I’ve Run 50 Races!

Monday was a monumental day.  Not only did I secure a new 10k PR for myself at the Ringing in Hope 10k (which I will recap once I receive my race photos), but it was also the 50th race that I have run since I started running back in 2013.  For somebody who thought that they were not cut out to be a runner, I am quite proud of having run as much as I have over the past four years.  And I’m excited to celebrate this milestone by running my 51st race, and 13th half marathon, tomorrow morning at ZOOMA Annapolis.

Over the past four years I have run:

12 half marathons
1 20k
3 ten milers
11 10ks
2 8ks
19 5ks
2 three milers

In addition to the races that I have run, I have also walked an additional two.

Since I love taking trips down memory lane I thought that it would be fun to recognize some of my most significant race experiences.

Most Memorable Race: Disney World Half Marathon – January 2014

Not only was the Disney World Half my first half marathon, but it was also my goal race when I first set my sights on starting to run.  Preston ran the entire race with me (he ran the race as part of the inaugural Dopey Challenge), and I will never forget holding his hand as we crossed the finish line together.

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon in January 2014.
Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Most Challenging Race: Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon – March 2017

Rock ‘n’ Roll DC is well known for its challenging course.  But that is not why I’m recognizing it as my most challenging race to date.  The weather for this year’s race was downright brutal, with the temperature in the 20s during most of the race, and the wind chill in the teens.  I am not a fan of the cold to begin with, and running a race in such cold air was definitely a test of my endurance.

Trying to warm up post race

Most Rewarding Race: ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon – June 2016

ZOOMA Annapolis was the first half marathon that I fully ran after giving birth to my son.  At just over five months postpartum, I took to the hilly streets of Annapolis on an incredibly hot and humid morning.  I could not believe how strong I felt throughout the race, and that I managed to PR that morning.  My hard work and persistence during my postpartum recovery definitely paid off that morning.

After crossing the finish line at ZOOMA Annapolis last June

Most Fun Race: Wine and Dine Half Marathon – November 2016

When I run races at Disney World, I run them with zero time goals in mind, and 100% focus on having fun.  Preston and I had a blast running Wine and Dine last year, and stopped at almost every photo opportunity along the course.

With the Genie
Photo Credit: Disney PhotoPass

Most Proud of Finishing: Shamrock Half Marathon – March 2015 and Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon – October 2015

Each of these races was challenging for very different reasons.  I ran Shamrock less than two months after a major car accident that left my car totaled and me with a back injury.  But I pushed through, and with the support of the chiropractor that I started seeing after the car accident managed to still train for Shamrock.  Despite the back pain that I had during the race, I still managed to cross the finish line upright, and with a new PR.

After finishing the Shamrock Half Marathon

I ran/walked Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly at 32 weeks pregnant.  Completing all 13.1 miles at RnRPhilly is one of the most physically challenging things that I have ever done.  My pace slowed significantly the further that I ran/walked, but I did it.  The baby and I earned our medal that day!

After completing Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly at 32 weeks pregnant

QOTD: What race are you most proud of having finished?

I’m linking up for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup.  Many thanks to the wonderful ladies at Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for hosting!

This entry was posted in Milestones, Races and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to I’ve Run 50 Races!

1. Wow! You go girl! 😘

2. kookyrunner says:

Congratulations! It’s always fun to walk down memory lane and re-live some of your racing highlights. Congrats again on your new 10K PR!

3. Coco says:

Wow! What an accomplishment! I have no idea how many I’ve run. I’ll have to figure it out!

Congratulations, Kathryn! You’ve had a lot of really fun and challenging race experiences under your belt! Great job!! 🙂

5. Love this post! Congratulations on reaching 50! Wow!

6. Hanna @ minimal marathoner says:

Congrats!

7. I love this post and how you mentioned so many favorites for so many reasons! My first race ever was the Chicago Marathon in 2013. I had never run before that (not even a 5K), so that race will always hold a special place in my heart!

Princess holds a special place in my heart since it was my first half, but Tink is also special since it marked the beginning of my comeback. It wasn’t perfect, but I did it without much pain, and proved that I can keep going.

9. Congrats on all your races! 50 races in 4 years is quit an accomplishment. I think the most one I am proud at is Chicago 2015 when I qualified for Boston. You are going to love that Marathon. I think it is a great first one. Very flat and fast course! And the spectators are awesome!

10. It’s fun to look back on all the races run isn’t it? Good luck at Zooma tomorrow looks like a gorgeous day ahead

Great look back at your races, and congrats on reaching 50!

12. C. P. says:

Wow 50 that’s a amazing accomplishment, congratulations!

13. hanzelboyzmama says:

I loved this post. Looks like you’ve got some great medals too! and 50 races. That’s incredible! I wish I could race more!.

14. Marcia says:

Congrats on the milestone and have a blast at Zooma this weekend!

15. Congrats on all of those milestones!

16. Wendy says:

My favorite race of yours was the one you did while pregnant! It was fun to follow your training and see you do it!

For me–I couldn’t pick just one race that I was most proud of. My 2d Chicago marathon was such a redemption race, my 3rd was one that I pushed through feeling really bad and salvaged it with a great finish time, and Big Sur I ran with minimal training and a lot of heart. And then there are the halfs–every one of them is special for one reason or another. I do love to run!

17. SuzLyfe says:

This is awesome! So many incredible memories!

18. Rachel says:

How exciting! Congrats on your 50th!!

19. Congrats on your 50th! Definitely some great memories to look back on. Hope Zooma goes well this weekend!

20. Clarinda says:

50 races is impressive! Congrats and good luck at 51! Thanks for sharing these memorable races. Sounds like you’ve had some great experiences – some more challenging than the others.

21. Elaine says:

Congrats on 50 races! The race I am most proud of finishing? NYC Marathon 2014 – I took a 5yr break after running Boston in 2009 because I had my girls and was so emotional when I crossed the finish line because how proud I was of being able to run a marathon again.

22. Well done! You are so motivational and inspirational!