Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 1

As you may recall, the Chicago Marathon will be my first full marathon.  I decided to make training for and running my first marathon about more than just the physical running, and will be running Chicago as a member of Team Ronald McDonald House Charities.  I am currently more than 90% of the way towards reaching my initial fundraising goal.  I hope to reach my initial goal soon so that I can increase my goal and continue to raise funds for an incredibly worthy cause.

This past week was the kick off to my marathon training.  It was an exciting week filled with lots of highs on the fitness front.  I can only hope that the success and excitement from this past week will continue on for the next 17 weeks, especially as my mileage increases and I move closer to race day.

Monday, June 5th

I kicked off marathon training with a 45 minute run on one of my usual running routes.  Even with the high humidity, I am still amazed that I ran a sub 10:00 pace.  The humidity made it incredibly difficult to maintain consistent splits (they ranged from 9:28-10:04), but being on the high of kicking off marathon training made that not matter to me at all.

One very humid run later (so humid that the end of my ponytail was wet!) and I could officially say that I’ve started training for my first marathon!

Tuesday, June 6th

My sister had been in town, and since Tuesday evening was her last night here I decided to take the day off from any training to be able to maximize my time with her.  We ordered sushi for dinner (getting take out on a weeknight is a huge rarity for us), and we enjoyed our time together.

Wednesday, June 7th

I celebrated Global Running Day with my second training run of the week.  The temperature and humidity were much lower than they had been Monday evening, which allowed for me to run at a much faster pace.  Compared to Monday’s run, I felt like I had been flying!

Lower temps and lower humidity allowed for a very speedy run on Global Running Day.

Thursday, June 8th

After work I headed to the gym for a cross training and weight training session, where I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by 30 minutes of full body weight training.

Friday, June 9th

Since it was the day before my long run for the week, and my lower body was sore from the previous day’s workout, I took the day off from training.

Saturday, June 10th

My first long run of marathon training was a huge reality check of what summer running involves.  Although the distance of my run was far from my current personal distance record (I only ran a 10k), the blazing sun, coupled with pushing the BOB stroller on a route with rolling hills, made for a very challenging run.  The further that I ran, the slower my pace became, and towards the end of my run I had to take more frequent walk breaks.  I only had two splits that were over 11 minutes long, and for such a challenging run I’ll consider that a success.  I finished up the run with a 1.15 mile walk.

I forgot how hard long runs in the summer are, especially on routes with rolling hills. But at least I had my little running buddy with me to help cheer me on!

Sunday, June 11th

Little man and I walked to run errands in the morning (well I walked, he rode in the stroller).  Thank goodness the basket underneath of the BOB holds a lot, since we bought quite a few groceries while we were out during our more than 3 mile walk.

Total Weekly Mileage – 23.30 miles

Total Chicago Marathon Mileage – 23.30 miles

QOTD: How do you mentally handle the challenge of training for a race during the summer?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  I’m also linking up with Courtney for the Training Recap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Chicago Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 1

1. kookyrunner says:

You had a great first week of training for your 1st marathon – congrats! When I was training for my first marathon last year, my coach gave me a great piece of advice. She told me to just focus on the week that I was in, and not to look too far ahead. It decreases the likelihood of freaking out at the higher mileage weeks!

2. Woohoo for week 1 in the books!! So exciting!

3. Good luck with your training! Summer marathon training isn’t easy, but it will be so rewarding when the temps start to drop. Last summer I did everything possible to run really early. I typically started at 6 to avoid the heat, and ran a lot on a shaded trail!

4. Good week to kick off training! Question: when you tally your miles do you count miles other than running? Do you keep a separate tally of running miles so you know how many miles you actually ran? Or do you prefer to lump it all together? I’m curious because I’m assuming your plan gives you mileage totals based on running – do you just make sure to hit the running number and the rest are “bonus” miles?

• I keep track of all of my miles (running, walking, and elliptical) in order to get a picture of my entire training, running and cross training. In RunKeeper, I am able to sort my mileage out into different activity types to be able to see just my running miles, walking miles, etc. And I do exactly what you asked – I make sure to hit my “running” miles number and then the other miles are bonus miles.

• Makes sense! I never track walking, but I think it’d be interesting. I walk a TON in a given week and it does have some affect on your legs. So interesting!

5. NoSanchez says:

Keep up the good work.

