Chicago Marathon Training Log – Weeks 4 and 5

On October 8th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

The past two weeks have been incredibly busy, as well as productive.  They have included a long weekend out of town with family for the 4th of July, lots of running, and reaching my RMHC fundraising goal!  I am so excited to have the stress of reaching my goal out of the way.  Just because I have reached my goal does not mean that I will stop my fundraising efforts though.

Week 4 Training:

Monday, June 26th

I kicked off my first day of summer break with an evening run.  The weather was absolutely beautiful, and it was the perfect way to celebrate finally being done with the 2016-2017 school year.  Since it was cooler and less humid I was able to push my pace a bit more than I have been able to recently.

As of lunch time on Monday, this teacher was finally on summer break! And I couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful summer evening for my first run of Summer 2017!

Tuesday, June 27th

Little man and I kicked off our first full day of summer break with an almost three mile walk, during which we ran several errands.  I also did 20 minutes of strength training at home that evening.

Wednesday, June 28th

Little man and I enjoyed an absolutely beautiful summer morning.  Since the weather was so nice, I ran for an hour instead of my usual 45 minutes for my weekday runs.

It was a beautiful morning for Mommy to run and little man to nap in his stroller.

Thursday, June 29th

After Preston got home from work I headed to the gym where I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical, followed by a 30 minute full body weight training session.  Although I love being home with my little man, it was nice to have a short break to just focus on me.

Friday, June 30th

Friday was my only rest day for the week.  After such an active week, I knew that I needed to rest my legs for my long run on Saturday.

Saturday, July 1st

Although I had planned to do my eight miler solo, little man had other plans for me.  Since he woke up before 6am, I wound up turning my solo run into a stroller run.  Although the stroller slowed my pace down, I will never regret spending time with my little man, especially outside since he loves being outside just as much as I do.

I had planned to do my run solo, but that plan changed when little man woke up before 6 am. One of the keys to motherhood is definitely flexibility!

Sunday, July 2nd

After my run on Saturday we packed up the car and drove to New Jersey to spend the holiday weekend with my in-laws.  On Sunday we took a day trip to Ocean City, NJ (about an hour away from my father-in-law’s house).  Little man’s nap time offered me the opportunity to get in a long walk on the boardwalk.  I pushed him in the stroller while he napped, and I got in an almost four mile walk.  It was a win-win situation.

Nap time for little man meant that I was able to take an almost 4 mile walk on the boardwalk.

Total Weekly Mileage – 28.82 miles (1.94 miles more than week 3)

Week 5 Training:

Monday, July 3rd

Although I didn’t do any formal training on Monday, we did go to the Philly Zoo for half the day, where I did quite a bit of walking.  While it wasn’t at a brisk pace, I was on my feet for most of the morning and early afternoon.

We enjoyed a fun day at the zoo!

Tuesday, July 4th

I kicked off Independence Day with a five mile run around my father-in-law’s neighborhood.  It felt good to push my pace, run a relatively flat route, and run all sub 10 minute splits.  After my run I did a 30 minutes of strength training.

5 miles to kick off 4th of July

Wednesday, July 5th

We drove home from New Jersey Wednesday morning, and while Preston went to work for half the day little man and I took a two and a half mile walk to and from the grocery store so that we could restock the fridge.

Thursday, July 6th

It was quite rainy and stormy here on Thursday, which left me with no choice but to complete my run on the treadmill at the gym.  Preston and I met up after he was done with work for the day so that I could pass little man off to him, and afterwards I headed to the gym for my run.  I did a progression run on the treadmill, running the last mile in 8:46.  It felt incredible to run fast, which isn’t the norm lately because of the heat and humidity outside.

I did a progression run on the treadmill Thursday evening, and ran my last mile in 8:46!!!

Friday, July 7th

We kicked off our day with a three and a half mile walk around the neighborhood.  Afterwards I did 25 minutes of strength training.

Saturday, July 8th

I had planned to head out the door early for my 12 miler, but wound up getting a late start due to little man wanting to cuddle in bed with me after he woke up.  Although this choice made for a very hot and humid long run, I don’t regret my decision to spend quality time with my little boy.  I finally started my run around 7:30, and the further that I ran the stronger the sun got and the hotter that it got.  Surprisingly, I felt pretty good for the first nine miles, and it wasn’t until the tenth mile when I had to start taking extra walk breaks.  While there were several times when I wanted to give up, I pushed through the heat, humidity, and hills, and finished my 12 miles in 2:07:23 (10:37 pace).  I was drenched in sweat afterwards, but was so glad that I didn’t give up.

