Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 6

On October 8th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

This past week was another incredibly active, busy, and productive one.  I pushed my long run mileage to 14 miles, which is the furthest that I have ever run before.  (I have run a couple of 14 milers prior to previous half marathons.)  When I next increase my long run mileage, I will be pushing myself to a distance that I have never run before, which is exciting and scary all at the same time.

My workouts this week brought my current mileage total for 2017 to just over 600 miles.  It was so exciting to import my Garmin data last night and see the progress that I have made.

Monday, July 10th

I kicked off the week with a stroller run in the morning with my little man.  I felt strong throughout the run, and managed negative splits.  The cooler weather and lower humidity were a huge help with me being able to complete a strong run while also pushing the stroller.  Since it was such a beautiful morning, I walked an additional mile after completing my run.

Negative splits with my little buddy was a great way to kick off the week.

Tuesday, July 11th

Tuesday morning little man and I walked three and a half miles while running errands.  That evening, I completed a 35 minute strength training workout, utilizing the new lower body workout that had been included in this month’s StrideBox.

I opened up this month’s StrideBox right before my planned strength training workout on Tuesday and found a great lower body workout on this month’s workout card. I added my ankle weights, and after 35 minutes was feeling the burn.

Wednesday, July 12th

My one and only gym workout for the week was Wednesday evening.  I cross trained for 30 minutes on the elliptical, and followed it up with a 30 minute full body weight training session.

Thursday, July 13th

Since my dad had been in town for the night, I was able to leave little man at home with him and escape for a solo morning run.  With little man at home with me for the summer, solo weekday runs are a rare treat, so I’m thankful for whenever I’m able to get them in.

Thursday morning’s run was quite peaceful, and it was nice to be able to run by myself.

Friday, July 14th

On Preston and I drove north to State College, Pennsylvania for the weekend for a friend’s wedding.  It was our first weekend away from our little man since he was born (we have only previously left him for one night).  My father-in-law came into town to take care of him at our house, so Friday morning was spent picking him up at the train station, and getting him and little man situated at home before we hit the road.  It was a very busy day, with no time to workout even after we got to State College, as we attended a welcome party with the bride and groom.

Saturday, July 15th

Even though we were out of town, I still had to keep up with marathon training.  The bride knew about this, and a couple of weeks ago was able to forward a couple of running routes to me that she had received from another one of her friends.  I ended up choosing the route that included running at Penn State.  Despite how hilly the route was, the weather was quite beautiful Saturday morning (it was in the low 70s and only 65% humidity during my 14 mile run), which made running the hills a bit more bearable.

With the Penn State Nittany Lion statue during my 14 mile run through campus.

That evening we attended my friend’s wedding.  Preston and I had a blast celebrating with everybody, and didn’t walk back into our hotel room until almost midnight.  It had been a long day, and despite wearing flat sandals during the reception, my legs and feet were very sore from the day’s activities.

Preston and I before the start of the ceremony

Sunday, July 16th

Before leaving State College, we attended the wedding brunch, and then made a stop at the famous Penn State Creamery with a couple of friends.  It was a delicious way to celebrate National Ice Cream day.

We didn’t arrive back home until around 6:00 p.m.  Because we had been away from little man for the weekend, I prioritized spending time with him over anything else.  Even though I hadn’t met my strength training goal for the week, family time last night was much more important.  Today marks the start of a new week, and the opportunity to work towards reaching my goals.

Total Weekly Mileage – 31.19 miles (1.88 miles more than week 5)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 162.36 miles

QOTD: Have you ever completed a long run and attended a wedding in the same day?  How did your body handle all of the activity?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 6

1. kookyrunner says:

Another great week of training for you 🙂 You are a rockstar for doing a long run and attending a wedding the same day! I’m glad that you were able to run on the PSU campus and also go to the creamery the next day (they have the BEST ice cream)!

2. That is great that the bride sent that information to you so you could do your long run. That dress is very pretty.

Usually when I do a long run I try not to plan any other thing to do besides stay at home and recuperate. 🙂

3. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Great job this past week! As you get to the higher mileage runs it’ll be a little scary but so exciting!! I’ve never visited Penn State but I have heard of the creamery…how did I miss that it was National Ice Cream Day?! And I love the photo of you and your husband at the wedding.

I’ve never had a long run the same day as a wedding but I bet my feet would be DONE by the end of the day too – kudos!

4. Marcia says:

Good for you for keeping up with marathon training over a busy wedding weekend! Not easy. Nice week!

5. Rachel says:

I save almost every StrideBox workout so I can go back to them later! They’re so helpful, aren’t they?

I haven’t done anything like that before a wedding. I skipped my run Saturday since I was going to be at a wedding shower, and Saturday morning was spent getting some errands done, and then getting ready. My mom and I were there early to help decorate.

• I’ve moved my runs around before when I’ve helped host a bridal or a baby shower that afternoon. But since I wasn’t a part of the wedding party I had more flexibility and time to still get my run in, even though I knew that my body would be tired.

7. Great job on your weekly mileage and getting in your long run before your friend’s wedding! You are doing great with your marathon training!

8. That’s fantastic that you have already hit 600 miles! You are off to a great start

9. Last year, I finished my 12-hr ultra & had a 4+hr ride home, then got into another car & headed with the hubby (another 4-hr ride) to a family reunion. I wasn’t very good company LOL

10. Well, I haven’t done a long run and then a wedding, but I did attend a Cubs baseball game after one and let me tell you, those bleacher beers were well-deserved!

11. Coco says:

I love how involved the grandfathers are! Little Man is so lucky! And you were lucky to have dairy fresh ice cream on ice cream day! Sounds like a fantastic weekend.

12. Way to get your long run in AND attend the wedding!

13. I’ve never done a long run/wedding but I have had to work post long run. It is hard to be on your feet for a long time, but I think the walking around helped me avoid post run soreness. 14 was my longest run too! Next long run I’ll be doing 15 and I totally agree with you- it’s scary and exciting all at the same time!

14. angela@marathonsandmotivation.com says:

Great job on getting your long run in while out of town! State College is a great town, it must have been a pretty run!! 🙂

15. Nice job on your 14 miler! 70 degree’s sounds perfect for getting into the longer runs in your training. Great job for getting it in on vacation too!
    Oh and the dress you wore to the ceremony, LOVE IT, sooooo cute!!!!

16. I ran my first 20 miler ever the morning of one of my best friend’s weddings…kudos! I know how hard it is. I then got on a plane to SF the next day. Fair to say that I was pretty WRECKED by the time I got off that plane, lol! 🙂

17. Wendy says:

Running a new long distance is such a strange feeling, isn’t it? I always feel funny when I run past 13.1 miles. It’s like crossing some invisible boundary!

You are killing your training–no surprise, you always stay focused on your goals! Great job.

18. Pingback: Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 7 | From Dancing to Running