6. Yay for Week 1!!! It was week one for me too!! #wegotthis

I love that you’re fundraising for TeamRMHC. That was the first charity I ran for and it was for Chicago too! ❤

7. Our weather has definitely changed lately! It’s so tough to adjust to the humidity and I think you just have to pay less attention to pace.

8. Training in the summer is HARD! I only ran 4 miles outside over the weekend. It was 85 degrees, and it was TOUGH. I have a feeling I’m going to be doing a lot on the treadmill this summer. Even the nights in Texas are hot!

9. What a fabulous Week 1!!! What an exciting time – training for your first marathon. So happy for you. Best of luck!

I trained for my December 2013 in the summer, and actually ended up training too early. Between the extreme heat and too early training, I got burned out and was more than happy to be done with my half.

11. One of the main things that helped me stay focused \was the knowledge that most of the training runs (other than speed work) were meant to be fairly “easy-paced.” It seemed like a strange concept the first time I heard it, but it made total sense the more I thought about it. Trying to run every run faster than necessary was self-defeating, and (not surprisingly) I had more injuries. Go figure LOL

• Its a hard mental shift, that’s for certain. I’m trying to remind myself of similar things that I said to myself when I trained for my first half: that the main focus needs to be on crossing the finish line, no matter what my pace winds up being.

12. Lisa says:

Great job with your first week of training! Its so tough to adjust to the humidity. Its been awhile since I trained in it, but I just try to get out as early as I can in the morning. And just remember how training in the humidity will help you on race day when its (hopefully) much cooler!

13. Summer running is quite a beast. Unfortunately, we really can’t avoid it, so we just put our heads down, set the alarm extra early, hydrate often, and go for it.

I hope the training goes a little more easily, but just remember that it will all be good on race day. you’ve got this!

14. Coco says:

It sounds like you are off to a good start. My only tip for summer running is to start early and pick a shady route. I also think you get used to it to some extent.

15. Sounds like a great first week of training! Running in the heat is tough so I usually run early in the mornings. Great job especially pushing a stroller! That is tough!

16. Wendy says:

Nice start to the training! Yep, it’s tough training for a fall marathon in the summer heat. I did a lot of pre-dawn runs, which I actually came to enjoy! It’s fun to see the sun come up!

17. Rachel says:

Woohoo! Great first week of training!!! Summer running is my favorite so can’t help you with that… ;)~

18. Great week! Summer running in the heat can be hard! If I can get in an early morning run, I’ll do that but usually I have to wait until the evening to beat the heat. Mentally, the heat can really take a toll your run and make you feel like your not going as fast. Take it one run at a time!

19. MCM Mama says:

Good job on the runs. I’ve spent this week just trying to acclimate to the weather – I haven’t been able to go out any time other than mid day, so they’ve been slow and short.

20. That’s awesome you are training for your first marathon and that it will be THE Chicago Marathon! Can’t wait to follow your training! Great job on week one!

What a way to kick off marathon training! Great job this week! I also love that your stores/shops are so close you can walk there!

22. Clarinda says:

I’m so excited for you! You’re off to a great start (great job on your fundraising goal!), and I hope that you enjoy the remaining 17 weeks of training. There will be days and runs that are tough, of course, but overall take the time to enjoy the training. It will make race day that much sweeter. 🙂

23. michellerogerscpt says:

As much as I love summer and warm weather, when it comes to exercise I just don’t do well in the heat. I work out in the early morning anyway, so if I’m going to be out there it’s around sunrise and I love it then. It’s getting hot & humid here in NC! Have a great rest of the week 🙂

24. That’s awesome you’re at 90% of your goal for fundraising!
    I think Chicago would be an awesome first marathon, I’m so excited to see how you like the distance! Knowing you and how well you train, you’ll likely do quite well!!!

25. Congrats on your fundraising goal! Keep up the good work, girl! 😉

26. Amy says:

Week 1 of Chicago marathon training starts for me TOMORROW! Love the encouragement 🙂

27. I think it’s great that you decided to document your experience. Great article!

28. gorunhussell says:

Nice first week! We live in a hot spot too. Weather in the 90’s, occasionally 100’s. I try to run in the morning to beat the heat, but your body can acclimate to heat too, just make sure you’re hydrating enough 🙂 good luck with your first marathon!

29. Congrats on Chicago being your FIRST marathon!!!

I started my Chicago training this week and it is going to be a tough cycle with the heat and humidity in FL!!

Jodi