July 2017 Goals

I cannot believe that tomorrow marks the halfway point of the year!  This year is just flying by!  Despite how busy I knew that June would be with the usual end of the school year activities, I set ambitious goals for myself and was able to successfully meet most of my goals.

1.  Log at least 100 miles.

Grade: A

My monthly total was 106.6 miles.  Now that marathon training is well underway, I have no doubt that my miles will continue to quickly add up as I work towards my 2017 goal of 1,000 miles.  So far in 2017 I have run, walked, and logged on the elliptical 533.4 miles (53% of the way towards reaching my goal).  As I further progress with marathon training I will reevaluate this goal and consider altering it.

I reached a huge milestone for the year last week when I logged my 500th mile for the year

2.  Strength train at least two times per week.

Grade: A

After a couple of months of working on this goal, I finally met it.  I’ve been able to successfully get to the gym once a week for weight training, and the other times I’ve worked at home on my strength training.  I now have a set of ankle weights and a bosu ball, but there are also plenty of exercises that I can do that don’t require any equipment, some of which I shared here on the blog a couple of months ago.

3.  Cross train at least two times per week.

Grade: A

Now that I am finally out of school on summer break, it is even easier to get my cross training in.  Little man loves going for walks in the stroller, and I hope to walk to run errands at least once a week with him during the summer.

4.  Lose two pounds.

Grade: C

Although I didn’t lose any more weight this past month, I have noticed that some of my clothes continue to fit better.  The shorts and pants that used to feel snug on me don’t feel as tight anymore.  Clearly, strength training is paying off and I’m building muscle, which I keep reminding myself weighs more than fat does.

After a very productive and successful June it is time to up the ante for the coming month.

1.  Log at least 115 miles.

It is very scary to see another triple digit number for my mileage goal.  This past month was the first time that I have ever reached triple digits in a single month, but I know that I can push myself even more, especially as the distance of my long training runs continues to increase.

2.  Strength train at least three times per week.

This goal also scares me, and I know that increasing my strength training goal will take a lot of diligence in order to meet it, but I’m up for the challenge.  Because of time limitations with a toddler, I foresee continuing to do weight training at the gym only once per week so I will focus on increasing my strength training practice at home.

3.  Cross train at least three times per week.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate for me to be able to take little man out for more walks throughout the summer.  And like I mentioned earlier, I hope to focus on walking to run errands at least once per week during the summer, at least during the weeks when we are at home.

4.  Stop obsessing about my weight.

Weight loss is a huge mental game.  I have to keep reminding myself that as I continue to build muscle that muscle weighs more than fat does.  While it can be frustrating to not see the number on the scale go down, the way that my clothes are fitting is a sign that my strength training is working and is paying off.

5.  Enjoy the month’s social activities.

We have a lot on our calendar for the coming month.  From spending time with family to a friend’s wedding to having my sister visit us, July will be anything but boring.  It’ll certainly be a challenge to balance my training with everything else going on, but I want to make sure to fully enjoy all that we will have going on in the coming month.

QOTD: What are your goals for July?

I’m linking up with Ange and Carmy for the Monthly Goals linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

I’m also linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to July 2017 Goals

1. Great job on your mileage! I ran 115 miles in June and am very happy about it. I also want to make more of an effort to strength and cross train.

2. kookyrunner says:

Love all of your goals for July! I am also currently struggling with my weight loss, but I’ve made the decision to really focus on meal planning in July to help me make smarter choices next month.

3. Elle says:

Awesome job on your goals. Losing weight is hard when training for longer events cause you are so hungry all the time… well, I am anyway! But strength training is great for losing fat and building muscle… glad you have decided not to obsess. Have a great 2nd half of the year.

4. Good job on your June goals! Have fun in July!

5. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congrats on your first triple digit month! It sounds like marathon training is going well – I look forward to following. You did a great job on your goals – I definitely don’t spend enough time strength training. It looks like you’re going to kick things up a notch in July and I know you’ll do great!

Great job on those goals for June! I love that the July goals include enjoying social activities for the month. The Summer always seems to fly by and it’s hard to remember to enjoy it while it lasts 🙂

7. Nice job this June! I didn’t set any goals for the month but I did get a lot of stuff done around the house so I feel like it has been productive.

8. Great job on all of your June goals. You’ll hit 1000 miles no problem this year. In July, I’ll be focusing on writing my dissertation and my marathon training. 🙂

9. Alaina @ thesimplepeach says:

You are definitely in a great position to hit your goals for July! I think we all focus way too much on our weight. All that strength training is going to make you so strong. Who cares what the scale says?! You got this!

10. NoSanchez says:

Great job meeting your goals (even the weightloss goal) July goals look intense!!!

I think tomorrow will be a good time to start up cardio again. I need to work on my cadence this summer, so that it my one additional goal for the month. I need to start getting that in my head for when I do start training in September.

12. Rachel says:

Great goals for July! And congrats on hitting your June ones, too.

13. Wendy says:

I think you are doing great!!! I have no goals for July except to just keep on running!

14. I think you should give yourself an A on the weight loss goal. If your clothes are fitting better, you are probably building muscle as you lose fat. Don’t focus on the number on the scale!

15. Mary says:

I like the ‘stop obsessing with my weight.’ I have gotten a Bod Pod done a number of times. It’s air displacement weighing– like water weighing but cheaper and easier. Gives you good numbers for lean mass and fat mass. I think it’s better data than using a scale. Good luck meeting your new goals! For July I’m going to go on a three day kayak paddle. I’m going to continue skating most days of the week and keep working on my juvenile moves. And I’m going to keep doing my PT exercises for my back (mostly at the gym) and some arm exercises.

16. tonee78 says:

Looks like you is an awesome month!! Don’t obsess about your weight, as long as you feel good that is what matters!

Great job in June! I have no doubt you will crush those July goals!

18. Nice job on you mileage! I’ve yet to sort out my July goals but now that I’m back from a mini vacation with my family I can get a little more focused.