My Goals for Monday’s Ringing in Hope 10k

After registering for the Princess Half Marathon and Glass Slipper Challenge, which I will be running in February, I knew that I wanted to attempt at least once to improve my 10k personal record.  Because runDisney allows for runners to submit a 10k race time as proof of time for corral placement, my main goal is to PR at Monday’s race.  I ran this race last year, and my current 10k PR was set at last year’s race (which is 1:01:01, 9:50 pace).  Having run this race just a year ago, I am familiar with the course, and hope that will work to my advantage on Monday.

Running towards the finish line at last year’s Ringing in Hope 10k
Photo Credit: PR Races

Since I have only been running twice a week for the past month, I am a bit uncertain as to how Monday’s race will go.  I am optimistic that I will be able to run a strong race, given that I have felt strong during the majority of my runs over the past month.  However, I haven’t been “in training” for a specific race, so I am also trying to be realistic about how Monday’s race could go.

As usual, I have set three goals for myself:

Goal A – Finish the race in under 1:00:27 (9:45 pace)

Goal B – Finish the race in under 1:00:58 (9:50 pace)

Goal C – Finish the race in under 1:02:00 (10:00 pace)

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and that it won’t be overly humid for Monday’s race.  After having several days of 90 degree weather last year, we’ve been facing much cooler temperatures and have had lots of rain over the past couple of days.  Its still a bit too early to rely too heavily on the current forecast, but you can bet that with each day that passes that I’ll be checking the weather more frequently in hopes of a favorable race day forecast.

QOTD: How much does the weather affect your race day performance?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to My Goals for Monday’s Ringing in Hope 10k

1. kookyrunner says:

I hope that you have great weather for the race. We had a few 90 degree days last week and there were pretty brutal. My running really suffers in the heat, that’s why I prefer running in the Fall/Winter 🙂

Good luck for the race! Hot and humid weather definitely impacts my race performance but I’ve had some good luck in the rain 🙂

Hopefully the cooler temps will stick around for race day. The forecast for Memorial Day has gotten cooler over the week, and I hope that means good temps for me too. If it’s hot, I slow down a lot.

4. Wendy says:

I run much better in cooler conditions, for sure!

You just might surprise yourself!

5. I always go by the “train in hot weather for hot race day ” thought. Or run in the rain because it could on race day as well. Hope it’s not too hot for you

6. Although I run better in moderate temps, I don’t mind running in the heat. I figure, everyone else on the race course has to deal with it, too LOL

7. Our weather has certainly been all over the place! Have a great run Monday

8. Rachel says:

Good luck! I hope you hit your A goal. Can’t wait to read the recap!

9. Don’t sell yourself short Kathryn! You’ve gotten so strong and I bet you’ll break 60 min. My 10k Pr has expired ( as far as submitting it to Disney) so that’s something I need to work on too.

10. Hope the weather cooperates on Monday! You’ve worked hard and I agree with Meranda, I think you may surprise yourself on Monday if everything aligns 🙂 See you this weekend! I’m still TBD with the race haha.

11. Elaine says:

Best of luck with your goals for a 10K PR! It will be tough if heat is a factor but if you’ve trained in the heat then you may be acclimated and do well.

12. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I think you’ll do great in your race on Monday! The weather can definitely have an impact on me when it comes to racing, but I’m trying to be more adaptable and accept what the day brings.

13. tonee78 says:

Good luck! I hope the weather cooperates with you!!! I also love that you have an a, b and c goal.

I think you’re going to do better than you think at this 10K! 🙂 I also like to use my 10K time to submit for runDisney half’s!

15. Pingback: 2017 Ringing in Hope 10k Recap | From Dancing to Running