Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 9

On October 8th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

This past week was a physically challenging one.  Between the heat and humidity, and increasing the distance of my long run, my body was certainly put to the test of how much it can endure.  This past week also marked the halfway point of my training.  I am now officially halfway done with training for my first marathon!  Time has been flying by and I cannot believe that in just nine short weeks I will be able to call myself a marathoner!

Monday, July 31st

I kicked off the week with a run with my little man.  Since my legs were still quite sore from last Saturday’s 15 miler, it was very slow going.  Little man was also a tad fussy during the run, which created an extra challenge for me.  But the important thing is that I got my run done!

Smiling post run, despite how challenging of a run it was

Tuesday, August 1st

After Preston was done with work for the day I headed to the gym, where I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical and 35 minutes doing full body weight training.  Even though my muscles were still a tad sore, I decided to push through.  No pain, no gain, right?

Wednesday, August 2nd

Little man went to daycare for the day, which allowed me to complete my run on my own.  Even without having to push the stroller, the humidity really got to me and slowed me way down, especially during the last couple of miles.

I love summer, but the humidity has become quite brutal! Marathon training during the summer is most certainly a challenge, but I’m praying that pushing through when it’s hot and humid will make me that much stronger on race day.

Thursday, August 3rd

I had wanted to get to the gym but with us getting ready to head out of town I had plenty of chores, errands, and packing that dictated otherwise.  Instead, I did 35 minutes of strength training at home.

Friday, August 4th

We had a long day of travel to my parents’ house in Illinois, plus a rest day before a long run is usually a smart idea.

Saturday, August 5th

I had been looking forward to this run ever since looking at my training plan and realizing that I’d be doing a long run while in Illinois.  I always looking forward to running in flat Central Illinois, as I’m usually able to push my pace just a tad more due to fewer hills than are on some of my usual routes at home.  However, my 16 miler wound up being quite challenging, as my legs felt tired and heavy during much of my run.  The further that I ran, the slower that I became, but I pushed through, didn’t stop, and reached a new personal distance record!

Since I was in Illinois at my parents’ house this past weekend, I had the opportunity to run on the beautiful trail in my hometown. And it was an absolutely gorgeous morning for a run, 60 degrees when I started and 75 when I finished, with lowish humidity.  Marathon training is definitely slowing me down, especially since my legs were tired and heavy during much of my long run. But I’m still celebrating because I didn’t stop and reached another new PDR!

Sunday, August 6th

Unfortunately, I spent Saturday night and the first half of Sunday battling a migraine.  Thankfully I felt better after taking an early afternoon nap, but since we had plans to go to a baseball game late Sunday afternoon/evening I lost out on the opportunity to do any cross or strength training.

We had a blast at the baseball game, and we got to meet Corny the Corn Belter!

Total Weekly Mileage – 30.05 miles (2.21 miles more than week 8)

Total Chicago Mileage – 250.05 miles

QOTD: How is your summer training going?  Is the heat and humidity finally catching up with you?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 9

1. Coco says:

It’s fun to run in different places but traveling can be taxing too. Glad you were able to push through that 16 miler and get it done!

2. Our weather in Iowa has been very unseasonably cool the past week or so…..I’m not complaining about the cooler temps, but I much prefer them in October

3. Congrats on reaching your longest distance goal! That’s quite an achievement indeed. Happy running

4. Way to get in your workouts! The humidity has been rough here too. However, we just had a rather large thunderstorm come trough all day yesterday which has helped.

5. Congrats on reaching your furthest distance thus far! I do believe all the pushing through you’ve done in the heat will indeed make race day go easier! You got this!

6. Wendy says:

I struggled with a headache all weekend while I was in Alabama. It was never bad enough to stop me from doing anything but it definitely let me know it was there. I think it was the humidity.

7. kookyrunner says:

Great job on tackling your runs during the week in the heat and humidity and congrats on your longest “long” run!

