Let Marathon Training Begin!

Today is a day that I’ve been highly anticipating since back in October when I first registered for the Chicago Marathon: it is the official kickoff to my marathon training!  I have so many thoughts and feelings about starting to train for my first marathon: I’m excited, I’m scared, I’m nervous, I’m anxious, the list goes on.  But one thing is for certain: after running 13 half marathons I’m ready to take on this new challenge.

I’ll be using an 18 week training plan, which combines aspects of plans from Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon, and Coach Brendan.  I’ve had to make some adjustments and modifications, particularly to some of the long run distances, because of activities on our summer and early fall calendar.  We will be traveling quite a bit this summer, and while some places we’re going to are very running friendly, and I shouldn’t have any major obstacles to getting my planned runs in, other locations will be more challenging.

Next month we will be in Pennsylvania for a wedding, so I will be running in unfamiliar territory, though I’m thankful that the bride is working with another friend who is familiar with the area to help me plot out a running route for my long run the day of the wedding.  Preston and I will be out of the country for a week in August to celebrate our anniversary, so again I’ll be running in unfamiliar territory.  Thankfully, the resort we’re staying at looks to have a well equipped and maintained gym, so I foresee lots of treadmill running in my future for that week.  I have joined a “Fans of the Resort” group on Facebook, and asked last week about places to run, and while most people who responded said that paths at the resort aren’t great for running more than a couple of miles, I’ve read nothing but positive feeding about the condition of the treadmills.  We have other travel plans as well, so one of my biggest challenges this summer will be keeping up with my training plan in the midst of also being away from home.

Despite all of the challenges, I’m incredibly excited to be running with Team RMHC and to run in memory of my friend Tammy (pictured third from the left in our Sophomore Homecoming picture above).  When I started considering potential first marathons to run, I knew that I wanted for it to be a meaningful experience, so when I came across the opportunity to run for Ronald McDonald House Charities, I knew that I had to jump at the opportunity.  You can read more about why I chose to run with Team RMHC here, and you can visit my fundraising page here.  I would greatly appreciate any and all support for RMHC, and remember, no donation is too small.

I do plan to run some races while training, which will help me in the motivation department for some of the very long runs.  While my summer and early fall race calendar is still quite tentative, some of the races that I might possibly be running include:

August 20th – Leesburg 20k
September 3rd – Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon
September 17th – Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon

I cannot wait to get home from work today and kick off my training with a run this afternoon!

QOTD: What new challenges have you recently taken on?

Thanks to Deb for hosting the Race Linkup.  Be sure to check out her post for more race ideas.

This entry was posted in Races, Training and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Let Marathon Training Begin!

1. kookyrunner says:

I like that you are already thinking ahead about how to tackle some of your runs while you are traveling. I also have some races built into my training planning, including RnR Philly (hope to see you there)!

2. Hanna @ minimal marathoner says:

Yay so exciting! I just started Chicago training today, too! I can’t believe it’s here already. I’m looking forward to following everyone’s training this summer!

Try not to stress too much about not being able to run as much while traveling. Missing a few runs here and there is not going to hurt your training that much. During my last marathon training I took an entire 10 days off to travel and I was fine. Cutback weeks are part of training anyway, so just consider your travel to less run-friendly places as your cutbacks 🙂

3. You have a fun race schedule coming up!

4. Exciting times for you!!!! I don’t know if I can commit the time to training for a full – that’s keeping me from signing up and training for a full. Right now I’m focusing on my upcoming half in two weeks.

Sounds like a great plan, and good luck! I tend to take things easy when I travel, but I do take advantage of hotel fitness rooms if I need to.

6. Clarinda says:

How exciting to start training for your first marathon! I’m sure you’ll make it work with all of your travel this summer.

7. You will love Chicago marathon! It was my first marathon too.

8. Elle says:

I think it is wonderful that you are combining your first marathon with a charity event in honor of your friend. Fun to run in new places. Enjoy your Summer! Sounds very fun.

9. Coco says:

All our planning will pay off! Even if you have to adjust your plan it sounds like you will be in great shape!

10. Rachel says:

I had a week vacation in the middle of MCM training last year. It messed with me a little bit but in the grand scheme of things it was just one week so no biggie. Plus I was staying active. Just not logging serious mileage.

11. Wendy says:

I’m really excited that you are going to run my favorite marathon! I’m here for you if you have any logistical questions!

12. Marcia says:

All the best with your training for Chi! I’ve run it twice and will be at mile 13 cheering for you. I share your issues with marathon training and travel this summer. I expect to spend lots of quality treadmill time in Dubai and the Greek Isles.

13. Training for a first marathon is very similar to being pregnant with your first child….exciting and scary, with lots of unanswered questions (that will have a plethora of answers depending on who you ask). But it’s also a time to cherish because you will never again do it for “the first time.” Embrace the entire journey 😉

Yay, I’m excited to follow along with your marathon training! That’s interesting that your plan is a mix from various training plans. How did you alter the existing plans or decide what to do?

15. jljohnson says:

I start my marathon training in August, so I’ll be here to compare notes with you then. It will be my first one too!! 🙂 I believe in you!! 🙂

16. Ack! Have so much fun on your trip!
    I know you’re going to do great getting in all your training while traveling. And you’re going to have a great marathon 🙂
    Just keep on doing what you’re doing and it will all be great!

17. Good luck! I just signed up for my first full over the weekend (RnR SD next June). Since you’re considering a couple RnRs, check out the sales tomorrow for Global Running Day! 🙂

18. joteach5 says:

For myself…as long as I can find 2 miles of road… I can do it over and over for even an 8 mile run. I live in a neighborhood that is only 4 miles of roads with tons of cul de sacs. I’ve run that before 5 times for a 20 miler. Just know that you do what you have to to get by. Running on vacation can be fun to explore.

19. Good luck with your marathon training, how exciting. I hope to run Chicago one day!

20. michelle says:

Chicago looks like an amazing place to run! Haven’t been there yet but it’s definitely on my want-to-do list. Enjoy your training!

21. Planning is key! I remember last season during my NYC Marathon training, I had a XC meet in PA and had to also get my run in somehow. I emailed the coaches ahead of time to let them know I’d be out running while my team ran the course with them. I’m sure people think runners are crazy sometimes, I know my fiance is like, “do you reall yHAVE to run??” I’m like yes!!

22. Pingback: Friday Five – Tips for Training While on Vacation | From Dancing to Running

23. Pingback: 2017 ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Recap | From Dancing to Running