June 2017 Goals

As I shared in Monday’s post, the month of May has been an incredibly busy one.  Between it being testing season at school, knowing that Preston would be out of the country for work, and needing to take a mental and physical break from training before I start marathon training at the beginning of June, I set my goals for May accordingly.  And even with May being a busy month, it was also a very productive and successful month on the fitness front.

1.  Log at least 60 miles.

Grade: A++++

Looking back to a month ago when I set this goal for myself, I realize that I completely underestimated my abilities.  As of last night, my May mileage is sitting at 88.7 miles.  Regardless of whether I exercise this afternoon or not, I am ecstatic that I crushed my mileage goal for the month.  For the year, I’m currently at 426.8 miles, which is 43% of the way towards meeting my 2017 goal of 1,000 miles.  I’m starting to wonder if I have underestimated my mileage capacity for the year, and whether I’ll need to alter my 2017 mileage goal.

2.  Strength train at least two times per week.

Grade: B

Every week except for last week I successfully met this goal.  Last week I only made it a priority to strength train once.  However, there were a couple of weeks when I exceeded my goal and found time for three strength training sessions.

3.  Cross train at least two times per week.

Grade: A

Every week during the month I cross trained at least twice, if not three times, per week.  About half of the time my cross training was done on the elliptical at the gym, the other half consisted of taking little man for a walk.

We love our evening walks together!

4.  Lose 4 pounds.

Grade: C

Of my four goals for May, this one was the hardest goal for me.  Two weeks ago I shared how loosing weight isn’t just a physical challenge, its also an emotional one.  Although I only lost two of the four pounds that I attempted to loose, I am noticing that some of my clothes are fitting better.  I also know that I’ve gained muscle over the past month.  Progress is progress, even if I am not seeing the number on the scale that I want to see.

June is going to be an incredibly exciting month.  Not only will I be kicking off marathon training next week, but June will also mark the end of the current school year.  I am so excited about being home for the summer with my little man, but that doesn’t mean that I can let all of the excitement distract me from staying on track with my fitness.

1.  Log at least 100 miles.

Seeing a triple digit mileage goal is incredibly scary.  I have yet to reach a triple digit mileage total for a month, but I know that marathon training will push me to reach new mileage totals, and I’m excited to see how my body handles the increased mileage.

2.  Strength train at least two times per week.

I want to maintain this goal for another month.  As my marathon training progresses and the mileage increases, it will be more important than ever to keep my body strong in order to help prevent injury.

3.  Cross train at least two times per week.

Just like with strength training, cross training will be increasingly important as my weekly mileage increases.

4.  Lose 2 pounds.

I am determined to loose the last of the weight that I tried to loose in May.  Hopefully I’ll finally see the success that I was after this past month.

QOTD: What are your goals for June?

I’m linking up with Ange and Carmy for the Monthly Goals linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to June 2017 Goals

1. I wanted to lose about 2-3 pounds before swimsuit season but sadly I never bought a scale to keep track…lol. Good luck with your goals!

2. kookyrunner says:

I also have a goal to lose a few pounds and you are so right, it’s a physical and mental challenge. I’m hoping to do better on that goal next month.

3. wow 100 miles does sound like a lot of miles but seems like you are in a good place right now to handle it. Good luck!

4. SuzLyfe says:

Go and get those miles, lady! I was hoping to keep up with my yoga this past month, but my SI joint wasn’t liking it as much as I was…

5. Wendy says:

I’m excited for you to kick off marathon training! I think once you get started, you won’t find it so hard to hit 100 miles for the month. What plan are you following?

• I’ve modified aspects of a couple of plans (Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon, and Coach Brendan) to fit my summer and early fall schedule. Since we’re going on vacation in August, I had to be realistic about what I can expect to do while we’re in Antigua.

Good luck starting marathon training! My goal for June is to take it easy now that my 10k is done. I’ll sign up for my next race, but I don’t have much planned for this month.

Wow, great job on getting all those miles in May when it was such a busy month! Those are some ambitious goals for June but it sounds like you can definitely reach them 🙂 Good luck with marathon training! I’m looking forward to following along.

8. Mary says:

If you are gaining muscle you could easily have already lost 4# of fat. You could check it out with water weighing or a bod pod (air displacement weighing). Sounds like you are definitely making progress, congrats! (BTW, I’m don’t want to be obnoxious, but you might want to fix your spelling– it’s lose not loose).

9. I need to get my June goals on paper…haven’t even thought about those yet LOL I’m excited to follow your progress on the road to your marathon! Have fun!

Awesome job during the month of May! I know you’re excited for summer! 🙂

11. C. P. says:

Run more miles and be more active part of my june goals!

12. Rachel says:

Sounds like you had a great May and an even better June on tap!

13. Great job in May, and awesome goals for June! I too will start marathon training next month…it’s intimidating!

14. ilkasblog says:

That’s an awesome report card for the month of May. I love how many more miles you logged in than initially planned plus all the cross training! Way to go!

15. hanzelboyzmama says:

Loosing weight for me is an emotional one. I have an addictive relationship with food. Great month! Good luck with your June training!

16. Clarinda says:

Way to crush your May mileage goal! You’ll do great with the triple-digit goal in June, especially with the start of marathon training.

17. MB Jackson says:

Good luck kicking off marathon training! Sounds like you are ready and ready to enjoy the summer break! I am looking forward to Utah and then fewer miles! 🙂

18. tonee78 says:

I can’t believe its in early already! Good luck on all your goals!!!

19. Pingback: June 2017 Goals – Run Like It's Midnight

20. Hanna @ minimal marathoner says:

I’m also training for Chicago this summer, starting on Monday…can’t wait!!

21. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

You did awesome with your goals!! I didn’t hit a 100 mile month until last year when I trained for the Philly marathon. It’s exciting to see the mileage climb week after week. I can’t wait to follow your training!

And I’m sure you’ll get those final 2 pounds!

22. Janalyn C Sullivan says:

Those are great goals! Keep it up, we believe in you