles, so I knew that 16 miles was completely unrealistic.  I set out to run 100% based on feel, partly because of the stroller, partly because of my knee, and partly because I made the silly decision to break in new running shoes that morning.  I decided to run using 3:1 intervals (3 minutes of running followed by 1 minute of walking) instead of my usual 4:1 intervals that I do on my long runs.  My knee wound up feeling okay throughout the run, I was able to push myself to 10 miles with the stroller, and it wound up being the new shoes that had me stopping at 10 miles.  Around mile 6 I felt what I thought was just a hot spot on my right heel, but less than a mile later stopped to adjust my sock to realize that not only had I gotten a blister but that it had also already popped.  Thank goodness there was a grocery store on my route that morning, and just past mile 8 I ran into the store for both a pit stop and to buy some band aids (thank goodness I had money on me!).

After buying a box of band aids I sat on the sidewalk outside the grocery store and put one on my heel, but the damage had already been done.  I very slowly pushed myself to run an additional two miles, and after that I was done (my upper body was also quite sore at this point from running with little man).  We still had at least two miles to go before arriving back home, which I walked.  A couple of times I contemplated taking my shoes off, putting them in the stroller basket, and walking home in just my socks.  Before setting out for the run I had told myself that I’d run as far as I could and then walk the rest of my planned miles, but at 12 miles I had to throw in the towel for the day.  The shower that I took after arriving back home was quite painful for my poor heel.

I took the “slow miles are better than no miles” approach to my long run on Saturday, but had to throw in the towel at 10 miles.

Needless to say, Sunday also wound up being a rest day.  It hurts to have a band aid on my open blister, let alone a shoe.  I have no idea how this coming week is going to go, so I’ll be taking things one day at a time.

Total Weekly Mileage – 23.16 miles (6.45 miles less than week 11)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 323.75 miles

QOTD: What recent setbacks have you faced with your training?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 12

1. Jessica S. says:

I hope the blister heals soon! You’re doing great. Keep it up!

2. kookyrunner says:

I’m so sorry that you had a rough week 😦 I hope that the blister will heal up quickly. Major kudos to you for getting in a long run with the stroller, that’s amazing!

I hope that your knee and foot feel better. I usually use KT tape on my knees for my long runs since they tend to get achy – it does seem to help a little bit. Icing also helps as well.

3. Oh no! Sorry to hear about the rough week. Hopefully things go better this week and that blister heals up quickly. If I learned anything while training for my first marathon, it’s that one bad week won’t make or break your training. Continue to listen to your body! Are you planning to do a 20 miler before you taper?

4. Six weeks will be here before you know it! I hope these little aches and pains can stay under control!

5. Oh I’m so about your heal – that blister sounds painful! Hope it heals quickly and you can get back on track.

6. Lourenza says:

Blisters are no joke. I hope it heals soon before Chicago.

Oh no, it sounds like a painful week! I hope that the aches and pains ease up this week.

8. I can clearly see the craze and excitement of the Chicago Marathon everywhere. It’s going to be a huge event. Best luck!!!

9. Ivanna says:

Yikes I hate blisters. Sometimes I think they are more irritating then they are painful. I hope it feels better soon.

10. Any miles pushing a stroller is tough, but 10 is very impressive!! Hate to hear about the blister though …those really suck. Hopefully, you can get the new shoes broken in before race day!

Kudos to you for a 10 miler with the Bob! That’s awesome!! So sorry about your knee and the blister! I hope all feel better soon!

12. ooh sorry to hear that you had a rough week out there. I have had some random chafing lately have no idea why. Rest and ice that knee of yours this week. hope you feel better

13. Out of curiosity, where is your knee pain? A common knee pain for me is caused by my IT band so I try to regularly roll my quads, hamstrings, and the outside of my thighs as well as do yoga. Yoga gives me that extra stretch which I can’t ever seem to accomplish after running.

14. Ouch! Blisters are nasty! I’ve never had one either of my heels, I bet you feel it with every step ;-(

15. Blisters are the worst. I recently got three on my feet from dress shoes and did a runch the same day – thank goodness for band aids! Painful, painful showers with blisters. Hope you leg feels better soon…and blisters too.

You could check Walgreens and see if they have NewSkin or liquid skin, or whatever they call it these days. Body Glide might also help on the sock to cut down the friction.

17. Sorry to hear about your knee issue and then the blister. Way to push through your long run. Hope you feel better soon!

18. Elle says:

So sorry about the blister – they are darned sore and you have to be careful that it does not get infected. I have tried out Polysporin brand blister covers and they are effective and non-sting.

19. I hope your blisters heal quickly! Those shoes are so cute…but not worth the blisters. 😦 Have you run the Chicago marathon before?

20. Blisters are the worst! I’ve used second skin to get past running on them.

21. Bummer about the knee and the blister, but you still did an amazing job! Don’t forget, you won’t be pushing a stroller at Chicago. Here’s to quick healing and a great last 6 weeks of training!

22. Wendy says:

Of all the things to sideline you, a blister? Damn. Maybe the time off to let the blister heal will give your knee a rest as well. You’ve been doing so great with your running. Marathon training is so hard on a body.

23. Coco says:

Ugh! That blister sounds so annoying. Will you have to return the new shoes? ;-( i hope your knee is on the mend at least.

• Since I bought them several months ago on clearance from DSW I don’t think that I’ll be able to return them. This is my fourth or fifth pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 12, so I’m not sure why this pair gave me as much trouble as it did.

24. Rachel says:

Oh no! Your poor foot!! That stinks 😦 Hope it heals quickly. And take those shoes back!

25. I hope all this irons out by itself. You’re doing so well in your training! I don’t get them too often thanks to Trail Toes but I did get a nasty one when I ran my marathon.

26. You reminded me when I had a knee thing due to shoes and poor form. I took off 5 days and still had a massive PR that cycle (http://eatprayrundc.com/shamrock-half-marathon-training-recap-week-nine/) – don’t fret but make sure to NOT wear those shoes anymore! I know you’ll be back in business soon, friend!

27. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I hope your knee is feeling better! Sometimes breaking in a new pair of shoes can be tough, I’m sorry to hear about your blister as well! You’re tough to still finish out 12 miles despite the pain. Here’s to a pain-free week this week!

28. Pingback: September 2017 Goals | From Dancing to Running

29. Pingback: Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 13 | From Dancing to Running

30. irunelite says:

Sorry about the rough week. Feel better.