Your legs will definitely “talk to you” after logging so many miles, lol. Have you tried taking an ice bath after a long run? It can really help even if it’s a bit uncomfortable to deal with at first!

8. Lourenza says:

I know what you mean training in the heat and humidity. Luckily this past weekend for 15, I had to dodge drizzle and sometimes downpour of rain. I’ll take that anyday versus the sun beating down on me. I do suffer from migraines as well. You are a trooper for pushing through. Good luck in Chicago.

9. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job and congrats on the 16 miler! It’s expected to run a bit slower on your longer runs, but it will all benefit you when race day comes.

10. Elle says:

Good for you to be so diligent with your training. I bet the trail run was lovely.

11. Those temps for your long run – so awesome! Congrats on your new distance record!

Great job on those 16 miles! I can’t believe you’re halfway, but then this summer has gone by rather quickly.

13. Humidity here is normally terrible, but I’m taking my nutrition very seriously, and I don’t seem to be slowing down near as much I normally do. In summer’s past, my times are normally 15-30 seconds slower than spring/fall runs, but not this year. I’ve definitely stayed consistent. Then Saturday, I ran a 3-miler and even set a race PR, breaking my PR from April!

14. Looks like a great week! The heat and humidity is definitely catch up to me here in San Diego, though I know its way worse elsewhere!

15. Marcia says:

Congrats on getting that 16! It’s always fun and a confidence builder to break through to a new distance. Our weather in the Chicago area was pretty gorgeous. Glad you could enjoy it!

16. Rachel says:

That’s some great mileage last week! Nice job!

17. HoHo Runs says:

Congrats on the personal distance record. You’ll be setting quite a few of those in the coming weeks. That looks like such a pretty trail you ran on. I can’t talk about the humidity — I sound like a whiny broken record. But yes, it will definitely help you during that cooler fall race!

18. You are doing amazing! Congrats on the new distance. I remember my first marathon and how exciting it was to break distance records every week!

19. I love how you are pushing through! The heat and humidity is almost unbearable. It really just sucks the life right out of you. However, the shtiow must go on!

Congratulations on your longest run! (And have so much fun!)

20. Congrats on your 16-miler! That is so awesome. I slacked majorly on my training the past two weeks…hoping to kick it back into gear this week.

21. Ahh! 16 miles! That’s awesome – way to go! Summer training is so hard, but the cooler weather always makes me feel like I’m flying when fall comes! Thanks for linking up and in 9 weeks, you’ll be a marathoner!!

Congrats on that 16 miler! It sounds like it was pretty tough so way to push through. Sorry to hear about the migraine 😦

The path for your 16 mile run looks like a beautiful one! So sorry about your headache, but I’m glad it was gone before the game!

24. Congrats on your distance achievement (and for pushing through). I used to get migraines a lot when I first started running longer. I’m prone to them anyway, but they came on consistently with those long runs the first time I started doing them. I realized it was because I was dehydrated. Long runs are no joke! I’m sorry you got stuck with a migraine. Those are not fun.

25. Wow little man has gotten so big! With my break, I have missed so much!
    Only 9 more weeks for you Kathryn that is awesome! It will be here before we know it!
    That humidity can really really suck the life out of you no matter what shape you are in. Your totally right pushing through runs like this will make you stronger on race day when it counts!

26. Wendy says:

Congrats on your 16-miler! The heat does make things hard–but I do prefer summer heat than winter cold (I can never get layering right). Great job on your training week.

27. Great job on your 16-miler, must have been nice to have less humidity. Training for a marathon is no joke, especially in the Summer!

28. Your Saturday run looks like a trail I use here often. It’s one of my favorite places to run.

29. gorunhussell says:

I’m a runner mama too! Way to be runnin with your little guy, it’s tough pushing a jogger! And also awesome location for your long run, it looks beautiful! Good for you pushin through though you had a fatigued feeling week! Keep at it ☺️

30. Pingback: Chicago Marathon Training Log – Weeks 10 and 11 | From Dancing to Running