Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 3

On October 8th I will be running the Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  Please consider visiting my fundraising page and supporting this worthy cause.  Thanks!

Another busy week has come and gone, but despite how busy it was with wrapping up the school year (I will finally be on summer break as of this afternoon!), I was incredibly motivated to train and wound up only taking one rest day last week.  Only one!  I cannot remember the last time that happened, or if that has ever happened before.

Monday, June 19th

I had hoped to kick off the week with a training run, but the weather dictated otherwise.  Since I didn’t have time to drive to the gym, I instead did a 25 minute strength training workout at home.

Tuesday, June 20th

After some strong thunderstorms came through our area Monday afternoon and evening, Tuesday’s weather wound up being absolutely beautiful.  Not only was the temperature back in the 80s, but the humidity was also noticeably lower, so I was excited to head out for a run when I got home from work.  During my run there was also a cool breeze, and I was able to maintain a sub 10 minute pace for the first time in two weeks.  After struggling with running in intense summer weather, I felt like I was flying during Tuesday’s run.

Thanks to the lower humidity and cool breeze during Tuesday’s run, I was able to maintain a sub 10 minute pace for the first time in two weeks!

Wednesday, June 21st

After work I headed to the gym where I got in a really great workout.  It was one of those workouts where I left the gym feeling sore, so I know that I worked really hard during my 35 minutes on the elliptical and my 35 minutes of full body weight training.

Thursday, June 22nd

After a brief break from the high heat and humidity, they both returned in full force on Thursday.  Another air quality alert day led to me admitting to myself that it would be best for me to complete my run on the treadmill.  So it was off to the gym that I went.

The heat and humidity won today, and I ran on the treadmill for the first time in I can’t remember how long. Despite feeling like I wasn’t running anywhere, it did feel good to run fast tonight!

Thursday’s run was also monumental, because I ran my 500th mile of the year!  I am well on my way to reaching 1,000 miles this year.

My mileage goal for the year is 1,000 miles and on Thursday I hit the halfway point of my goal!!! It feels so good to be ahead of pace for this goal!

Friday, June 23rd

My one and only rest day of the week was on Friday.  It was well deserved.

Saturday, June 24th

Since we had a busy Saturday planned, I knew that I had to head out the door extremely early for my long run.  By 6:30 a.m. I was in the middle of my first mile of my long run.  I don’t think I have ever run that early on a Saturday, unless it was during a race, but for multiple reasons I am so glad that I complete my run early.  Not only was it nice to run with the temperature in the high 60s/low 70s, but it was also nice to not have the sun beating down on me until the very end of my run.  It felt great to be able to push myself during a long run, and all of my splits were sub 10:30.  My faster mile was my 10th mile, which I ran in 9:32!

I felt great after running a strong ten miler on Saturday! After a couple weeks of slower runs, it was so nice to be able to push my pace in the cooler air on Saturday.

Sunday, June 25th

My little family kicked off our Sunday with a three and a half mile family walk, after which I spent 30 minutes doing strength training.  It was a great way to end my training for the week.

Total Weekly Mileage – 26.88 miles (4.02 miles more than week 2)

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 73.04 miles

QOTD: What was one training highlight for you last week?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 3

1. kookyrunner says:

Congrats on hitting 500 miles for the year!

Looks like another awesome week of training for the Chicago Marathon! I love that you were able to fit in multiple strength training sessions this week as well.

2. Wendy says:

You are on your way! Nice week of training. Even though training in the heat is tough, you will be well prepared for whatever conditions Chicago decides to throw at you on marathon day. My 3 marathons were warm–just sayin’….

Congrats on hitting 500 miles! The cooler, less humid mornings we had last week were so nice 🙂

4. Farrah says:

Great job on your training thus far and holyyy crud, 500 miles!!! Super congrats to you! :]!

Yay for summer break! I was also sore after my strength training session on Saturday, and felt it a little bit yesterday. It’s always a good sign.

6. Yay! Congrats on hitting your 500th mile! I also hit mine a few days ago so I’m stoked to be on my way to 1000. 🙂 Have a great training week!

7. angelilli016 says:

Strong week of workouts! Have you run the Chicago marathon before? Congrats on hitting your halfway mileage goal this week!

8. You had a great week! Aren’t those early morning miles fun? 😉

9. Yay for officially being on summer break! I rarely get out to run that early but when I do it feels so good and I never regret it!

10. Rachel says:

Great job with your workouts! You’ll definitely get that 1,000 mile milestone for sure.

11. Congrats on running 500 miles! For sure you’ll get to 1,000 this year. I am glad you are finally out for the summer. I am a teacher too and my last day was June 6th and go back August 21st.

It isn’t the greatest but being out there early in the morning is the best way to deal with the heat. You are done early enough before it gets too hot.

12. Great job getting those runs in. I really had a hard time with the heat last week. Today was great though!

13. Ha – the difference between running in the morning and the afternoon…Tuesday was SUPER humid at 6am when I ran – and Thursday felt much better. 🙂 Great week, lady!

14. Sounds like a great training week, despite the crazy start weather-wise. 15 weeks and counting!

15. 500 miles! That definitely calls for some celebration. Great job gal!

16. Coco says:

Wow, congrats on the 500 mile mark! That’s impressive. And, yeah for summer vacation!

17. Congrats on your 500th mile! I’m an early morning long runner. I’m hoping to get back into week day morning runs but it’s hard when my.husband works shift work and we have two girls to take to school etc.

18. MB Jackson says:

Congrats on hitting the 500 mile mark! and time to enjoy summer! That 10 mile long run would have put a big smile on my face- great job!

19. Angela says:

Congrats on 500!!…and on an awesome training week!

20. Awesome job, 500 miles! You are definitely going to hit 1,000 and then some, especially as the weeks increase with your marathon training!
    Great pace for your 10 miler too!
    80’s to run in sound pretty good. I got really hot today during my morning run for the first time and I would really like some 80’s.. I may have to start getting up earlier (yikes) LOL

21. Your weeks was awesome! I always find your stories inspiring!

22. Alaina @ thesimplepeach says:

Happy to hear you are running for RMHC! I’ve ran Chicago the last two years with them and the whole experience was incredible both times. You are doing great for only being 3 weeks into training 🙂