Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 7

On October 8th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Boy am I glad that this past week was a cut back week.  We were under Heat Advisories here in the D.C. area multiple days in a row, including during the weekend, which made for an incredibly challenging week of working out.

Monday, July 17th

My body was still tired, and my feet and calves were still incredibly sore, from last Saturday’s 14 miler and my friend’s wedding.  So instead of doing my first run of the week, I decided to take another rest day from running, and opted for an easier workout at the gym instead, where I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes doing weight training.

Tuesday, July 18th

My body was finally feeling a bit better Tuesday morning when I headed out for my run with little man.  The heat and humidity were already in full force at 8:00 in the morning when we headed out, and the difficult stroller run unfortunately set the tone for the rest of my running last week.  After completing my 5 mile run I walked another 1.76 miles, which was a welcome workout after completing a mentally and physically challenging run.

Running with the stroller is never easy, but it’s during the difficult runs that I keep reminding myself that the stroller is making me stronger with each mile that I run with it.

Wednesday, July 19th

Sore muscles + lots of playtime with little man = an unplanned rest day.  I took him to an indoor play place on Wednesday, and his smiles while we played together were well worth taking a rest day.

Thursday, July 20th

Little man and I kicked off the day with a walk to the grocery store.  Our round trip mileage was 2.63 miles.  Because of the high heat and humidity, and the heat advisory, I opted to complete my run on the treadmill Thursday evening as opposed to running outside.  I attempted to do a 5 mile progression run, but around the end of the 4th mile I started to feel dizzy, so I decided to cut my run short.  Better safe than sorry, especially with the heat outside.

I was so happy to be done with that run!
Around 4 miles I started feeling lightheaded and dizzy, and since I couldn’t shake it off I cut my run short. Its much better to be safe than sorry!

Friday, July 21st

Preston was off from work on Friday, so we decided to kick off the day with a family walk.  We walked just under 3 miles, and afterwards I did a 35 minute full body strength training workout.

Saturday, July 22nd

I had been looking forward to a slightly shorter long run, and had 10 miles on tap for the day.  Unfortunately from the moment that I started my run, my legs felt heavy and I struggled with the effects of the heat and humidity.  Although I chose to run on a fairly shaded route, it was also quite hilly, which made dealing with the heat and humidity extra challenging.  There were several times when I wanted to give up, but I wouldn’t let myself stop.  I did wind up taking some extra walk breaks during the last four miles, but the important thing is that I didn’t cut my run short, and still ran all 10 miles that were on my training plan.

After a challenging and difficult week of training, I’m not surprised that Saturday’s long run was an extremely hard one for me. My legs felt heavy from the moment I started, and I wound up having to take extra walk breaks during the last four miles.

Sunday, July 23rd

Between being exhausted from my long run and battling a migraine for most of the day, my body had been screaming for complete rest, which is exactly what I gave it.

Total Weekly Mileage – 29.80 miles (1.39 miles less than week 6)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 192.16 miles

QOTD: How do you adjust your workouts to accommodate for high heat and/or humidity?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 7

1. Angela says:

I thought training in winter was tough but running in heat wow!!! If its hot I usually don’t look at mileage but ‘time on feet’ rather than distance, if my plan says 10 miles I’ll try to run for as long as it would typically take me to run 10 miles but I don’t actually look at the mileage as I know I wont have reached 10…hope that makes sense!

2. Great job! I adjust my runs my running really early or really late. Sometimes I change my workout to something else like cycling or yoga.

3. kookyrunner says:

I love that you listened to your body and switched things up earlier in the week. I did a few runs on the treadmill last week because I just couldn’t deal with the weather – I’m so over it! Luckily I have my cutback week this week and the weather should be a little cooler, so I’m thankful for that!

4. The weather has been just brutal around here. I am having such a tough time running myself. Nice job getting those long runs in

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job! I think your pace was still really solid considering the weather…it was NOT easy to run out there in the heat and humidity, I tried to avoid it as much as possible!

6. I’ve been trying to be better about my hydration during the week because I think I’ve been dehydrated going into the weekend runs. That definitely won’t work. The weather is tough but I just try to give myself grace with it.

Since I started running after moving to Texas, summer running wasn’t fun. I made peace with the treadmill early because I knew I would need it for months on end. Even getting up before the sun wouldn’t work because it never cools off at night there.

8. Wendy says:

I start my runs at 5 am to beat the heat! And even then they are hot runs. Nice solid week of training! Even runs that suck,make us stronger!

9. Your little guy’s smile is adorable 😉 What a cutie!

10. MB Jackson says:

Your little man is growing up! Cute! Right now I can’t get up early enough to run outside. I just expect it to sucky, sweaty, gross 😦

11. Marcia says:

Last week was SO tough for running! We had the same brutal heat and humidity and my runs were a slog. I ran by heart rate and took plenty of walk breaks when my HR got too high.

12. I am doing Chicago as well, and training in this heat and humidity has been killer. I’ve been hydrating like crazy and just trying to get the miles in…much of them by walking. Good job on training sensibly and also getting your 10-miler done. Think of how easy 26.2 will feel in October!

13. Running this summer has been so tough! You were smart to listen to your body and changes things up!

14. You guys have definitely been hit hard up there.

Unfortunately, we live in an area that is all about extreme heat and humidity. To combat it, I work on staying hydrated, and running in the wee hours of morning before the sun comes up. It’s still suffocating, but so much better without the sun beating down. And then we just pray for winter LOL!

Great job getting it all in, safely. I hope you are feeling better after your rest day.

15. Coco says:

The weather has just been brutal, and even the storms aren’t providing lasting relief. Opting for the treadmill or really short runs is a smart option. I can’t believe how big your Little Man is getting – he is so cute!

16. Rachel says:

Sounds like a really challenging week. Good thing you listened to your body and rested/walked/stopped when you needed to. A lot of people are too stubborn to pay attention!

17. HoHo Runs says:

Great job in getting in those miles! My answer? Slow down. Alot. It is such a humbling thing to do but it about the only thing you can do to get through hot and humid runs. It is good practice for race day too. You never know what weather you will get.

18. Wendy says:

The summer weather sure makes marathon training a challenge! Do the best you can and I second Holly’s advice: slow down.

19. I’m glad you’re listening to your body and staying safe with the heat! I’ve been doing a lot of treadmill runs here in Texas.

Sorry you had such a difficult week of workouts. Way to hang in there and tough it out though! Great job.

21. jljohnson says:

Your little man is so freaken cute! That smile is adorable!! It totally makes up for the rough workouts in my opinion.

22. Darlene says:

We’ve had such a humid summer. I am glad that I am not training seriously for anything.

When it is humid, I walk more and stop recording my pace. I just want to get it done.

Hopefully things will go better with your training in the coming months.

Thanks for linking up.