Heat ➕humidity ➕hills makes for one very hard long run. There were several times when I wanted to give up, and I’m so glad that I didn’t.

Sunday, July 9th

Church, running errands, and chasing my little man around made up my “rest” day.

Total Weekly Mileage – 29.31 miles (0.49 miles more than week 4)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 131.17 miles

QOTD: Do you usually stay active while away from home, or do you take a break from exercise while traveling?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Weeks 4 and 5

1. As you know, I travel frequently for work so I definitely maintain my training while traveling. I have no choice, lol! Congrats on hitting your fund raising goal!

2. Heather says:

Great weeks of training! And congrats on the fundraising goal 🙂 I try and run while traveling. Exploring a new place on foot is the best, but I don’t make it a priority, especially if it’s a family vacay.

3. kookyrunner says:

Great job on getting in your workouts even while traveling. You are doing great with your training so far!!

4. Oh man, it is tough going out there late in the day when it is already hot and humid but many times there is no other choice. Great job getting it done. I did 12 miles yesterday too and while I was glad it was “only” 12 miles, it was still tough.

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Your training is looking great! Nice job squeezing it all in, I know it isn’t easy to run while on vacation but you try to do the best you can. And that’s a really solid time for your long run considering the heat and humidity!

6. Great job on your long run!
    When I’m on “vacation” I’m usually active anyway so I don’t worry so much about getting my runs in. It is certainly nice to run in new places though!

7. That’s so great that you’re able to take your little man with you on some of your runs. I don’t have kids and I just couldn’t imagine myself balancing work, running, and taking care of a family. Great job! 🙂

Whew, definitely some busy weeks! You did a great job staying active while traveling. I usually stay pretty active when I’m traveling with the exception of when I’m traveling for work. I don’t know why but those trips are so draining and I often end up skipping the workouts.

If it’s vacation, I tend to pack running gear, but I don’t go out of my way to get a workout in. It’s nice if I have a chance, but I like a break from my usual schedule. I usually stay active during a vacation anyway, like 2 weekends ago when I went hiking.

10. Wendy says:

I love to train away from home–I love running in new places. However, marathon training is a different beast. I try to do my long runs before or after I leave–I don’t want to be sore or tired on vacation!

• Oh I hear you. When I put my Chicago training plan together I took our vacation in August into account knowing that I won’t want to spend hours of vacation completing a long run. Needless to say, our week in Antigua will be a cutback week.

11. Summer running at it’s finest! I’m trying to get in a few morning runs before I have to go to work but also loving my long runs on the weekend.

12. Rachel says:

Your little guy is so cute. I love how you log so many workouts together!

13. HoHo Runs says:

I do try to run while travelling. Sometimes, I run more often than I would if I was at home. I hope you enjoy your summer off. That adorable little man is growing up so fast!

14. I try to run while on vacay, too. I usually can get up and out the door and be back before anyone else is awake LOL

15. What a fun couple of weeks! And your little man is so adorable! I don’t blame you for wanting to stick around and cuddle. I’ve slacked of on training while traveling lately. Luckily, I have little travel schedule over the summer as I train for my two upcoming marathons. I’m trying trying trying (!) to stay on track.

16. ilkasblog says:

I love that you took your little son with you on Saturday despite not being able to run as fast. I treasure all those runs I had with my boys when they were little and I pushed them in the jogger! These are memories you never want to miss!!
    …and you still logged in 30 miles this week anyway!! Way to Go!

17. Great couple of weeks! I really love how you get so many of your miles with your little man!

18. Oh he is growing up so fast! It’s great that you are able to do lots of your runs with him. Stroller running is tough

19. MB Jackson says:

You and the little man are keeping very active! Congrats on that fundraising goal! I love to run when I am on vacation but I tend to keep it to 6 miles or less 🙂 although I have never trained for a marathon before- that schedule is brutal! Keep up the great work!

20. Looks like a solid two weeks of training! I am going to train during my vacation in California next week.

21. I try to stay active when I travel. Usually I get at least 3 or 4 runs in. When I go visit my hometown, I try to get to the barre studio I like there for at least one class as well. Looks like you’ve had some good training, even though it’s been so humid! Thanks for linking!

22. You’re doing an awesome job! Thanks for being an inspiration, Kathryn!