Running during the summer is far from easy, and I was very much reminded of that this past week. On Monday, I had to cut my training run short because of the heat. My body had a very difficult time adjusting while I was running, and at the 5k point I decided to listen to my body and stop running, and walk the rest of the way home.
Today’s Friday Five topic is Summer Running Tips, and I’ve shared a couple posts in the past on this topic (you can check them out here and here). I’ve also shared tips on how to stay motivated to run during the summer. So instead of repeating myself, I thought that I would instead share five places that I am looking forward to running this summer.
1. While I am home with little man this summer, I am hoping that on at least a couple of occasions I will be able to take him running in the BOB stroller to see some of my favorite D.C. sights. When we lived closer to the city, I loved being able to park at Gravelly Point near the airport and run along the Potomac River on the Mt. Vernon Trail. Although that it is now almost a 45 minute drive from our house, I’m hoping to be able to make a run along that trail happen at least once this summer.
2. Next month we will be in State College, PA for a friend’s wedding. The day of the wedding my marathon training plan calls for a 14 mile long run. Although the bride isn’t a runner, one of her bridesmaids is, and she is also familiar with the area. Her other friend has shared with me a couple of possible running routes, and I’m looking forward to exploring a brand new area while out on my run.
3. Next month little man and I will also be headed up to northern New Jersey to meet my parents at my grandfather’s house. He passed away back in January, and my parents are in the process of cleaning out his house and preparing it to go on the market. I ran there last summer when we visited my grandfather, and am well aware of how hilly the neighborhood is. Although I know that running there will be a challenge, I’m looking forward to a couple of last runs around his neighborhood.
4. We will be headed to my parents’ house in Illinois later this summer. I always look forward to our visits there for numerous reasons, including how flat the terrain in Illinois is. I have a 16 mile long run planned for while we’re there, and I’m looking forward to completing it on the trail that runs through town.
5. I am also looking forward to when Preston and I head to Antigua for a week long vacation in August. I absolutely love anything and everything that has to do with running at the beach. And although it doesn’t look like a lengthy run will be possible without completing it on the treadmill at the resort gym, I am looking forward to logging however many miles I can at the beach and running around the resort.
QOTD: Where are you looking forward to running this summer?