My Love/Hate Relationship with Summer Running

There’s no nice way to say it: summer running is hard!  I’ve trained for half marathons over the summer before, but with me being in the midst of training for my first full marathon this summer, I have found running this summer to be more challenging than in the past.

Nice and sweaty after a long run

Summer is one of my favorite months of the entire year.  My least favorite is winter.  I hate layering up, especially when I head out for a run.  I hate dealing with snow, ice, wind, the cold, pretty much anything and everything associated with winter.  Even though summer means I can wear shorts and tank tops, especially when I’m out running, it also means that I’m sweating much more than in the winter.  And what often comes with sweat?  Chafing, which is so incredibly painful!

While in the winter you get to battle conditions like cold and wind, in the summer you get to battle heat and humidity.  Although I would much rather be hot over cold, the summer weather conditions do make it difficult to run sometimes.  There are plenty of times over the summer when I question my sanity about running outside, but I’ll take being hot and sweaty over not being able to feel my face, hands, and toes any day.

I’d much rather be hot and sweaty than shivering like I was during much of this year Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon

One of the many reasons that I love summer is the longer days and greater number of hours of sunshine.  I hate how dark and dreary the mornings and evenings are in the winter, especially when I find myself at work for the majority of the daylight hours.  It is often a race against the clock to beat the sunset so that I can run after work, but during the summer that is far from the case.  During the summer, especially on days of long runs, its often the opposite, trying to beat the clock to get outside for that long run before it gets too hot and humid.

Summer running is also more scenic.  Many of the flowers and trees that bloomed during the Spring are still retaining their color.  During the winter, the scene more sparse and far less colorful.  I love the way that the sun shines through the trees and creates picturesque backdrops while I am out running.

One of the many beautiful scenes that I have been able to capture this summer while out on a run.

So while there are pros and cons to summer running, and I do have a love/hate relationship with it, I would take running on a hot, humid, sunny day over a cold and snowy winter day.

QOTD: Which do you prefer: summer or winter running?  Why?

Today I’m linking up with PattyErika, and Marcia for the Tuesdays on the Run linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to My Love/Hate Relationship with Summer Running

1. I’m just the opposite. Love winter running. You can always add layers for the weather, but in the heat, there’s only so much you can take off. Today, in northern Ohio, it’s going to be 92 with 90% humidity. 😝 I’ll take some snow and ice please!!

Love your blog! Check mind out when you have time.

2. kookyrunner says:

My favorite season to run is Fall (not too hot or too cold), but if I had to pick between summer and winter, I always pick winter, lol. I actually hate summer and it’s my least favorite season of the year because I hate being so hot, sweaty and sticky. I don’t run in the winter when i’s snowing or icy outside, but I don’t mind running in layers!

3. I’m a summer gal, too. I can handle the snow, cold, and wind of winter, but I’ll gladly take heat and humidity of summer any day.

4. Wendy says:

I can’t say that I love one more than the other, but I do prefer heading outside when it’s warm! But there is something about those magical runs in the fresh snow!

5. I love summer in general so if that means slower paces, less miles, and more humidity, well than I guess I’ll take that over cold and snow..lol

Neither? I love spring and fall running because it can be cool in the morning, but I don’t need layers upon layers. It’s also not too hot in the afternoons during the week, so I can still run outside and not be a sweaty mess.

7. runeatralph says:

I suffer much more on long summer runs, but I just tell myself that I’m creating a stronger and better runner for the fall and winter months. That’s when the PRs come 🙂

8. sweatingawesome says:

You make good points on both sides but I think I still prefer winter! At least if it’s cold, I’ll warm up from running. In summer, I haven’t even started running and I’m already sweating…that’s not good. I hate the heat of summer, running or not. Great post!

9. I love running any time of year, but I do love summer running. Something about the sunshine being out just makes me want to run further than in gloomy days or times of year.

10. That is a hard question! I love summer running but I also hate that it’s hot. I really don’t like winter because I often run early and it’s cold and dark at that hour. I’d have to say fall running is my favorite!

11. Rachel says:

I am 100% with you, girl. I loathe dressing in all the layers, I hate being cold, and running in the winter is so drab. Even if it’s humid as heck right now, I’m still so grateful to be running in the summer!

12. SuzLyfe says:

I hear you. Summer running can be so rewarding, and it can be so brutal!

13. despite the incredible heat and humidity I will take summer running over winter running anyday. With that being said I have been running in Cali with no humidity and temps in 60’s-70’s and it is perfect running weather….

14. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You’re definitely right that summer running is much more colorful! I went on a short run in my neighborhod on Monday and I loved running past all the flowers in bloom. I much prefer winter running (I know I’m in the minority), but I’ll give the summer the edge when it comes to that!

15. That’s a really toss up for me. I love running in both winter and summer. There is something about early morning runs with the sunrise that I love. Yet, bundling up in winter and getting your run in can be an accomplishment ans bad ass, haha! I’m most looking forward to fall running.

16. I much prefer summer running, but this humidity is killing me! I hate being cold, so in the winter I wind up over-layering, and then sweat and get even more cold!

I honestly don’t mind winter running here because it hardly ever gets to where it’s unbearably cold! Although I do enjoy summer running, I’m not a fan of the heat and humidity!

18. I’m training for my first marathon too and, every time I go for a run, I wonder what I was thinking trying to train in the summer! I’ll complain in the winter too, but I think the summer weather impacts my runs more – they are slower and stinkier.

19. gorunhussell says:

I’m fine running any time of year! Love it all.. though it is so true in summer you can only take off so much.. 😂 once I’ve gotten used to high summer temps it’s not so bad. Plus I try to go in the morning before it’s too hot (90’s/low 100’s here, low humidity, deserty). If I had to pick a least fave I’d say winter. I get this itchiness on my skin running in really cold.. anybody else? It’s really weird. Mostly on my quads.

20. Pace yourself… it is a long road.

21. Chloe says:

Summer running is great for me as an early bird seeing as it’s light by the time I get out of the door! In literally every other way winter is my favourite thing in the world, so it’s nice to have running as one summer thing to really look forward to. 🙂

22. AJ says:

I actually prefer Fall running, lol. I often start my half marathon training in January when we have to stop and writ out our gloves every ten minutes and often the race is on the first hot day where I feel like I’m going to die from heat exhaustion every other step, so my pick is always the crisp, clear mornings of Fall:)

23. Having only been running for five weeks, I am just starting to realise I prefer running in the rain. I find hot sunny days much harder to run in. Haven’t experienced winter running yet!! Really enjoyed reading your blog – thank you!!

24. I prefer summer everything, even running. I don’t love the sweating but at least it cools me off without making me cold like winter sweating does. I think the fall will be lovely though.

25. numptyrunner says:

You have missed out the 2 favorite times to run Spring and Autumn. Summer is too hot, winter is too dark. Spring and Autumn have good morning light and just cool enough to run in

26. I’m not looking forward to my first winter season of being a runner. I need to go and buy some new kit which will cost me at least one night out and then I’m going to end up wearing too much half way through a run. The dread!

27. Hannah says:

Summer running always feels like I’m sweating out all the toxins. Totally agree with you on winter running. I have to really push myself to get out of bed in the darkness and put on all those layers.